Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How does this come apart ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Mar 25, 2016.

1. slack

slack

If it has a side bar, it won't mark.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If the car is still around that the dash came from pull the pass door panel
    the lock cylinder will have the key code.

3. I used to have a set of GM keys cut on special blanks that had all GM cuts . I can't tell you how many locks they opened in my shop. Inquire at an OLD lock shop. Also Google clearstar it's a private site for locksmiths only. There is an area you can leave a question maybe a locksmith in your area will answer you.

4. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While fooling with stuff like this, I usually end up dropping it on the floor. It shows you how it comes apart!!

czuch and 54fierro like this.
  5. 54fierro

54fierro
    from san diego

Look at the replacement part. If it has a side bar like was mentioned before just drill it out enough for the guts holding the bar up to let it come down so you can turn it.
    The side bar is visible on the top side.
    [​IMG]
    These are the little widgets that hold up the bar. Drill accordingly. Good luck
    [​IMG]

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. After trying two different family owned locksmiths and finding each to be out of business I threw in the towel and just ordered a new painless switch. I needed a dimmer switch and a headlight switch anyway so I spent a couple hrs looking at all the offerings. I found out that there's not a lot of info listed other than amps and how many positions a switch is. I ended up reading reviews and choosing what best fit my harness to decide on my pieces.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Sorry to hear that....locks are fun.

ClayMart likes this.
  9. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Send it to the dude that wants it.
    I had a 63 Creenbriar van.
    Almost any Chevy key would start it. Even an old Briggs and Stratton key I found in a J/Y did the trick.

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'd heard that years ago car manufacturers only had a dozen or so key cuts that they used. Can anybody confirm this?

11. rfraze

rfraze

These may be called "Try Keys". A local thief had stolen a set from a lock shop and we got a look at them during the sting.

12. squirrel

squirrel

GM had a whole bunch more than that! There were 6 pages like this, for the 1935-65 cars/trucks

[​IMG]

13. slack

slack

I would do it for you for nothin (and make a new key) but the ride both ways would probably cost more than what it would cost to take it to a locksmith. You mean to tell me there ain't a locksmith in NY that can do old locks? I thought yankees knew everything. :confused:

14. Seems like the ones near me got out of the business and let the local chain hardware stores take over. I need to move ahead on my project and fiddling with this to just get the ignition switch that may or may not work is holding me up. I ordered the stuff yesterday from Summit and it was at my door before 11 a.m. this morning, moving along now...lol

15. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

ah fooie ... we wanted you to go all marine on this... aka (Improvise, Adapt and Overcome )
    made me go look for my old GM lock pick set, couldnt find the blank KEY that has a slot
    milled down the ENTIRE (left) side so that the picks could fit in the tumbler at the same time.
    Found the picks IF and when i ever find that blank key I'LL post pictures.

:cool:

we all lov ya Phil, you keep us young at heart...;)

i.rant likes this.
  16. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Good to hear you got it figured out. Looks like any GM switch from that era. If you ended up breaking it I don't think it would be too hard to get a replacement. Looks exactly like the one that was in my '66 C-10.

17. If you want the dash just cover the shipping costs and it's yours, send me a p.m.