Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing Pains

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 23, 2016.

1. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Thank you Ryan for keeping the focus. Letting the forum go in whatever direction the new members chose to take it will make this site generic like the rest of the car forums. Nothing wrong with the HAMB of old. Thanks again.

Neal

2. flamingokid

flamingokid

Some people get offended at anything.That being said,it's your baby and that's the way it goes.And to the folks that want to try and change a great thing ,start your own website. :)

5window, timwhit and traffic61 like this.
  3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Haven't been on HAMB that long, but didn't have a problem with the "rules". That's why I'm on the site. I have tremendous respect for the incredible talent on this site and although I may be building my A coupe the way I want to and may not be completely "traditional", I have learned so much just watching other builds. Many people who find a link from google as someone has said, but is OT, someone usually tells them in a nice way they won't get any responses. I think you're doing of great job of sorting it out, Ryan, and make a super dash plaque, love mine.!

traffic61 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I feel ashamed as I only get to read about %10 of the threads. I don't have the time to look at them all. Maybe when I get old there will be time. I hope your still here then Ryan, and traditional is still the word.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm real happy with the HAMB year cutoff, and the cars that are built to fit into that era. You can enjoy cars from later years, or stone stock, and every now and then an owner of one of those cars may have something you find of interest. I still have the boxes of pre WWII Throttle and pre 1954 Hot Rod magazines a 1926 Rolls-Royce owner dropped of at the shop one day. I never would have guesses he had subscribed to them as a kid. Bob

6. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Ryan, I appreciate what you do on here and even though I do not know what all goes into your maintaining this sight, I believe it has to be a lot of work. I can appreciate the traditional perspective and if people don't accept the sight's guidelines I assume there are other forums out there where they will fit in. Again, I do not how much negative feedback you get but I am thinking it's probably a small percentage of the overall participation on this sight. While the squeaky wheel usually gets the grease (attention), there are times to focus on the wheels that are greased just fine - is the glass half empty or half full? From what I see there are a lot of people who appreciate your effort and efforts of participants. You can't please everyone and usually the ones that can't be are the ones who squeak the most. My '57 Chevy truck is a long way from being done and the goal is an old school hot rod look / theme. The look is the goal but it may wind up with some modernization too, i.e. disc brakes, just because I feel it would be safer. Will it truly fit here - maybe or maybe not depending on who's making the call. I may never be able to afford my dream car of a '32 Ford 5 window or have a truly traditional / period perfect car but it's neat to have access to a sight where people who can will share their experience and talent with those of us who are interested in that type of vehicle. Thanks for your efforts.

7. I think some people see traditional as a restriction, like (heres how you have to do it if you wanna be in our club) and it turns into a (me too!) situation... I see it as a perspective, so if you see it from the same perspective as me you there isn't any club to join... We're already standing right next to one and other. If you're with us, nobody needs to tell you. And if not, you're just standing in a different spot.. It's nothing personal but personal preference! :)

8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Ryan.Thanks for a great post concerning our"Home away from home".
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

As you said yourself Ryan, a lot of us have other interests car wise, besides traditional rods. This place ain't about the other stuff.
    Don't loose no sleep over it man.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's good that you have to do reminders. And I really like the exclusive connotation it takes because this stuff shouldn't be mainstream. With or without TJJ/HAMB, I guess dependent upon your perspective, there's a major change in the whole "hot rod" paradigm from coast to coast. Look at this year's AMBR. Look at the "picks" in (dare I say it) Street Rodder magazine. More and more early influence and less billet high tech themes. I'd hate to see this forum awash with LS whatever engines and IFS/IRS suspensions. Plenty of places for that. And you mentioned restoration, and it's true. "We" just choose to restore our stuff to the beat of a drum that never stopped for a lot of people. I find it more frustrating when some have to cling to a specific year and start getting all butt hurt because a car may have happened later. Does this car fit?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And in action:
    [​IMG]

I think it fits all day long, forever. Some things remained constant well past an arbitrary "cutoff", and this is classic "...know it when you see it..." fare. The HAMB is as easy as anyone could want it to be, and sometimes as hard for a few. Don't take it or yourselves too serious and there's a lot to love about it. Can't get this content anywhere else that I've seen. Keep it up bruz, you're doing all of the membership an awesome service.

By the way, I'm not gonna rat myself out on the year of this awesome dragster, and frankly I don't think it matters.

traffic61 likes this.
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

one thing about making something exclusive is that it makes everyone want to join up, Most people have different ideas of what traditional is. Hell if it were up to me I would delete everything with radial tires and electronic ignition... Lol . Ryan you are doing a great job period

12. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I've been here for 7 years, off and on. I don't own a traditional hot rod or custom, but I do own a 60s OT car. I know the posting rules and respect them. I do throw in my 2 cents at the appropriate time. I also know when I shouldn't post. I come here for the wealth of knowledge that can be applied to old car hobby.

13. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

QUOTE="Moriarity, post: 11446323, member: 218"]one thing about making something exclusive is that it makes everyone want to join up, Most people have different ideas of what traditional is. Hell if it were up to me I would delete everything with radial tires and electronic ignition... Lol . Ryan you are doing a great job period[/QUOTE]

How about coil packs LMAO;)

14. Ryan,you make it too easy for a newby to join..The rules of the HAMB you have posted at the top of the Introduction forum page,should be made mandatory reading before you are made a member..as also should the newbys city and state,,you can do it if you choose to...

15. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Been around since 2002, had a few posts deleted, never took it personaly. All in all I am amazed by the consistancy you (and the mods) have been able to maintain and that, for the most part, has been what's kept me here.
    Add to the fact I have met litteraly hundreds of like minded people over the years, first on line and a whole lot of them in person at various events. Some I consider close friends now.
    Like you, Ryan, I am a car guy, if it's nicely done and different I will stop and look at it.
    But being old enough (67) to have seen a lot of what is discussed here, when I need a good down to earth rod and custom fix I end up here.
    Thanks.
    GV

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Very well said Ryan and I totally agree with your view.
    There is change everywhere in the world all the time and some guys are enjoying consistency at least for their hobby. That's why I like the Jalopy Journal and the HAMB so much.
    The first thing I learned when I started tinkering around with old cars and bikes was: Always use the right tool for the job. There is no one tool (forum) can be used for all purposes.
    Thanks for your dedication and endless hard work.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Dig the HAMB just the way it is. There is an ass for every seat. The HAMB seat only accommodates a specific type of ass. The other asses have to sit somewhere else. No...wait, what? :)

18. slack

slack

Ryan, "It's your world and I'm just a squirrel (no offense squirrel) lookin for a nut..............:D"

19. metalshapes

metalshapes

I miss the days when we could tell new Users to just read and learn the place before they'd post.
    And they would( or they'd go away, which was fine too...)
    And could get by with little or no written rules.

We now seem to have a lot of arguing and nitpicking about rules the Newbies think they understand...

And I miss the flexibility we used to have to feature obscure fringe kind of stuff that did tie into Trad Hotrodding, somehow...

20. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

my take
    Ryan has all the right, and that explanation is one of the best on how you chose your content.
    Its what I call the "sheep" who ruin it for some of these pissed off guys; some of these guys pile on with their thinking that if it f doesn't fit that narrow focus of the board it must be shit. I've seen Ryan carefully explain how he deletes things for 14 years, and being here that long we all know of the different types of vehicles you dig...you just cant dig them all here...but others not so much, and it is "their" attitude that pushes peoples anger and fuels it to ultimately come back to Ryan.
    I know, a guy who only has 2000 posts over 14 years...who cares?

21. don daddyo

don daddyo

So well said and explain...that's what bring me here & stay ...hot rods and customs cars ,really are my passion, now if only I could start my unfinished projet ,I will be so grateful to myself...THK Ryan for a way to saying this so understandable

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've held back because I really didn't know exactly how to word my thoughts, until this post. Speaking for myself, I think if the guidelines had been spelled out on the registration page, I may not have commited a couple of my early "faux paux" after I joined.

Late to the Party and wbrw32 like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

...and, you used the word "miscreant" in a sentence.

Cool.

24. silverdome

silverdome

Ryan, I believe you have created a very good site here that allows people to see and learn many valuable things. I've talked to you briefly a couple of times at the H.A.M.B drags and you seem to have the same personality, in no certain order fair, friendly, laid back, willing to help, fun and firm when needed.

Sometimes people need to be reminded "Don't poke the bear or he will awaken to rip off your head and shit down your neck".

25. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I appreciate some of the exceptions that Ryan makes from time to time like pedal cars and Volksrods. It's unfortunate that somebody has to post a thread closer due to ignorance on an interesting subject. BTW, chicks with tats are not traditional!

kiwijeff and tb33anda3rd like this.
  26. Well said. I personally enjoy the purity of this site. As a builder & shop owner we work of lots of off topic old cars & pickups. I don't try to bring that onto this site simply because I know better & why try to share it with people that really don't care for that kind of stuff anyway. I like traditional, that's why I choose to partake. Those who don't should try elsewhere.

27. Thank you, Ryan.

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I didn't read all of these cuz I'm out in the shop at the moment, but thanks fellas. Even though I'm preaching to the choir here, the validation doesn't hurt my mood - that much is for certain.

You are god damned right I did... I love that word.

I feel ya on that one... BUT, with flexibility often comes too much flexibility. Meaning, one man's trash is another's treasure just like one man's treasure is another's trash. After 15 or so years, it's safe to say that you and I are on the same wave length... but many aren't... and when they get flexible it's unfair to shoot them down just cuz they think differently.

Ultimately, this place is a pretty safe haven for the traditional... and that's what it's meant to be. I'm pretty pleased with that.

There's not a whole lot of bear left in me man. I think it's been poked all out.... I've never been one to get in public arguments on the internet because I've always realized that no one really wins those... But in the past, I've certainly been prodded into private drama through convos and email. I just don't really have it in me anymore. I'd rather just hit the delete button and then drink a cheap mexican beer - much more enjoyable and just as productive.

In any case, I'm fielding a lot of credit here that I don't deserve... That's not pillow talk. Seriously. Think about it. I read and write about hot rods all day and field the occasional complaint. What the hell do I have to complain about that really matters? Nothing.

This place is so great cuz of the masses that tend to it. I'm just one of several thousands of people.

29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can say is I love this place just the way you have it! It's honestly the only reason I had the desire to start to use a computer. I too , like a lot of OT machines ; but I'm not going to post about my '73 911T,or '69 GTX , or '69 RR , or '68 Vette ....they are all birds of another feather. Just keep up the good work !