Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Spurgin/Giovanine inspired 1925 Chev roadster build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jimmy B, May 2, 2010.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I like that wheel but it's on the wrong side. If I had one that nice I'd use it. I have a nice 50s Buick but I need to find a shaft to et the spline from to use it.

2. No, its on the Right side ;). If there is a way to adapt a column lock I may use it. I do need to coat the steering wheel as it is sun bleached & when you touch the surface it leaves residue on the hand. I am seriously itching to get working on the second roadster, that will be LHD.

volvobrynk likes this.
  3. Last update was almost 2 moths ago, progress is being made I have been ordering parts and making the floors, another firewall as I dropped the peddle box down due to clearance issues. The old firewall will be cut down and used as the interior firewall to cover the RHS firewall frame. I made a metal folder out of scrap laying around, it has made work much easier.
    SANY5510.JPG SANY5563.JPG SANY5564.JPG SANY5568.JPG SANY5572.JPG SANY5573.JPG SANY5574.JPG SANY5575.JPG

I made the tops of the interior yesterday
    SANY5581.JPG SANY5583.JPG

T-roaster, Pat, Jet96 and 6 others like this.
  4. Welcome to the " Jimmy B Speed Shop" .....Great project and thanks for sharing !

Jimmy B and volvobrynk like this.
  5. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

It's a pleasure to see progress, especially when mine is lacking.

Good work.

Jimmy B likes this.
  6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a radiator shop right by the Northgate train station there in Briz that I stopped in to see. Can't recall the guy's name but he was all about making original style radiators for pre-40's cars. You may want to look him up, hell, you may even already know what I'm talking about.

Jimmy B likes this.
  7. I did some work on the doors today, they still need some tweaking but open and close good. I snapped a few pics with the doors on.

SANY5584.JPG SANY5586.JPG SANY5588.JPG SANY5591.jpg SANY5593.JPG SANY5594.JPG SANY5595.jpg SANY5596.jpg SANY5598.JPG SANY5599.JPG

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    T-roaster, ebtm3, Outback and 9 others like this.
  8. Thank you for the tip, I will have to look him up to do a cut down Whippet radiator, do you remember the street name? Business name?

9. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is at 10 Holland St. there, I'm sure some of the Brizvegas guys know the spot, but there is no name on the building.
    There is a motorsport outfit close by at 197 Toombul Rd called Motorsport Accessories, and unless they are complete wedges, I reckon they will help you with a name.
    mailto:[email protected]

Publication1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    Jimmy B likes this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Nice progress Jimmy. Little on mine but some.

Jimmy B and volvobrynk like this.
  11. That is great thank you for the info.

12. 296ardun

296ardun

What I really like about this project is that it appears to be built in the era you are recreating....no fancy robo-machinery but just old fashioned garage building....thanks for the updates, your workmanship is outstanding...

Jimmy B likes this.
  13. I made gutters for the boot (trunk) last night, I will weld them together tonight and start the boot lid inner frame.

SANY5602.JPG SANY5603.JPG

KKrod and volvobrynk like this.
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Jimmy. All of the '25- '26 roadsters I have seen have the short deck lid like what you are building. My '26 has a much larger lid. It is one piece from about 4" pas the passenger compartment to about 6" above the end of the body. Is that the difference in rumble seat models and something else? The car was built in Oakland, California.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. @Six Ball What you have is one year only 1926. Back in 2006-07 I purchased on ebay the tulip panel (above decklid) and beaver panel (below decklid) I missed out on the 1/4s (pics attached) that roadster was from New York and is the same as yours. All roadsters '23-'25 essentially the same except some minor changes along the bottom. '26 had major changes to the trunk lid area.

Some images of '26 roadsters. the pics of the individual 1/4 panels are from the dilapidated roadster at bottom.
    05_1.JPG 7f_1.JPG 8d_1.JPG 8e_1.JPG ff_1_b.JPG 21_3.jpg 77_3.jpg b1_3.jpg b6_3.jpg 2792610800090944223tBeXjR_fs.jpg 2891291060090944223FycQxm_fs.jpg

catdad49, T-roaster, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Jimmy B and Bigcheese327 like this.
  17. @Six Ball I hope you don't mind I saved your pics as they are good reference. Your roadster is one of the most complete I have seen.

Not much to update just doing small bits and pieces.
    messed around the other day with taillight and number plate placement.
    SANY5614.jpg SANY5615.jpg SANY5616.jpg SANY5619.jpg

T-roaster, Jet96, Drewfus and 3 others like this.
  18. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The roll pan really finishes the rear of that car, good job.

Jimmy B, Tim_with_a_T and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Jimmy B you are welcome to the pictures. If it helps you that is good I don;t seem to be helping myself much. I like your tail lights. Those are what I'm going to use. Mine have blue dots but I like the plane ones better. I know I have some here somewhere. If you need some more pictures of something let me know.

Jimmy B likes this.
  20. G'day Jimmy,

Just out of curiosity, were you going to run the exhaust out through the back in a similar vain as the Spurgin-Giovanine car?
    Great to see the progress, keep at it and you'll be cutting laps in no time.

Cheers,
    Drewfus

Jimmy B likes this.
  21. G'day @Drewfus, I am going to run the exhaust out of the centre of the bellypan. I had thought about running it in the same location as the original but for a road car it seems like the better option running it through the bellypan.
    Cheers
    Jimmy

volvobrynk, Stovebolt and Drewfus like this.
  22. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Love your work Jimmy! Great to see progress!

Jimmy B likes this.
  23. Cheers Glenn! I appreciate it.

Outback likes this.
  24. sololobo

sololobo

fan-f'n-tastic, great rod, great dog, great nephew

Jimmy B likes this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Hey Jimmy

I still love your build!

Is the any chance you can snap me the measurements of the top edge of rear 1/4 length? From bottom of the beaver panel, to the top of the tulip panel. Along the flange edge.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Jimmy B likes this.
  26. @volvobrynk the measurement is 1225mm or around 48-1/4".

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Jimmy if you ever make it down this way, feel free to check in with us, always welcome.

28. Thanks Glenn, I will definitely drop in when I get down your way.

Outback likes this.
  29. Progress is slow, getting cold up here, but have the exhaust done, taillights mounted and front bellypan mounted. Also folded some new sills that fit the body better. Currently I am working on the side bellypan trying to work out how to best mount it.

SANY5654.JPG

SANY5655.JPG

T-roaster, Outback, Drewfus and 10 others like this.