Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Seeing as there have been some vices shown.
    Her is one I built some 25 years ago, only because one of my work mates who was a welder said I could not build one (I am an electrician) It has served me well I recommend brass soft jaws. Even though I can now afford a store bought version I see no need to replace it. And it has been abused no end.
    Brendan
    IMG_3839.JPG IMG_3840.JPG

BradinNC, rumblegutz, Ulu and 9 others like this.
  2. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Isn't it amazing the thing we can do when someone says "you can't"??
    good job
    Bobby

loudbang likes this.
  3. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

I recall the hardest part was cutting the square (acme?) threads.

4. cretin

cretin

Nothing earth shattering here, but made this cam bearing tool for the flathead I'm working on.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458633434.276905.jpg

5. gatz

gatz

Very good work there, Brendan.

How did you cut the acme threads?
    And, the nut ?

whtbaron likes this.
  6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:DHi Gat.Ahhhhhhhhhh.Very carefully?:rolleyes::p
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

7. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

LOL... not the answer we were looking for. I know you can buy the ACME threaded rod, but I also would like to hear how he threaded the nut.

8. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

You can also buy the nuts, weld a tab on and WALLA! Gary

9. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

wow! I'm super impressed now. You cut your own acme threads? THATS dedication.
    Good job

10. When a friend of mine was taking machinist classes at the local vo-tech in the mid 70's, he showed me one of
    his projects: an Acme threaded rod and nut, that when you set it upright the nut spun down the threads by gravity.
    I was impressed, wouldn't have believed it was possible. Said he threaded the rod on a lathe and made the nut on a mill and lathe.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

How did you cut the acme threads?
    And, the nut ?[/QUOTE]

Well as I said it was a while ago, however as an apprentice electrician I worked for an Australian car parts manufacturer REPCO in the maintenance team. They were keen on training so they had 2 apprentice training schools to train fitters and turners, this was in addition to the apprenticeship commission one day a week at trade school, I recall about 120 apprentices each year. Each fitting apprentice spent the first 12 month in full time training at one of the centres, and just so we were multi skilled, electrical apprentices got the first 6 months training as fitters.
    One of the projects we had to make was a bottle Jack, it had inside and outside, left hand and right hand, multi start square threads, I remembered just enough to make one for my vice. Its a shame no one does this level of training now .
    I still have the jack somewhere.

Brendan

charleyw, Speedys Garage and loudbang like this.
  12. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

When I went to trade school, one of our projects was a step shaft with, I think, five different diameters. Each diameter had to be single point threaded with a different type of thread, acme, buttress, left hand and I don't recall what else. When I was ready to turn mine in, the instructor told me he wanted knurled nuts for each, too. I still have it somewhere. I can't imagine doing one that long and have it come out good, though.

Gary

loudbang likes this.
  13. Brendan1959

Brendan1959

Well as I said it was a while ago, however as an apprentice electrician I worked for an Australian car parts manufacturer REPCO in the maintenance team. They were keen on training so they had 2 apprentice training schools to train fitters and turners, this was in addition to the apprenticeship commission one day a week at trade school, I recall about 120 apprentices each year. Each fitting apprentice spent the first 12 month in full time training at one of the centres, and just so we were multi skilled, electrical apprentices got the first 6 months training as fitters.
    One of the projects we had to make was a bottle Jack, it had inside and outside, left hand and right hand, multi start square threads, I remembered just enough to make one for my vice. Its a shame no one does this level of training now .
    I still have the jack somewhere.

Brendan[/QUOTE]
    Found it
    IMG_3845.JPG IMG_3843.JPG

tb33anda3rd, RICH B and loudbang like this.
  14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Found it
    View attachment 3170883 View attachment 3170884 [/QUOTE]

That's a nice looking unit. It deserves to be cleaned up and put on display.

loudbang likes this.
  15. gatz

gatz

Cutting ACME threads is not the easiest thing to do on a lathe. You can buy threading inserts for chasing the threads, but if you have to make your own threading tool, it's a bit of a challenge.

As re the internal threads of a nut, that's even trickier to make the threading tool.
    However, there are taps for most common sizes of ACME internal threads....read $$

A friend of mine got very good at threading L & R ACME screws on the same piece of Stress-Proof and the corresponding nuts out of Ampco 18. IIRC Ø5/8 to Ø1".....Not for the faint of heart.

loudbang likes this.
  16. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

As a machinist I made many Acme threaded shafts and nuts. No big deal when you have the equipment. Even fab'd triple start shafts and nuts.

H380 likes this.
  17. archauto

archauto
    from Co

Brendan, Nice 46 Ford!

18. hotrod428

hotrod428

McMaster-Carr sells the acme rod and the nuts, Fastenal might also.

19. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Brendan[/QUOTE]
    Found it
    ][/QUOTE]

Brendan,
    Thanks for the info and for finding the jack. Not too many in-house training programs like that anymore.
    Bobby

loudbang likes this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

Jeeze and I thought we were doing good having to make a simple H puller out of bar stock at our school. :rolleyes:

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  21. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was shown this valve spring compressor today. made from a junk rocker arm
    valve spring tool.jpg

22. Sporty45

Sporty45

Love it! The simpler the tool, the better. Especially when giving new life to junk parts. :cool:

23. We had to make nice little (but useless) hammers for half the period and then spend the rest watching '50s driving safety films, you know, the kind with bloody, burnt, decapitated, etc bodies. I took the class so I could learn something; but found that in reality the powers that be "sentenced" the hoodlums (they got to make knives, brass knuckles, and other stuff like that) to Metal Shop and there were more of them than there was room for, thus the split period. But; I did learn how to kinda operate a lathe, shaper, mill, harden metals, etc.

24. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Working as a machinist in a research laboratory, Every thing was different almost every day. You had to use your head to machine the parts. Acme threads was one of the simple projects.

25. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

==========

I wonder if that was multi start thread.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AnwEQPl8NKg/VBeoCFZIG3I/AAAAAAAAA1E/2EJwr3EHSiY/s1600/multiStart.gif

26. JC Sparks

JC Sparks
    from Ohio

Over the years I have cut a number of acme threads ID and OD. Cut a few with double and triple leads. It's all in the setup. JC

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My first machinist job out of school, the leadman gives me a print to machine some shafts with acme threads.
    I told him that I had never made acme threads before. He said "after today you won't be able to say that".

saltflats, JOYFLEA and 6inarow like this.
  28. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

The guy that gave me the big vise got a hold of this cast iron Baldor bandsaw and a 1960s Craftsman drill press, all of which we are in the process of restoring with my homemade, lo-cost, junkyard de-rusting equipement: an old orange juice drum and some old copper tubing and bits of galvanized tin and bailing wire, plus my ancient battery charger.
    20160328_081445.jpg

This is after a dip + the Jasco acid wash, scrubbed with a stainless steel brush. The base was a rusty mess but it still had a nice paint on the bottom once that dirt and rust was removed in my tank. If you like machinery, you just gotta love real old-fashioned cast-iron . . .
    20160326_084015.jpg

The platten was as rusty as the other parts you see.
    20160324_075311.jpg

Dipping the pole, or should I say, "the gratuitous pole dipping shot."
    20160328_084919.jpg

Freshly greased, in plastic wrap. The arm and gearbox for the platten, plus fence and small bolts.
    20160327_160905.jpg

Final burnishing on the Mighty Baldor.
    20160331_080743.jpg
    2016-03-31 08.50.43.jpg

The head unit is next and then we start painting.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    loudbang and JOYFLEA like this.
  29. atch

atch

Tool to install grease seal; 8" ford axle:

I don't have any way to take and upload pix, but here's what I did. I don't have any fancy installation tool and don't have a lathe to make one. I took a long (8" - 10") 3/8" grade 5 bolt, two nuts, and a stack of fender washers about an inch high. I put the washers between the two nuts at the end of the bolt. This gave me a tool with a long enough shaft to see that I had it aligned with the centerline of the axle housing. I just smacked it a few times with a ball peen hammer and the seal seated right in. Simple. Cheap (free; the parts went back into the fastener bins when done). Effective. And quick.

loudbang and saltflats like this.
  30. bigheadbaxter

bigheadbaxter

I'm sure this has been done before. Works well for cutting bolts to length on my band saw ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460149751.779733.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460149762.862808.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460149772.378731.jpg