Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects choppin my 46 Ford Business Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tim Steele, Feb 15, 2016.

?
  1. lookin really cool

63 vote(s)
    95.5%
  2. you ruined that car

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. The37Kid

The37Kid

That chop is perfect! It was mentioned that this is a "Short Door'", did Ford make a long door as well? Bob

56don likes this.
  2. You did a fantastic job on a car that is one of the most difficult to look right chopped. Ford should have made them all like that. You have the skills and artistic vision of a genius. Sounds over the top a little don't I?

3. phat rat

phat rat

Yes. The short door is the business cpe and the long door is the club/sedan cpe. Different roof lines and about 10" difference in door lenght

4. Tim Steele

Tim Steele

Wow! thanks for the compliments,yeah they did make the long door as well,it has a back seat and the roof line flow is totally different.The rear window has a different placement when itrs chopped .it is a bit closer to the trunk lineas well

5. Tim Steele

Tim Steele

I learn a lot of what Im doing from web sites like the hamb.Im not in a car club or anything .and mostmy buddies have muscle cars.None of them do fab work.I always loved the chopped Mercs and 40 ford coupe all time favorite.I ask myself after all this work why didn't I build a 40 ford?I looked at probably every 46- 48 ford coupe ,short door and long door that I could find and modified everything on my car that I saw and liked .But its all in what you like .and I believe the end ,Its what I liked and what I built .Pround to say .I'm the Owner ,Builder ,and soon to be the Driver. O.B.D.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

There is a stalled '41 Coupe project locally, not that I need another project, how long are the "Short" doors? Bob

7. Tim Steele

Tim Steele

Thanks ,I just started at one end and worked my way around the car ,I had an idea of the way I wanted it to look and the Book I have ( how to ch0p a top) helped in where to cut the roof. After that, just step back and look at a distance ,check out the profile and cut a little more till you like it,or move a little more.then start welding and adding filler pieces.I guess the way I did it worked .Im sure a professional shop would have done much better than I but my body lines and mine and my design is mine.with all the compliments I feel I did pretty Awesome .Thanks again for the motivation!

8. Tim Steele

Tim Steele

I need guys like you in my circle. Abundant amounts of motivation

9. Tim Steele

Tim Steele

I will check it out ,Thanks for the tip

10. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Man, stellar job on your killer ride!

11. Tim Steele

Tim Steele

All the little stuff pulls it together.all subtle mods ,only 3" chop,1 1/2"slant on B pillar,not radical.More always isn't better.Just like when I set up the air bags .The frame lays on the ground, which is too much ,But damn! it sure looks sick if I pull in and drop it on the ground.I want to just hit the bags and keep rollin,Not if I hit the bags when rollin through a cruise Im gonna come to a screeching halt.What to do!

12. Tim Steele

Tim Steele

right on ,Thanks!

13. Tim Steele

Tim Steele

Tim\'s pics from phone 1292.jpg this was the rear pan and trunk area after I diassembled the car .certainly more rust than I had even thought there would be

14. Tim Steele

Tim Steele

Tim\'s pics from phone 036.jpg this is when I was fabbing the headers,later took them out and tig welded them and ceramic coated them.nothing after, market would fit due to the fact I recessed the fire wall ,and alsothe car sits so low ,all after market headers were either too long or too low.like I said before im not a professional,just a shade tree mechanic.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Capt Chap likes this.
  15. Tim Steele

Tim Steele

16. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Man this car is KILLER!
    I've got a long door 46 with the stock flathead that I'm hoping to get going soon.

I've got the same issues with the rot in the rear that you went through but sadly none of the skills you possess to get rid of it lol.

I saw a killer 3 window conversion someone did on one of these that I'm thinking of modeling mine after.

17. slo-dat

slo-dat
    from Coulee, WA
    1. Upholstery

Any updates, Tim?

18. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Perfect, beautiful work. Can't wait till you finish it.

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm sorry that this thread stalled almost seven years ago. How about an update? Is the car painted and finished? The car is sensational, definitely in a class by itself!

20. alchemy

alchemy

Look him up in the phone book and give him a call to come back to the HAMB