Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Not off topic! A better looking residual pressure valve.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Mar 25, 2016.

1. My last attemp at this was apparently deleted.
    Most likely be cause of the mention of the source for this part.
    You see it's about the part, where it goes, and how it looks - not where it comes from.
    If it gets deleted again, well I'll just keep it all for myself.

So in order to know what it's, how it works, and it's designed parameters one might need to know what it's original application might be, right? That's the only way I know to know if might it work in its new on topic intended application A thread about mustang master cylinders is about masters not mustangs. Much the same. This is about a RPV not the off topic source.

This thing is on a 79 Plymouth arrow, (Mitsubishi lancer)
    It's a in line residual pressure valve.
    However I don't know it's parameters, and that is why I posted it- for some help.

This might be better than a pick my color opinion thread

image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Are there people really looking for better looking residual valves?

swade41 likes this.
  3. town sedan

town sedan

The OP is..., Hope this lives to get a answer
    -Dave

4. scotts52

scotts52

Thanks for sharing

5. For what it's worth the Plymouth Arrow was Not a Lancer (which was a sedan) but rather a Celeste - might help with you search. I used to rally one ;) And I seem to remember that this was a Hold Off valve, but then again that was 30 years ago
    Arrow.jpg

6. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Is the valve in the line to the rear brakes? It could well be a 'proportioning valve" to prevent rear wheel lock-up.

7. I think this ,,,
    image.jpg
    ,,, Looks very out of place on a traditional chassis, But that's me.
    Won't be the first time I've been accused of being a picky asshole either, I don't care.
    The valves have become acceptable because it's a necessity and that is what's available.

Me too:)

Yes it's inline to rear brakes.
    There's a combo valve just to the right and this is after the combo valve.

Thanks for the info,
    That pic is bound to wad up some panties

hotroddon likes this.
  8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

"Looks very out of place on a traditional chassis, But that's me.
    Won't be the first time I've been accused of being a picky asshole either, I don't care.
    The valves have become acceptable because it's a necessity and that is what's available."

Out of sight = out of mind.

9. squirrel

squirrel

take it apart and see if you can figure out what it does....

10. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

For some reason American master cylinders dont have residual pressure valves installed. if you look in the outlets of a typical GM master cylinder you see a brass cone. That can be removed, and behind it is a space designed to accept a tiny spring and ruber valve. Australian GM cars (holdens) have these in place, you just ask for a master with drum/drum (pre 66) or disc/drum (66 to 80 or so) or disc/disc (80 something on) to suit the system you are building, and the correct valves are built in! they are a compact aluminium master, and when i built cars in Australia i swore by them. Now that Im in texas all the cars i currently work on (older classics, GM and Ford) all seem to have those red and blue residual valves plumbed in. seems stupid to me.. The next hotrod i build I'll be ringing my old supplier in Australia and getting a few masters shipped out!!

11. squirrel

squirrel

There are plenty of American master cylinders with built in residual pressure valves....you just need to specify the correct one. For example, all the old single pot Delco cylinders from the mid 60s and older have one built in, it's inside the bore.

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

The c10 dual bore also at bottom of brake bore..

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

You know the anodizing comes right off with a wire wheel? I've disguised a few ugly ass things before that way.

14. Yep the anodizing color goes away easy.

But Do the 2 extra fittings disappear ?
    and a mounting tab materialize from the wire wheel for you?
    How about that special look that old parts have, does it show up too?

I get it, I really do get it that most could not care less.
    That's why they sell a bunch of them ugly things and their house is bigger than mine.
    So what? I'm really striving for nothing before 1962, at least looks like it's from 62 or prior, or I made it myself with 1962 in mind. You know, a period correct traditional build like you'd find on the hamb. That's not a 1800hottrod catalogue adventure.

sjm1340 likes this.