Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 54 Chevy Firewall stantions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Early Ironman, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I removed the firewall stantions and recessed my firewall a few inches.
    My question is if anyone has experienced excessive flex in the body due to this. My father is an engineer and he expressed his concern that the windshield may break. He was also a rodder back in the day and had heard it could happen back in the 60s.
    Thanks

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Probably several million '49-'54 Chevvies running with V8s & the ribs cut out. Doesn't seem to make much difference.

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Richie Glymph's chopped 54 had a cracked windshield, and IIRC, he attributed it to removing the reinforcements.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. not needed, they were actually only there to hold the body on the assembly line and thenre used for body mts

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Are you speaking of the vertical stiffeners on the firewall or are you speaking of the front-most body mounts ?
    If the vertical stiffeners, guys have trimmed or removed them, without reported problems. But, if they were thought not to be needed, GM wouldn't have spent the time or money to include them.
    If you have removed the front-most body mounts, that removal has the possibility of problems for you.

6. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I removed mine with no issues with a big block as well, I have seen hundreds of them trimmed or removed, I have never pulled a wheelie but that might crack the windshield.
    Godspeed
    MrC. IMG_20141129_163838_308.jpg IMG_20141130_125616_489.jpg

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

It's your car and your desire to remove the stanchions. I suggest you follow your dreams because as others have said there are many car's out there with them removed and without issue's. The 56 in my aviator had them unbolted and without support from any bushing for years until I finally got everything painted. No issue's. I'm sorry but Father's "could happen" is likely from some other over sight involving more structural removal or structure changes that over weakened the body of those he's referring to.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

When are you young turds going to learn that Dad is always right:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Here is my firewall it's not finished yet.

Attached Files:

10. Again, are you speaking of the vertical stiffeners on the firewall or are you speaking of the front-most body mounts ?

11. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I notched the LH side to clear rear carb "6 cyl". A pal once had a 52 hardtop with SBC transplant & they both were gone before he acquired it. He went with the split 2 piece windshield & logged lots of miles on it yet he experienced no cracked glass. Flux.
    image.jpeg

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done about 20. No issues.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    flux capacitor likes this.
  13. Brian: If it was a convertible, it may be an issue. Being a hardtop car I wouldn't worry about it.

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This is one of those things that has been beat to death, but it keeps coming up. Most guys will TRIM the uprights just enough so valve covers clear, and then TRIM the lower portion just enough to clear exhaust manifolds. There are guys who remove the entire rib and support/body mount, and claim they've had no issues. Most things are a little over engineered to begin with. When we did the V-8 swap into the 51 Bus Coupe, we removed just enough to do the job, but tried to keep it looking as stock as possible, and doing a clean job. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

The virtical stiffeners.

16. As said, you'll probably never have an issue, with trimming or removing vertical stifferers.
    Now, if the front-most body mounts are being removed, that may create issues.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have done post, hardtop and convertible in my time.

Hardtops and convertibles have more structure in the body. They also have additional metal inside the top of the top hat frame rail.

Traditional?

18. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

19. You probably have more strength in that firewall now, due to the recess, than what the vertical stiffeners provided.

lothiandon1940, Tman and gas pumper like this.
  20. junkman8888

junkman8888

Those braces are not there to brace the body, they are there to brace the frame. You need to remember the "top-hat" style of frame used under your Chevy originated in the mid 30's, so by the 50's it was completely outdated. This is why when Oldsmobile decided to run the more-powerful (and wider) V-8 the braces had to go so they used a"C" channel style frame with an "X" member.

21. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Yeah, I don't care for the factory frame. Can't afford an Art Morrison though. So I did my best to build a heavy duty crossmember in the center of the frame to stiffen it and the body up.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

not really up on them, but the first v-8 oldses were the same bodies as the chevvies. don't think they came with the firewall stiffeners.

23. junkman8888

junkman8888

dan c is correct, I have a '50 Olds carcass, it does not have any bracing from the firewall to the frame, just the body mounts below the door posts.

24. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Slowly getting everything mocked up. Really happy with the amount of room I have behind the engine.
    Just wish these engines were not so damn ugly!

25. High5

High5

My '54 Chevy has not had ribs or front body mounts since the 60's and never lost a windshield or anything else for that matter.
    Firewall.jpg

26. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Holy moly!
    Now that is one seriously recessed engine!
    Would love to see some more pics of your car.

27. dan31

dan31

^^^ High5 do you have to sit in the back seat to time it?. Mine is gone with a 383 and no problems at all.

28. High5

High5

The engine is set back 20%. There's still room to drive normally. The pedals are moved to the left to accommodate the dog house. The car was first modified with a Pontiac 389 and 4 speed. It now has a 350 Chevy and turbo transmission. You can see photos of it in Traditional Rod and Kulture magazine from a couple issues back and also Hot Rod Deluxe in this latest issue (under the Scrapbook section). The car was dubbed "Highway Child". I also added photos to the thread on this forum titled "Show off your gasser!" Thanks for asking about it.

Capt Chap likes this.
  29. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this is the firewall in our 51 Fleetline. We set the engine back 10 inches and took 9 inches out of the firewall. The recess is made from a Polaris Gas tank that was widened about 6 inches. We used the wrong tail lights so it is not HAMB friendly

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and Capt Chap like this.
  30. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

That is a clean looking firewall. Good job and great looking project!
    My engine isn't H.A.M.B. Friendly either. But overall, it will look like a 50's custom. So hope they will be kind enough to overlook the untraditional parts of what will appear to be a traditional build.