Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects One Mann, Three Springs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skatermann, Mar 15, 2016.

1. In January this year I took a huge leap of faith. I left the shop I was working at to start my own thing, Mann Automotive. It has been a dream of mine that I didn't think would happen until somewhere around my the middle of my life(I just turned 20), and while my feet still haven't hit solid ground, I couldn't be happier.

While waiting for steady paying work, I decided to put my hands and head to work. I have been wanting to build a modified for a really long time, and had amassed just enough parts to figure out that I really needed more parts....

My main inspiration is hands down the Atlas Chrome Special. This will be built out of mostly free, traded, or very inexpensive parts. The front axle is an early mopar, rear is early '32, and a cut up A frame. I'll be using an A engine and trans I already have unless something better pops up. This will be more of a photo journal than build thread, and who knows where it'll all go!
    Thanks for following along!

Joe Mann

Heres a pic of the Atlas Chrome special. I think it crashed and was rebuilt, and I can't remember if this is the first or second version.

serveimage-8.jpg

(These start about two weeks back)
    IMG_6055.jpg IMG_6073.jpg IMG_6084.jpg IMG_6085.jpg IMG_6090.jpg IMG_6093.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    AHotRod and volvobrynk like this.
  2. And here is what happened today.

IMG_6199.jpg IMG_6208.jpg IMG_6209.jpg IMG_6211.jpg IMG_6212.jpg IMG_6216.jpg IMG_6228.jpg IMG_6229.jpg

KKrod, 35cab, Lil'Alb and 7 others like this.
  3. Legendlives

Legendlives

Nice work. Keep at it.
    I know from experience how stressful opening your own shop is, but the highs will outweigh the lows.
    Good luck!

skatermann likes this.
  4. Good luck on your Quest.Be careful using that drum puller and good looking start.

5. I'm in! Love the Atlas Chrome Special!

skatermann likes this.
  6. williebill

williebill

Good luck, young man. Helluva start.

skatermann likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - guess you know plenty of the many car guys in your area, including the Bonneville "Buzzards"

8. Thanks for the good words and encouragement!

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

did a online search for your Grass Valley business - did not find anything

10. Mann
    This is going to be good. I've always wanted to build a single seat 3 springer.

11. good luck with the shop and the build. I have a brother in Rough & Ready, near you? Tim (He's an Alfa guy and has a firetruck).

12. For the moment it's grass roots, and not listed anywhere as a business. I will get there, need to produce some revenue first..
    Not enough of them around if you ask me! Build one!
    Thank you! Yes thats about 35+ minutes away. I'm up Hwy 49 past the Yuba river, about 25 minutes out of Nevada City.

13. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Set up a website first. Do it cheap - not much more info than a business card to start. Put phone # and link to email (use gmail for spam protection). Done (for now) and about $20-40 total.

14. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I just checked - mannautomotive.com is taken but jmannautomotive.com and mann-automotive.com (with hyphen) are available. Grab one now.

Edit: jmanautomotive is also available. If you get jmannautomotive get jmanautomotive too so you don't have to spell it each time. Redirect it to the same website.

15. Probably a good idea, I am not as tech savvy as most people my age.. But I'll get on that.

Bad Henry likes this.
  16. And I got a little more done on the nose buck today, starting to look like something!

image.jpg image.jpg

KKrod, Lil'Alb, y'sguy and 4 others like this.
  17. Just about done with the nose buck, hoping to bend some metal after dinner!

IMG_6272.jpg IMG_6274.jpg IMG_6277.jpg IMG_6278.jpg

Stogy, cactus1 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. Man life is crazy sometimes, gotta laugh it off though! I spent the whole morning on the phone and online, ordering a bunch of tools from @BAILEIGH INC.... Super excited about that! As my own boss I've been learning how much work is really behind every hour of paying work.. Its all just part of the process.

blackout78666 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

That modified if going to be killer. Frame turned out nice. Are going to use the '23 (?) T cowl up on on your wall? Great shop space. Geev 'em!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  20. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Just looked up the "Atals Chrome Special". Good inspiration. The cowl on that thing looks reeeeally tricky.

21. Yeah the whole body will be a challenge, still have a lotta work on the body buck.
    A friend's coming over to check out the shop today, might end up doing some work on a deuce tudor he has, wants to get the metalwork done then maybe get it driving!

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I'm in on this one just to see where it goes and what you end up with. And maybe to borrow an idea or two along the

23. The Atlas Chrome Special has to be one of the most beautiful....
    I think it's mostly in that special grill shell. Fascinating how your'e shaping it up. Keep posting those pics! And mostly from cast off, on hand parts...
    I'm following you on this one......................

Jungle Jalopy likes this.
  24. pumpman

pumpman

Good luck on your business venture. And as said please post pics on the metal progress. That nose will be challenging to say the least.

25. Great project. Atlas chrome special is my favorite also...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Good luck with the business venture Skater, will be watching this one for sure.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good luck with the new business. What a great car to pick as an inspiration for a three springer. Sad the original grille was lost in a wreck. Bob DSCF1656.JPG

Stogy, skatermann and kidcampbell71 like this.
  28. hasty

hasty

Good luck with the car and the shop - will be watching

29. So I decided to start tackling the front axle and suspension.. Here are some photos!

Joe

IMG_6430.jpg IMG_6434.jpg IMG_6453.jpg IMG_6458.jpg IMG_6486.jpg IMG_6487.jpg IMG_6488.jpg
    ...U-bolts will be recessed into the axle to make the tops flush.

35cab and kidcampbell71 like this.