Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Question about a tunnel ram dual quad

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dmont37, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Dmont37

Dmont37

I have a 318 30 over with a 292 duration with a 508 lift and has 360 heads on it. The car that it's going in will have 8 3/4 rear it with a sure grip 391 gears. I was wondering if the 318 30 over could handle a dual quad tunnel ram with two 600 cfm carbs.

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Fitty Toomuch

Fitty Toomuch
    from WVa

Iv`e seen it done.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

One thing I have discovered through personal experience is that a tunnel ram is not a street friendly manifold.
    They are designed for a radical race engine and race conditions.
    When used on a street engine they are there mainly for looks and driveability will suffer.
    Not a good street manifold.

dana barlow likes this.

5. birdman1

birdman1

they use those carbs on 302 Fords, work fine. use progressive linkage, and learn a "feel" for the throttle.

6. Dmont37

Dmont37

Car going to be for car show and maybe go to the strip

7. 6-71

6-71

I am no expert,but have used a tunnel-ram on the street,they look cool,but will not perform well on a mild street engine.

8. Larry T

Larry T

I've run tunnel rams on several cars and never had any problem with them.

I've never run progressive linkage, because I always figured a tunnel ram would be more sensitive to distribution problems than a low profile intake. Vacuum secondary carbs will go a long way to covering up over carb problems.

And I always run a 3000 + converter.

international McKenzie McKayla.jpg

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    hipster and Hollywood-East like this.
  9. chriseakin

chriseakin

Rod and Custom put a tunnel ram on a 340 but they used a single four barrel - the manifold was a two piece so you could change what you ran without changing the whole thing. They said it was no problemo.

10. 69fury

69fury

you can do it and make it run nice- will it be optimized? no. will it be cool? probably. you'll have to monkey with it at first, but it shouldn't be too hard.-rick

11. prpmmp

prpmmp

I have a 302 ford roller motor with a b cam(284 dur-498lift?)gt40p heads,limefire headers.pertronics dis.,5spd stick in a glass 32 3 window(2640 with me in it)old wiend tunnal ram 2 390 vac sec carbs in sink.stock squarter is a 25 went up to a 35,stock jets 51(.050 drill hole) went to a #67(.068 drill hole),6.5 power valve.purple sec spring. stock squarter is a none tube type,guy a drill set # 0-60,drill out the squarter and jets till u dial it in it will save u money from buying squarters and jets(when dialed in buy what u need in the sizes that work) at idle i have 20 on the vac guage at highway i have 12 so when i step on it the vac drops below 6.5 the power vale opens and then the secs open with no bog,same with the squarter to help with the transfer to primary circuit. I also had to adjust the secondary throttle plates to close them to bring the idle down to 800rpm(1/4 turn counterclockwise). This was my setup,Ran great and very streetable!! Pete

12. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I have been running tunnel rams as far back as the TR-1( 18 in hi-school) then i was "blown" mid 20's never looked back, Now 25yrs. Later I bought a beat up truck that made "farm truck" look like nos, it had a 350 Chev with a tunnel ram w/msd ignition, I believe it was purchased as a "kit" I believe the carbs are 450cfm or 500 don't remember, But I am here to tell you, I was at the track with it idling an two Guy's walked up an peaked under the hood an both said I take back all my reservations Now on run'n a tunnel ram, it starts with no choke, two pumps on pedal in 15 below Zero , an will idle in two minutes, Whatever you do run mechanical secondaries! If you do run Holly vacums, You have to run a kit they used to offer that comes with two lids for the vacuum secondaries that connects w/a vacuum line..and got 15mpg.

Attached Files:

hipster, falcongeorge and ace5043 like this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Isn't the power band for most tunnel ram set ups, 3,500-7500? Hardly any low end torque? Just what I've read. Is my source correct?

14. ace5043

ace5043
    from Florida

IMHO & experience the smaller carbs such as two 390's would be optimal for street use.

15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, it is fairly accurate. One reason why they are not street friendly.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

OMFG!! REALITY intruding into a tunnel ram thread on the HAMB???!!!:rolleyes::D:D Oh, SAY IT ISNT SO!!!

hipster, prpmmp and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  17. Larry T

Larry T

The 292 cam matches up better with a tunnel ram than it does with "low end torque".

I ran 2 750 Edelbrocks on my last set up, but it was a Brodix headed/roller cammed 468.

18. prpmmp

prpmmp

Yep!! I lied about being street friendly!! As you can see in the video that the car ran like pure SHIT!!! Pete

Jet96, wraymen and falcongeorge like this.
  19. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I have run a street tunnel ram for 12 years now...tried 2x390 2x450 2x600...the small carbs responded at low rpm , the 600's at high rpm , but the 450's were the best over-all' you do need to learn what they will and won't do.I am running a manual trans. which makes driving easier IMO , if running an auto trans ,I'd guess a "loose" converter would be the way to go..
    dave

Hollywood-East and falcongeorge like this.
  20. Dmont37

Dmont37

Thanks for all the advice and the video was badass.

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Lighten up and relax Pete. Don't get your panties all in a wad.
    Everything isn't all about you.
    It's like anything else, there is always the disclaimer that says your results may vary. Or results not typical. :D

22. prpmmp

prpmmp

OK!! I feel much better now!! It isn't like you to criticize things on this forum:eek:!! You are always so nice:p!! Pete (I don't wear Panties!! I go Commando:eek:!!)

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Too much information Pete :D I am as nice as any old opinionated SOB, similar to yourself :D
    Aren't we having fun ?
    By the way, I am close to ordering the same tires you presently have on your coupe.
    Just have to get over the sticker shock :confused: Not to mention the exchange rate.
    Larry.

24. prpmmp

prpmmp

Yes Larry us old dudes do get cranky:)!! You will love the tires!! Pics when you get them!!! Will your car be on the for the summer?? Pete

25. Weiand's p/n 1984 (sbc) is rated 2800-8000. Mine runs awesome with 500 Eddy's and a 2500 stall. Straight linkage.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Both the first gen Weiand's and the Edelbrock TR-1YX's have excellent low end grunt. Most guys have no idea how to tune carbs, and they dont want to admit it, so they blame it on the intake. Really, just do the math at look what happens to peak torque with the runner CSA stays the same, and the runner gets longer...:rolleyes:

27. harley rider

harley rider

dyno shoot out. tunnel ram vs dual plane.

Chucky, gearheadruss, Larry T and 2 others like this.
  28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll put some pictures up when I get them, I don't think I'll make the road this summer, it seems like I'm getting close but there are a ton of small things to do.
    I'm going to tear it all apart and start painting and finishing everything. So that takes time.
    Also doing removable cycle fenders for easier registration inspection, even though running fenderless afterwards is not a problem.
    Time, money and the usual long list of build tasks, nothing out of the ordinary in this hobby. :)

29. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Great video! Thanks for posting it..