Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Paint type differences ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Looking for a little paint schooling here.
    I have a couple of options for available paint in the VOC compliance regulations up here.
    One is an acrylic urethane, single stage and the other is a polyurethane enamel.

What are the differences between them and what are the advantages or disadvantages ?
    The polyurethane enamel is sold as a fleet type paint, and they both say very high gloss and durability.

One is BASF RM Uno single stage acrylic urethane http://www.refinish.basf.us/rm_unohd

The other is PPG Delfleet Essential polyurethane enamel http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Products/Commercial-Coatings/Delfleet-Essential

Larry

2. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

Acrylic urethane will be much harder than polyurethane. Very difficult to color sand and buff unless done very soon (within few days) after painting.

Polyurethane is more chip resistant and more chemical resistant. Much longer window if you plan to color sand and buff.

Imron was a polyurethane. For years, polyurethanes were very difficult to lay down without orange peel unless put on so wet as to be at the point of multiple runs. The stuff used in top line polyurethanes has changed over the last several years, and now the ability to lay it down with good gloss is on par with acrylic urethane. Polyurethane colors are generally "cleaner" than acrylic urethanes too.

3. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

PPG Delfleet Essential polyurethane enamel is really good stuff. If you go with their standard colors, it is a very tough and cost effective coating.

VR&C.

4. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I have used the acrylic urethane under the limco label, pretty durable.

5. I hear any purple paint is the best.
    acrylic urethane, polyurethane, single stage, base clear, or enamel
    Purple is the best

Saxman likes this.
  6. I've painted several things with the Uno. I like it.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: :D:D

8. fms427

fms427

I used Delfleet on the Wildfire - agree with the orange peel comment ( I just thought it was me ... ) - and it does color sand and buff nicely. I would recommend it. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460126304.903196.jpg

9. I shot an OT truck with delfleet years ago. Pretty forgiving if you cut & buff. I had lots of positive comments on it.... and I'm a hack!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016