Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T coupe roofline

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by silent rick, Mar 17, 2016.

1. silent rick

silent rick

@themoose , can i get a shot of the stock T top with a boring stock T straight across chop to do a side by side comparison. seems nobody likes my idea of the 32 roof grafted to the model T. make the window opening the same for both style roofs. thanks for all the help you provided not only me but all the others you've assisted on the photoshop thread.

2. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

No need for apologies: I'm not famous, a hot rod legend or political correct.
    I appreciate your opinion, even though I don't agree. ;-)

One of the first rules of the boy scouts: we give you the tools to make up your own mind and opinion, but also appreciate others.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sorry, but you just can't get it looking any better than this
    [​IMG]

4. Something like this both.jpg

whtbaron likes this.
  5. I agree - the '33/'34 needs something leaning back (and not just a '32 grille and shell leaned back!)

Steve

6. just me, but what makes a 26 27 Kool is they look like a 26 27 T ! but that's just me. I love this little coupe!

hrm2k and AndersF like this.
  7. silent rick

silent rick

doesn't look bad that way either.

so-cal speed shop is selling steel 32 roofs on ebay so it won't take forever looking for a donor roof and you won't be destroying a perfectly good deuce to do it.

8. Not my cup of tea but the 32 roof line would look just like this...

32.jpg

silent rick, hrm2k and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. AndersF

AndersF

I think i will leave the roofline just as Henry made it.
    Just a bit lower.

10. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

This T from 1961 always interested me. Maybe add the mini visor from hrm2k's coupe. Jim32

Scan_20160322.jpg

11. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I agree with the text and I respect your work!

Would it be possible to do a slight chop on a Tall T, just to the point where it stops being a squire glass, add a 29 cowl and give it a visor something between the dry lake car I posted a an A visor?

That top is just too tall and the flat top makes it worth. But slight chop helps it to not look that odd.
    But that cowl look like a weak chin to me. And the miss machine cornea of windshield and door Windows always bugs me.

Here is some stuff for you to try out @themoose ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458666622.908067.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458666651.874917.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458666682.993295.jpg

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  12. Relevant to the actual roof line; many people end up building the top on their T's flat, when in fact there was originally a fair amount of crown both front to back and side to side. A flat roof detracts from the appearance and ends up looking almost concave. Maybe that is part of the reason people want to change the roof line.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Very good point RICH B. Original replacement wood top bows are available from places such as macsautoparts.com . jim32

14. Ok, how's this. I took a couple of inches out of the body (but not the cowl) below the belt line, to lower the windows til they're level with the bottom of the windshield. Then (obviously) chopped the top and curved the door and window tops, and added the rounded off steel (or cloth) top.
    [​IMG]

to this....
    [​IMG]

Seems like a bit of a no brainer. I'm amazed it's not been done already.

15. silent rick

silent rick

16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Although I feel less chop is the best way for a Tall T, but goddamn that is one bitching T rod!

You did SO good!

That cowl looks by no means as a weak chin anymore, and despite I dislike a engine higher then the hood line (with few exceptions) this guy did good in keeping the engine low, and you just took good-looking a nudge up!

Is that a FreeHand roof line or did you use an A roof line as a guideline?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    whtbaron and James D like this.
  17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Here is another Tall T dry lake car wit a chop
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458745214.549223.jpg

A little chop goes a long way.

18. AndersF

AndersF

Model-T:s are small without sectoning.
    But i have seen those that raised the cowl
    2 inches to adjust the height of the Windows.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. You´re probably right. Still, it´s no problem to leave the roof a bit higher at least.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. indyjps

indyjps

From the side view with this roof, the pillars look odd being vertical, need to lean the pillars if using this roof, in my opinion.

silent rick likes this.
  21. greaser_Paul27

greaser_Paul27

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. silent rick

silent rick

my thoughts also

23. I always felt that a tall T looked like a clown car. IMO, most everything looks better with a haircut. I'm likin' the original posts with a rounded lid.

24. James, that looks really good! I would trim the visor a bit and call it done.

25. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Not liking the rounded roof, looks like a Dodge. T's are cool cause they look like T's. Just a simple lowering. The flat roof to me is part of a T.

26. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

To me this is the best body I've seen so far, all though I dislike the aircleaner that's higher the the cowl top, and I'm no fan of them spoked front wheels. But over all, to me, this is the best chop, and the best roofline. Despite that the windshield corner Mismatch the door window, I think this guy did a good job.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458934755.976438.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458934813.342263.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458935109.060332.jpg

But a thick but completely flat roof looks like a kitchen counter or bar disk too me, and then I prefer No-Roof any day!

But I think that James D made a beautiful A-inspired roof.

59IMPALER likes this.
  27. you might look at the roofline of the '28-29 closed cab PU. it is a mild but in my view a pleasing change over that of the T roof
    [​IMG]

28. AndersF

AndersF

Its allmost impossible to build a T without to get the aircleaners above the cowltop.
    Unless you use the stock fenders so you can have the frame higher from the ground
    without it looks like a 4x4.
    For me it is the engine/body ratio on T:s that make them so cool.
    In a 32 the engine allmost dissipear and not looking very impressive at all.
    I have seen at least 2 builds with the rised cowltop. I think the mainreason
    was to keep the radiatortop below the cowltop rather then for lining windows.
    The "Bad news" T is one and Oldsboy:s sedan here on Hamb is another.
    Yes, that photochop James D made really look good.
    But this is a forum for old shit as they were 50 years ago and further back in time.
    Subtle changes are Chip Foose style.:D
    Okay okay. For those that follow my build this statement is to throw rocks i a glasshouse.
    But where the line goes betwin traditional and acceptible upgrades i belive there is
    just as many opinions about as it is forum members here.:)

volvobrynk and RICH B like this.