Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects A Full-Fendered Side Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2016.

1. pumpman

pumpman

Real nice job guys, has the look for sure. By the way I'm staying the hell away from T5's in the future.

2. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Just call Joe at the Auto parts store in Dripping and have him get you a one piece oil pan gasket, they really work. If thats a 283 you need the one with the thick front seal. 30 minute fix. Fel Pro 1880. The only downside is, that it is blue and about 50 bucks.

Old-Soul likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I've heard those do work... I'll look into it after the Round Up.

4. i put a thick one piece gasket in my 327 and it leaked any way i ended up cutting a piece of gasket material that fit into the groove, under the gasket and put the pan back on. no leaks.
    or you could leave the leak and put a hood on it, then everyone will think it has a flathead.:D:cool:

5. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rand Man, I hope you don't think I was hassling you about the T5. I was actually just asking exactly what trans it is. I'm not all that familiar with the T5 but I know there are a lot of variations of that trans (wc/nwc, tail shaft variants, etc.). I was hoping to find out which one Ryan and Keith think will live behind a healthy 327 and still put the shifter in the right location for my future reference.

Sure, it's not a Muncie but if it makes it enjoying your rod a more positive experience, I'm all for it. I'm a big fan of overdrive.

Congrats on a cool car!

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. jeta12

jeta12

Really love watching you guys work. Another great car back to life!!

Danekejt likes this.
  7. Rand Man

Rand Man

No Cowboy, I wasn't singling anybody out (cept maybe my old buddy Larry). I just write stuff for fun sometimes. I had a Muncie in my '57 chevy. I took it on a short leg of the Power Tour. That engine was tired after that. Kinda took the fun out of being totally hard core. I work in the engineering field. Multiple choice power delivery makes sense on paper and in the seat of the pants.

volvobrynk and 3wLarry like this.
  8. You look to be using a hurst or I expect a tardel cradle type front motor mount and then back to the rear tailshaft mount without the bellhousing support. Two schools of thought on that, but I guess that 5 speed won't put near as much weight on the bellhousing as a cast iron 4 speed would. Thoughts?

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I had one in the pile of parts I sent to machine shop, was in the "left-overs" box when done.
    They didn't even want to use it for the dyno pulls, said they had no luck with them ever since they first came out.

10. Really bad luck with the leakage but these things happen. Anyway, a very nice built with a perfect stance and I am sure Rand Man will enjoy and proudly drive it home (later). Yes, I confess to be jealous. ;)

11. Duke

Duke

Wow that looks right. What size are the tires?

12. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

It doesn't look that good...........ok........yeah it does.......

13. My Model A with a 283 and a Powerglide and has been running a Hurst mount and tranny tail shaft mount since it was built in the "60's. When I built my roadster (sbc/Richmond T10) I started hearing horror stories about that combo. So I went ahead and did it anyway. Both cars are fine. Obviously the A has the time and miles on it with no problems so I looked to that as the example. Maybe with a high horsepower engine it might be more of a problem.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Does it make a difference if the bellhousing is cast iron or cast aluminum? (Both GM?)

15. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

No. I know a few people that run this set up, me included, without the center mounts and it works just fine

16. glrbird

glrbird

55-57 thunderbirds use front timing cover mount and tail shaft mount from the factory.

kolmstead likes this.
  17. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Ryan. If it is the pan gasket or timing cover seal, why go through the trouble of pulling the motor? Both should be pretty easy to while still in the car (maybe remove the radiator to give better access to do the timing cover seal). Or am I missing something ?

18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We *might* be able to do that... It's just that the oil pan might not clear the oil pickup as we lower down and away from the Hurst motor mount. From just looking at it, the odds don't look like they would be in our favor. But again, we are gonna take a look after the Round Up. Neither of us saw any reason to half ass the thing to get it to the show...

19. seatex

seatex

sweet stance, like a catholic school girl wearing saddle oxfords:rolleyes: (oh, STOP!!!!)

Baldies likes this.
  20. primed34

primed34

Chevy slightly changed oil pans in '79. Put a brand new pan on a 327 in '79 and had the same leak. Takes a different gasket but I can't offhand remember which one. Only been like 37 years ago.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or at least in the open, like no radiator, etc. I'm surprised it didn't show up sooner, or did it? I was gone for a couple days and checked in just to see it done.

22. Wow, love how she looks! That's exactly how I'd like my 29 to look someday.

23. Rand Man

Rand Man

I love it. A few details to finish up. Very happy with Tardel's work (and Ryan). I contacted the engine builder. He's willing to send a new front cover. I told him the builders were still recovering from a hard-partying weekend and couldn't be bothered with such matters. I'M KIDDING!!!

24. Rand Man

Rand Man

I like your flyover video. Since I haven't got to see it in person, this is a cool "next best thing".

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Today is a bit nuts... The shop was just too full to get anything done, so we got a big ass storage unit and Keith spent much of yesterday and today getting shit moved into it in order to free up some space in the shop. That said, glass is in... Had a mishap with a cracked quarter piece, so we gotta go back to the glass shop, but... Shit happens.

131.jpg

26. Rand Man

Rand Man

So you were flying your toy airplane around, crashed it into the car, and broke a window. Come on man. That's great reality show material right there. Just train that thing to hover around the shop and keep filming. This stuff writes itself.

27. RodNoc

RodNoc
    from Kelso, WA

I apologize for asking this late in the build, but could you tell us what paint Keith used for the frame and chassis components? They look so correct. Itd be much appreciated

28. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Such a good looking coupe. @Rand Man - Congrats, it looks like you're getting a very cool Hot Rod!
    (I don't know if you remember, but we met at Autodesk University in Las Vegas a few years back. I saw you looking at the HAMB, of all things, on your laptop and had to stop by and introduce myself.)

Ryan and Keith, I really dig the shop. Thanks for letting us stop by last week.

IMG_20160407_115433143_HDR.jpg

29. Rand Man

Rand Man

Yeah Malcolm, I sure do remember that. Thanks! The car didn't make the Roundup, but looks like a lot of folks got to see it anyway. I'm kinda kicking myself for not going.

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The car is pretty much mechanically done now. In fact, both Keith and I drove it yesterday.... Just down the road, but drove it nonetheless... It's gonna be quick.

In any case, there are really just a few chores to finish... Namely, a fancy exhaust system and then, of course, the interior. We are just waiting on a window to open up at Cato's...

Here's a quick and dirty of how the car looks right now: