Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1956 Nomad dream build come true

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Lucky dog ya are....great score

2. 56madmook

56madmook
    from long beach

Looking good !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

FullSizeRenderMA31969769-0003.jpg FullSizeRenderMA31970827-0001.jpg FullSizeRenderMA31972670-0001.jpg Been awhile since I posted about the Nomad.I finished all the mechanicals Disc brakes, power steering. brake lines etc....... Pulled the motor and trans New Years Eve weekend . Only needed some gaskets and cosmetics. Here are a few pics. What was going to be a drive it as is . Is going to be a frame off. Should be off to my body guy in a couple of weeks if all goes well.

Pic of motor before and after. Have to change color of inner parts of valve cover still. And a bit more detailing.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  4. Going full tilt on it, kinda hard not to slide down that slope. Glad to see someone making winter progress!

5. zjerry

zjerry

Looks Nice..

6. Humpty Bumpty for some updates, please...

7. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Thanks for asking.........What was going to be a frame on resto is ending up to be a rotisserie resto. Can't do a dream car half ass. I have just this week finished gutting the car to the shell. Mechanicals are done.Hoping it to go to my body guy in a week or so. Here's a couple of pics

Attached Files:

gotta56forme and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Have all my take offs up for sale. Anybody need parts.

9. Can't understand the you would sell all of these take off parts, do you have that much money that you can buy new reproduction parts. I would be so happy to have a complete 56 Nomad that I would just rework the original parts and put the car back together with the original stuff. Sometime I really wonder what is wrong with the world we live in. Yesterday I rebuilt the front horns on my Willys frame and was so happy. Now I am ready to start replacing the rusty floors with another floor I took out of another Willys because they are in better shape.Where do you people come up with the money that you spend on some of these build ???

10. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Well all I can say 38 Sedan is some of us this is our passion in life. We work when we can retire to continue doing what we love. At least speaking for myself. I love the build and have done a few. This nomad I wanted for almost 50 yrs and I have to do to what I have to do make my dream come true. The build and the people we meet in this hobby is irreplacable. But I I respect your opinion.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  11. Yes I am right there behind you with all that you said, it's has be my dream to have a 56 Nomad also just never could find one to by. When I was in high school I found one, it would have been my first car but my folks wouldn't help me by it and before I earned enough money to by it, it was gone. I did find out where it went it is in a museum
    just as it was when I was trying to by it same color and interior, Black with White tuck and roll chrome wheels 265 3 speed on the floor, Man I loved that car. I have been building hot rods and street car ever since then. So I am the same as you, just always have a hell of a time coming up with the money and now a days it even harder.

12. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Sounds like the first time I saw one and fell in love. Black w/ black tuck and roll chrome reverse. I remember it like it was yesterday and that was 1966 0r 67

13. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Need some ideas ? LOL \'56 nomad.jpg

14. Well I will be watching your build, when I found the Willys I figured I better buy it because I would never find another. I have owned it since the late 80's and started working it over with in the last year and a half. When it is done and I sell it, if I do, maybe I can just buy that 56 Nomad, but I want one like they were back in the early day there are so many that have been change to the new times and I just don't care for the the new builds. Well I'm glad you found your's and hope you enjoy it.

15. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

16. Love that one too, don't know if I could go that far to one, but if it was already that way, I would leave it that way.

17. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's an old pic, I got over the Gasser thing, now I want a cruiser. This is how it looks now, back on a standard frame. 099.JPG

gotta56forme and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

nice glad to see you post the pic s its a keeper !!!!!!!!!

19. Not to hi-jack the OP's thread... Dago what can you tell us about how/when that Nomad was changed over to RH steering? Did it arrive down under years ago already done, or changed over in the not so distant past? I'll happily take a thread link if this has been covered elsewhere, before...

20. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This Nomad was privately imported to Australia in 1980. I purchased it as a project in 1985 & converted it myself using a locally produced RHD chassis. I don't think GM produced any RHD Nomads, someone on the HAMB might know for sure. Cheers.

gotta56forme likes this.