Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mr. Palumbo's Shoebox project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buddy Palumbo, Sep 10, 2011.

1. rodster500

rodster500

Alan,
    Car looks great and thank goodness your daughter got her looks from mom! :D
    Rod

2. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

wow, Buddy. you really came a long way. she's looking great! Thumbs up!

love the fly-by

Paul B and vwdave30 like this.
  3. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Damn, Rod - that was COLD , lol ! Of course, I could say the same for Aaron, or he'd never get any chicks ! Good to hear from ya, it's been a while.

Thanks, dude. It's been a long road on such a tight budget. Not nearly finished, but drivable. That's a start ! Hard to compete with guys with tons of expendable cabbage.

I love the sound of the car in the fly by video. Sounds good with headphones on . I've gotta shoot a couple more videos, better ones too, LOL

4. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I uploaded a little video I shot today , showing some of the stuff I did to the car . I missed a few things , but I thought it'd be cool to do an video update . Not a fantastic video , shot it with my phone when my digital camera decided to go belly up when I started shooting ... typical , lol ! Enjoy !!

tierod and Paul B like this.
  5. vwdave30

vwdave30

Car is lookin good man i dig it

6. Nice walk around. Well done.Car is looking, sounding great.

7. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks guys. I did miss a couple things, like the dual master cylinder and disc brakes, but I'm suprised I remembered as much as I did, ha-ha. I really hate hearing my own voice (especially with this cold I've got) , so I rarely speak on a video. Guess I must've just been in the mood.
    Thanks for watching

8. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

Wow, super nice job ! That's one great looking shoebox ! Hope mine will be as nice one day.

9. jerseymike

jerseymike

man you've really come a long way this car! looks and sounds good. happy for ya.

10. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks . I don't know... Your Shoebox already looks pretty damn nice. It's certainly come along since you got it.

Thanks, Mike . It's been a long struggle, that's for sure. You know all about that problem ! I say it again and again, it's just nice to be able to drive it around, even in primer. Your Shoebox is gonna knock the HAMB on its ass when it finally makes its debut. Next year ?

11. Baldies

Baldies

Just finished reading through your thread. Nice build.

12. Allen,
    Nice video, You forgot to mention the Sinclair bumper sticker. I got one on my OT daily :)
    Pat

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks guys ! I've had that Finzio's Sinclair sticker for a bunch of years now. I needed a good place to put it , and I figured the back bumper of the Shoe was a decent spot. I've gotten a bunch of questions about it when people notice it.

14. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

As you guys following my quest may have noticed, I never got to do my route 66 trip this year. As it turns out, my house decided it needed a roof right away (was hoping to hold out a couple more years) , so that ate up any funds I may or may not have had, lol ! Having a roof on the house that doesn't leak is pretty important.
    In lieu of that, were going to aim for 2016 for our trip. It sucks not to be able to do it this year, but whatcha gonna do ?! Life happens . It's actually going to work out OK in the end car-wise because the delay is giving me time to work out some short-comings with the car. It will have new kingpins and a new steering box as well as the Maverick rear . It will also get a much-needed drive line angle correction , which will entail a floor tunnel reconstruction and a new driveshaft :( . All that sucks , but I want it to be as right as it can be ... drivability-wise anyways ;) . Dad and I already have the trip kinda figured out , so I'm not really worried about that part. Hopefully I have enough money left to do a retro radio setup so I don't have to put some kinda modern deal in there. I do have a nice Blaupunkt under the workbench I can hide under the seat of needed. We'll see. I will have to buy speakers as well , since the rat bastard hillbillies next door broke into my garage and stole a couple sets I had (and some other stuff) for cigarette money. This used to be a nice place to live until they moved in. Actually the whole town is going to crap since there are so many slumlords buying up properties to rent out to welfare folks, since the state pays every month on time. Those people generally don't care what they do to the property , or to the neighbor's property (or property value) . Got their hands out for all kinds of things they didn't earn. Damn, I wanna move ! Enough of that rant ... I really got off track , LOL !

Until then (if it ever stops raining) I'll just drive it till the spread the salt. Then it's on to the fixin' !

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    daddio211 likes this.
  15. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Life gets in the way sometimes. Making the hard choice in life is what makes a good family man. Yeah you could have said screw it and did the drive without doing roof but this winter or spring you'd be pissed at yourself when stuffs getting ruined. I picked redoing our bottom half of our house instead of working on my shoebox too. I do plan to blow mine a part and redo a few things but it will come later rather than sooner.

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Lol , it definitely sucks to be a grown up sometimes ! At least all the effort/time I've invested in planning the trip can be transferred to next year. The roof couldn't wait - the joys of home ownership :) .

17. Great thread! Why Butch Bohunk couldn't'a done a better job!

18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks, nitrobrother. Your right, even Butch would be happy with the Penny Pincher.
    Had it out a bunch the last few days. I'll be sad when they salt all the roads and the driving season is over. It's gonna be soon, I'm afraid :(

19. Nice build, appreciate you taking the time to document the process. Inspires me to put down the wrenches and submit some of my fails and wins with the latest creation. You have given me several solutions to challenges along the way with the Sbox build.

20. Just read back through this again, looking great! Will definitely be referring to this when I start work on mine this weekend! Also, let me know when you'll be in Tulsa on your 66 trip and we can grab a bite to eat or something.

21. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I haven't had a computer for a few months and have been doing the HAMB thing on my new-fangled smartphone. I miss a lot :( .
    Anyways ... Thanks a lot for the positive comments. I appreciate it.

I'm glad you're going to be getting some help from the thread. That's really the reason I started it, to sorta pay back for all the help I've gotten from the HAMB . This is really my first real hotrod/custom build, so I've learned a lot.

Spring will hopefully be here to stay soon, so I should be able to get rolling on some shortcomings of the Penny Pincher, then drive the hell out of it !

Oh yea, I will definitely get a hold of you when we're in your area. It would be nice to meet some friends from the HAMB.

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Shot this pic this morning (Sorry for the crappy cell pic)
    This is the first time I've seen the dash in gold with all the knobs and the radio installed. I repaired and lubed as many of the cables as i could , and spent this past weekend installing the stuff. I have the radio installed for now, got sick of looking at the hole in the dash, lol. It will be eventually going to get converted once I save some wampum.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    tierod and captaintaytay like this.
  23. Notsofurias

Notsofurias
    from Clovis,CA

Looking good !!! I'm digging the moon gauges !

24. Sweet and sparkly....

25. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks guys. The moon triple gauges were grabbed from a pervious build - I couldn't bring myself to let them go :) . The tach was actually from a dash-mounted set. Bought it from a friend and had it in a box for a while. I had to make a pod and mount for it, but I love it ! It even says on it "Made in the good ole USA" ... Can ya believe it ?!

You should have seen the first color I chose for the dash - it was crazy ! It was very sun-yellow-gold with the flake. Personally, it was awesome , just not for this build. I wish I would've kept the heater box I painted, to hang on the wall . The dash looks mucho-cool in the sunlight.

tierod likes this.
  26. PCJ

PCJ
    from Austin, Tx

Didn't see if you got the maverick rear in yet, if not another option is a mid to late 90's explorer / mountaineer 8.8, they're the right width, bolt pattern, already have disc brakes and I think some come with limited slips. They can also be found for pretty cheap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

No, I haven't gotten the Maverick rear in yet. I have it all painted up, have all new parts for the brakes (except for the handbrake levers I'm missing) , new seals and I bought a limited slip center with 3:5 gears from a friend to install in it . We also made up some offset drop blocks to make the install easier (that's the plan, anyways ;) ) . I just need to get off my ass and get some stuff done - need the weather to cooperate as well , lol.
    We've been kicking ass on Craig's 65 mustang resto for his son- you oughta see it , looks great. We've got to get some runability issues straightened out on Craig's Shoebox as well. It sucks to not be 100% confident in your ride :( .

28. Tell me about it.............................

29. zip357

zip357
    from fresno,tx

Im with you on that had the car running good for the 1st time and I seen fluid all on the back by the tires turns out wheel cylinder went bad on me. So I know about no feeling 100% so close but yet so far