Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What would you do?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by porknbeaner, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Ok my disclaimer just off the top and a few ground rules.

Someone sent me these pics and I do not know where this old heap is.

Next this is not a pissing match and no drama is accepted. Heated discussion is good just be prepared to explain your position or we will consider it to be drama. That should be easy enough for any of you correct?

Other then that the sky is the limit and we are going to have fun with it, right?

So here is the deal, like I said someone sent me these pics saying that they did not know anything about the car either but if I only had enough money to get this home and knew where it was at "What would you do with it?"

So knowing the above criteria and using your best detective abilities as to what this is and how it is equipped and etc. "If you found this and only had enough *budget to get it home what would you do with it?"

*budget may be considered current knowing that there will always be more money and maybe you do have liquid assets like parts or projects you no longer need to supplement what you have on hand. This is just dependent on your outlook on life I suppose.

side shot.jpg

motor.jpg

side shot 2.jpg

2. Well, if I could, I would definitely get it home. If nothing else, just cover it up until I had more funds to take it apart and see if it was within my ability to fix it.

3. It's pretty cool, but to be quite honest, I'd sell it too one of those guys who pay way too much money for a clapped out deuce.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Late fifties channelled deuce five window, with a hemi and looking at the master cylinders, probably '52/'54 ford swing pedals?? And you have to ask??? yes, its rough, yes, its a LOT of work, but really?? Only thing is, the date on the photos looks to be 2001??

5. Moondog13

Moondog13

I'd pee on it to mark my territory. Then I'd call AAA and tell them my car broke down... a lot. No money necessary with my solution.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

"*budget may be considered current knowing that there will always be more money and maybe you do have liquid assets like parts or projects you no longer need to supplement what you have on hand. This is just dependent on your outlook on life I suppose."
    benno, is this some kind of secret coded message to me??:p

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if I only had enough money to get this home and knew where it was at I would sell it and buy a motorhome.

8. Squablow

Squablow

Assuming "get it home" means buying it and not just taking it, I think I'd build a sled out of wood to get under the wheels so it could be dragged onto a flatbed without the ability to roll or catch on anything. Then once it was delivered I'd powerwash it inside and out (and underneath) to really see how bad it was.

I'm more of a roadster guy anyway, and I had and traded a 32 5w because it's not quite my dream car, but this car would be neat to see it semi-restored into the version that it looked like before it got dumped there. I suppose if I were selling it, I'd prefer if my buyer had that vision for it too.

9. My initial answer was that I would check out the motor real well and if I could safely make it first light it off, fix the brakes and drive it rough until I could afford to move on with it. I would have to have air in the tires but I think I would like a little rake so I may play with the rear suspension a little bit but not enough to alter the integrity of it.

Future funding here:

I got a funny take on survivor rods. First off I doubt if the original builder wanted it to be a rust bucket so I don't see that fixing the rust would be a problem. Next if it is not a car with proven history as in a famous car there is no reason not to make it my own. I have specific guidelines along the nature of making it my own, I would not want to ruin the integrity or flavor of the original build. If I found an old heap that was easily put into an era for example I would not want to take it from that era. In this one I may want to change the rake a little bit or maybe the arrangement of the gauges in the dash.

my initial thoughts were to unchannel it enough to show the reveal of the deuce chassis, but I would actually be torn on it. I don't like to completely hide a deuce chassis but then again I would like to retain the flavor that the original builder put into this stew. Make sense?

Too add to the mystery my brain says Chrysler does someone not agree with my deduction on the motor?

Sancho likes this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Fab some headers and find an injection system. Bob DSCF1671.JPG DSCF1670.JPG

Stogy, dad-bud, volvobrynk and 3 others like this.
  11. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

At my age, I think Dan has the right idea.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'd leave it right where it was unless free..If I had help [again free] I'd take it home and put it in the front yard for art and let the wife [well she'd have to let me put it there in the first place!] plant some flowers around it..There would be a little sign that would say "eat your heart out Biff"....

13. raymay

raymay

Yup, looks like a great subject for yard art.

14. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I've got about $1.64 in my pocket in change, is that good enough for "money to get it and get it home"? Other than that, just look at the pictures and dream about "what if..."

15. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

16. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I like the car...but, man, it is rough!!! Makes me squirm that somebody just left it out sitting like that, for LOTS of years by the looks of it! Honestly, I'm not sure what I'd do with it....but, it would look fine just sitting and drawing attention to itself by it's presence of "I'm still here".....''until'' I could figure out what to do with it! I think I would ''at least'' see what is still usable on it...and go from there.....I ''do'' like the car though;)...Ray

17. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I'd drag that home in a heartbeat ,clean it up and see whats left. If its too thin to fix right it would make a nice drag car, leave it channeled and build a tubing frame.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  18. It would be cool to research it and see if anything turns up. With the price of 32s, I would be inclined to flip it like @Dan Hay mentioned. But, If I had the space it would make a fun long term project. Lotso good stuff there. @vintagehotrods

Dan Hay likes this.
  19. Seb, I gotta agree with you. That ones way out of my ball park. Bruce.

20. LMFAO That's just wrong on so many levels. :D :D

Hard to tell from the pics but it doesn't look like a forget it type of a car in the pics. My A is probably gone for the bottom 8" and it seems plenty doable to me.

but the car in question probably won't buff out for sure. ;)

They're all coded brother, oh wait a minute this isn't one of those sites. :D

21. Well Don,you don't need it,you bought my old coupe,actually you bought your old coupe from me and to be perfectly honest it is a much nicer body.:D

I am a sucker for a deuce and car in question has potential and a hemi, my only problem is it's a long term project and I already have too many projects.

If finances were better I would build a period hot rod. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Get it home, determine what you have, get it to at least roller or functioning status and go from there. Then keep or sell for another existng project funding. Everything is fixable and initial asking price would determine whether to get it in the first place.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. I'm a glutton for punishment! I'd bring my trailer & shovel and digger-out. Then I'd start some detective work and go from there.

24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

the bank of larry is open beano, but you gotta leave it at my place as colateral

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  25. prpmmp

prpmmp

I don't have the time,talent,insight,balls,money and everything else to help this poor car!! I would just stand there with my thumb up my arse thinking what have I got myself into:eek:!! Pete

26. I second that!

27. atch

atch

x2

28. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I would get it home,do a quick inspection and oil up stuff so it rolls and maybe get the engine to turn over.
    Stuff it in a non car type friends barn.After a couple years of adding layers of dust and letting the pidgeons use it for dive bombing practise let slip a rumor of a lost hot rod in a barn.
    Sit back and watch all the locals try and out maneuver each other trying to find it without admitting they have heard about or are looking for it.
    Invent some wild tales about it's history for my friend to spin to prospective buyers.You know,race history,tales of elicit activity,owned by a recluse who got it from his aunts cousins stepfathers widowed great uncle.
    Secretly video tape the negotiations to watch the "it's only worth $3.00 " offers from know tightwads(who when selling ask the moon for their stuff)
    Sell it for a so I can fund my 1957 Hudson 4 door resto ;)
    Wait for the HAMB thread about a fresh "barn find"

29. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I've fixed worse but under duress. What a shame.

30. atch

atch

PB,

I've got a lot of negative opinions about the feasibility of rebuilding that hemi; what with the open carb and apparently no sparkplugs in the holes. The odds are nearly a slam dunk that the block is cracked. HOWEVER; that being said, those door handles are probably worth more than my first car cost. And many a very nice hot rod has been built with way less to start with.

kiwijeff likes this.