Register now to get rid of these ads!

History "Bombs" versus Traditional

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldSchoolIsMoreCool, Apr 2, 2016.

1. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"Bombs" and Lowriders are two separate styles. Typically, "Bombs" are late 40's - early 50's Chevys with 1954 being the usual cut off year. They concentrate on ALL original power plants, body styles and looks, with a hunger for OEM accessories to spice up the mix. They may or may not ride low. Lowriders are about flash and chrome and of course, ALWAYS ride low. Body and engine swaps are allowed. Sometimes the two styles mix, but not often.

Google the Hispanic car culture in Southern California, following WWII.

2. I like the postive feedback on the bombs because to be honest I thought the hamb was going to rip my ass up for posting about them lol at least I know what I like is cool around here!

i.rant and The37Kid like this.
  3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I kinda dig lowriders, hard not to like all that flake, veiling, lace ect at least a little. Bombs? Sorry,I am old enough that I was one of the guys that called them gook wagons, hell, we called them that in the seventies. Corn Fed nailed it for me.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  4. Some accessories-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ford52PU, i.rant and kiwijeff like this.
  5. mike bowling

mike bowling

Bombs? I've always liked those- funky and cool at the same time. They make me think of L.A. and guys in Zoot Suits hangin' on the corner checking out the girls back in the 50's.
    They almost look like the predecessor to the "tail draggers" on the chart of automotive evolution, and those really get my head spinning!

Picture from TROG, 2015.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  6. I have been looking for a vintage photo I found this-
    [​IMG]

Speedys Garage likes this.
  7. Bring it on baby!
    Love those bomb cars. Remember them rolling around here in Okie land as a kid. They were just plain cars then and usually without all the extra accessories.
    Glad someone gave us the fine delineation between "bombs" and "low riders". Personally, not attracted to 60's and 70's "low riders". I've bought a few low rider magazines just to see the 40's and 50's bombs.

Old school non metallic paint, six bangers, and crazy accessories. Prefer stock size wheels of course.

OK Old School, post up some pics of your project......

8. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

From a old hot rod guy I do love the low riders and Bombs

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Your not a real car guy if you don`t like bombs and lowriders. The reactions from the general public while cruzing around are amazing.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  10. Jibs

Jibs

Love the bombs, lowriders not so much.

11. I can't find any real vintage photographs-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    Ford52PU, michael knight and babygirl like this.
  12. Part of the reason I like the bombs, is because of the passion.
    They live it! It's not some passing fad or trend.
    Just like oval track racing and hot rodding is my life!

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  13. prpmmp

prpmmp

Names,Names!! We don't need no stinking Names!!! They are all cars with different styles!! Call any car what you want its still a car!! Pete

falcongeorge and 54fierro like this.
  14. Road Runner

Road Runner

15. I had never seen Bombas in my neck of the woods. a few years ago i was at the Pomona swap and was blown away by them, the build quality is second to none. the passion they have for them was impressive and it's great to see whole families piled inside. the sixes sound great!

16. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I really like Deadend Magazine for the great mix of quality kustoms, ranflas and bombas featured and the cultures they represent.

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Call it hog wash if you want. I read an article in Lowrider years ago that Mexicans used to walk around there villages (before the automobile)in there fancy attire on special occasions. As the years passed and the Mexicans continued the tradition in the United States and there fancy attire(Zoot Suits) transferred in the automobiles. Thus accesorising there cars with extra chrome and do dads. It was basically a cultural thing in select parts of one particular neighbor hood. Not a wide spread tradition. Then it spread slowly from community to community. Mainly Mexican-American based. Hot Rod magazine was started In 1948 and spread to the Midwest in the early to mid fifties. Lowrider magazine was started in the 70`s and didn`t reach the Midwest(news stands) until the early to the mid ninties. So you can see why there is not many vintage photos available.

OG lil E and gimpyshotrods like this.
  18. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

"bombs" Is slang for "La Bomba"

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Bomba" es una expresión idiomática que es corto para grandilocuente, en otras palabras, it is short for bombastic, meaning boastful, or highfalutin.

Special Ed and Moondog13 like this.
  20. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

They are all just names.
    Mine is mostly stock, lowered, straight pipes, not many accessories. Dont know where it would fall :)
    I like accessories that add to the car not just to "load them up"

read your post and immediately thought of this. haha
    [​IMG]

21. babygirl

babygirl
    from Texas

22. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

Bombs were not popular (among most) back in the 50s, doesn't mean they weren't cruising around. But I do think they fall right in with traditional hot rods and customs. Maybe because they have a lot of love for the old parts just like the rest of us. And they're fucking awesome to look at!
    When it comes down to it, I don't spend my money building bombs, I prefer hot rods and customs, but I helped my girl (baby girl) build her truck and I really love getting to cruise behind a bomb all the time, good eye candy.

23. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

What? Just after world war 2? Dang...
    And I thought "Bomb" was like the spanglish for "Bomba (bomb)" because they were round all over mostly...
    Im Mexican from Southern Cal and i still have a hard time trying NOT to put hydraulics in my cars. :)

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bring it up. I will put them in.:cool:

Black Clover Custom likes this.