Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Dodge 331 hemi p/u project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bostonhemi, Aug 31, 2015.

1. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the second project I have been working on. I had been thinking about this truck for a couple of years and Ron who did most of the work finally decided to sell it to me w/o the engine/trans. I had a 331 hemi before the truck that I bought from Marshall in FL.
    The choice was between 3 vehicles when I was looking. There was a white Chrysler coupe (a 31 I believe), an extended cab 33 Dodge p/u I still think about, but needs more than I can handle now and the 34 you see in the pic.
    The engine is a 331 Chrysler hemi that I believe was rebuilt at some point with the 4v wet intake, the trans. th350 with a 22-2400 stall converter and the rear end is an open ford 8''. The body is glass, the frame original boxed with x frame, bed is metal.
    Its much further along than the 31 coupe and almost drivable except for the shifting linkage and steering. Hopefully next winter when I go back down south. I have a lot of photos so I thought I'd just share them. I'll keep posting them from time to time.

Attached Files:

2. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few more photos.

Attached Files:

3. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found some more photos. Used a 318 waterneck elongated the holes. napa for hoses, oil filter relocation kit original wont fit by firewall. still had to use spacer for later afb to early carb intake.

Attached Files:

4. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Had to install oil bypass with the modern filter for full flow.

Attached Files:

5. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Finally got back to 1 of my projects. I luv FLA. I connected the universal shift linkage from the column to the th350 it was pretty easy if u follow the steps. The hardest part was crawling up n down from under the truck. All I got left to get it on the road is a water pump and the steering rod. I had to get a longer shaft because I had to the remount the heim from the side of the motor mount (frame plate) to the top of the frame rail making the shaft an inch short. I hope to have it on the road by the end of the month.

Attached Files:

dwollam, kidcampbell71 and mgtstumpy like this.
  6. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was able to do a little more this week. I got the water pump back and painted it, got the hood ornament to fit flush and put the new steering shaft in place. My friend steve welded the loose grill together where it needed it. Maybe next week the new gas pedal and throttle cable will go in.

Attached Files:

7. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little more progress this week.

Attached Files:

8. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I finished painting the grill and hood ornament today. I made a stand for the emblem so I could paint around the edges. My friend Josh (an artist) painted the Firepower for me. The engine is running great but I didn't seem to get enough atf so I'm going try to do that next week and take it out for the first time with the Hemi. I'm also going to add a Dodge emblem to the tailgate. Has anyone stripped the chrome off one in there garage? Mine has some blisters and I would like paint it.

Attached Files:

dwollam, mgtstumpy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. i have blasted the chrome off in my sand blast cabinet.
    cool project keep up the good work.

10. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Like the truck, at least you are making progress.

11. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My friend took an overhead pic of the engine. I also took it out of the garage after filling the transmission. Unfortunately I found a trans. leak. Its either coming out of the pan gasket (I hope) or the stud where the shift linkage connects to. Is it possible to fix the leak without dropping the tranny (TH350) if its where the shifting rod mounts?

Attached Files:

12. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it is possible to fix it without dropping the tranny. But, a common problem with 350 and 400 trannys is the seat that the shift linkage slides into tends to oblong out. Then again what would a chevy tranny be if it didn't leak some fluid.

13. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TY fat47. I took the truck out again today after I added some radiator flushing fluid to it.

Attached Files:

exterminator and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. F&J

F&J

:) Quit stalling and get the radiator shell on it for a pic....that is the focal point for any "33" Dodge car or truck.. Yes I know you said 34, but I think the 33-35 pickups used the 33 car shell? I always liked the 33 Dodge, car, truck, whatever...

I was jealous when I read years ago that Barbara Streisand had a 33 Dodge cabriolet rod... I wonder if she ever used it.

dwollam and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK ok I'm getting there. Flushed out the cooling system yesterday and I finished sanding the insert today and painted the back of it. I should have it in by this weekend.

Attached Files:

16. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I Finished assembling the grill and insert yesterday.

Attached Files:

17. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More progress.

Attached Files:

18. F&J

F&J

Finally put the grille shell on....Now it has the look I was wanting to see.

Nice looking build..

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Dirty30Dodge

Dirty30Dodge
    1. Upholstery

20. moparmanillinois

moparmanillinois

hello, im interested in buying this, i couldn't reply to your other post. im in petersburg Illinois 217-685-1076 call or text thanks!

21. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sold to a friend. I might be able to post more pics when he finishes it.

22. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My friend is getting right to it. He started by elevating the engine a bit and rebuilding the engine. So far he put a hotter cam in it 270 and 465 lift, rebuilt heads with new valve job, new bearings and piston rings, distributer, new intake and front pullys and timing chain cover.

Attached Files:

23. 392

Nothing like a hemi. Should be a killer ride.

farmer12 likes this.
  24. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The engine is together again. He said the rings were wrong and it needed a new oil pump n bearings, valve job all was done.

Attached Files:

25. farmer12

farmer12

Great project!

26. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its registered and drivable finally. He did some simulated woodgrain inside will post pics when I get em.

Attached Files:

27. exterminator

exterminator

28. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Next in line is a new interior, glass and lots of sanding.

Attached Files:

dwollam and exterminator like this.
  29. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More progress was made. There was a lot of sanding. I think he's going to get more traditional gauges and woodgrain the dash. If anyone knows someone whos interested in the gauges send me a pm.

Attached Files:

dwollam and exterminator like this.
  30. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The windows were installed and working properly and the engine compartment is done.

Attached Files:

dwollam, exterminator and tb33anda3rd like this.