Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods One fog lamp ????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu D Baker, Apr 3, 2016.

1. We built the roadster as a long distance touring car. Thus it was more function over style. I remember one early very foggy Saskatchewan morning when I was happy that I had decided to install two fog lights!
    Alberni-Clayoquot F-20131115-00243.jpg

Attached Files:

2. clem

clem

I know that you didn't ask for my opinion, but
    Looks ugly to me, - too Symetrical.
    All the others on this page look good.

dsiddons and Stu D Baker like this.
  3. robracer1

robracer1

DSC01709.JPG Anyone ever install one fog light on a 32 with a gasser tank in front of grill?

40ragtopdown likes this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I dont think moon tanks and fog lights go together. A guy needs to pick a style and stay with it. Unless your racing in the fog.

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

7. ^^^^^Beautiful^^^^

41 GMC K-18, Stu D Baker and i.rant like this.
  8. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

While I really like your roadster, I've always felt that a car should have a "flavor", and IMHO, fog lamps just would not fit the "flavor" you have chosen. Of course you can throw as many flavors at your car as you want, it's your car.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

10. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

11. OLSKOOL32

OLSKOOL32

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459889234.014282.jpg
    Here's my 'passing' lite

12. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

while i dont have any pictures here at work. I love me some single fog lights. Duels are cool too. But im running the single on my model a. I really like the dark amber light vs the lighter yellow. Im not sure about the dark amber being a fog light or if its just a signal light. But i like it.

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dayuum, quite a few singles, but I looked again for old photos and I can only find pairs. I guess that since I like going through it so much I'm going to peek through the "vintage shots from days gone by" thread and see what shows up there. Clearly those are as accurate as we can get.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Only car that looked ok was the A6GCS Maserati from 1949. Bob

upload_2016-4-5_3-21-6.png

Flipper, Bandit Billy and Stu D Baker like this.
  15. I've had this discussion with a few guys older than me, mostly in their 70's and none could recall seeing single fog lamps on any Hot Rod during the golden age (except one guy who had a neighbor who lost one on the road and was too lazy to fix it). When and where this started I don't know, but it looks really stupid to me and having driven and raced rally cars in some pretty heavy fog, I really doubt that a single ,especially a old poor quality one, is going to be worth a shit. Just my opinion

16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect that and just maybe this is an outgrowth of an accessory which didn't originate on the west coast.
    The photo below is probably a Ford promo which I located in The V-8 Album by the Early Ford V-8 Club of America clearly showing a one fog light application.
    I have also heard of them being used as a passing light to illuminate the left side on a two lane road.
    BTW mine is functional and has a 12 volt 3 prong bulb that works just fine.

17. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Sorry about the double post, :confused:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

RE the 3rd lights on some cars (foreign and domestic) some were head lights (some even turned with the front wheels) to see around bends in the road), some were fog lights, and some were actually driving lights (even longer throw than hi-beams). Hard to tell, per model, what was what without a little research. Gary

19. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

Here in Canada,as far as i know back in the early 60's it was illegal to have 2 fog lamps on at once,you were only allowed to run 1,that is why you see a lot of old photos with only 1 light,in 1958 when they came out with 4 headlights they were illegal in some states until they amended the law,it also may have something to do with that too.myself i really like the look of 1 light,it makes the car look period to me. Harvey

20. tevintage

tevintage

I went with one. A very nice fellow HAMBr had one NOS vintage Auto Lamp mfg. available and it looked good. TEB

Attached Files:

21. .........................Well that settles that! I'm sure none of us on here would want to run afoul of the law.:rolleyes:..............insert tongue-in-cheek emoticon here.:D

41 GMC K-18 and i.rant like this.
  22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Well, if 'It's the law', far be it from me to deny my '27 tub one o' these yellow jobbies!

I'm just not sure it'll like it!

41 GMC K-18 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. If one digs deep enough, one can probably find a photo to support almost anything. That doesn't mean it was popular or seen regularly, and In some fairness I did say on a HOT ROD, which that photo clearly isn't. Like many current trends, I think this has become more popular now than it ever was, and while I still think it looks silly, for those that want to run one I certainly don't hold it against them - to each his own ;)

24. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

If the single is not centered it looks like one light fell off.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  25. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Single lamp and "dont" cut that grill!!!!!!!!!

26. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I think I need to find one of the fog lamps that "fell off". I suppose I could move the "duck" to the other side, (passenger side) since I don't think there's any special protocol for "duck position". Also, I guess I'm going to hold off cutting a hole in the grille. Bubba's 9 !!!!!!!!!!!!! scare me.;)

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hallelujah brothers! Another successful convert!

28. My 29 Roadster ( at least it was till I sold it ) fall hot rod pics 020.jpg

29. pecker head

pecker head

30. pecker head

pecker head