Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing Pains

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Growing Pains

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

hipster, flash, MJW and 23 others like this.
  2. Not elitist, just exclusive. Long may it continue.

hipster, LOU WELLS and kiwijeff like this.
  3. Well said. As you mentioned, common knowledge to many (some?) on here, but always good to reiterate.

People feel entitled. It's a website, it's 'free', therefore I'm allowed to post my car, and you have to accept it, no matter what. Thankfully, as you've explained once again in this post, people are wrong :)

I love the focus and 'narrowness' of this website. Traditional hotrods turn my crank. It's what I come here to see. Traditional hotrods that are era correct and are outdated by todays standards and technology. Reflective of a simpler, more honest time.

hipster, volvobrynk, Tedders and 2 others like this.
  4. I'm an admin at a private school and our way of doing school is not for everybody. We've designed something specific to a specific group of people. Sometimes families get hurt and upset when it doesn't work out or they are not accepted in the first place. They take it as we are passing judgement on them. Rather, we know from experience that they wouldn't be a good fit for the model we've created. That's all.

They point being, I feel ya. I've had many of the same type of conversations, but our resolve is strong because of the great benefit we provide to those who are a good fit.

hipster, Kiwi Tinbender, 325w and 4 others like this.

5. I think that all of society has taken on this sense of entitlement which makes folks feel like they are always right and the rest of us just need to accept it. Well here's the news, some things, the Jalopy Journal for instance, are as they have been and will continue to be. Carry on.:)

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I think most of it comes from the word traditional.

What we are doing is actualy not traditional at all. Take old parts that cost a arm and a leg to look cool and go faster than stock but not really that fast.

The modern parts, low buck, go fast crowd is truely more "traditional"
    In the sense of the tradition of hot rodding.

I always ditch the word traditional in these conversations and exchange it for period correct. Seems to be less confusion that way to those not in the loop.

If I have to explain it further I say restore to ten years after it was new lol.

hipster, Texas57, Frankie47 and 4 others like this.
  7. Uh I was there at least for the part of it that I like and he can kiss my rebel . . . well you know where this is going right?

Something that I have learned about the HAMB and cars in general, traditionally built or otherwise. None of anything about cars or the HAMB is 'beancentric, with me or without me it will all continue and I am good with that. ;)

@Ryan by the way have I told you lately that I love you. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    hipster, LOU WELLS, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  8. 117harv

117harv

I have mentioned this before, but when a new member gets an OT thread deleted he or she takes it personal. They will talk trash about the HAMB to whoever will listen, I have seen it first hand several times. I mean no disrespect, but the rules are buried, had the member you quoted in your post read them he wouldn't have posted what he did, I think.

There are soooooo many locked OT threads here from the early years that people discover on the HAMB via Google search, and this place always comes up. Since it is posted here, OT locked or not, the person joins and thinks this is is what the HAMB is about, they post an OT thread, it gets deleted and you get what you mentioned in your post.

I also see people make the following statements here, some new members and some who have been here awhile. "it's traditional to use whatever parts are at hand" and the ever popular " hey it was made before 64" I really like the recent crackdown and keeping the best site FOCUSED...thanks. :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    36 ROKIT, joeycarpunk, LongT and 3 others like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for comments, statement - yes, do see a number of people that arrive here that seem to think that this site is all inclusive. it can be a difficult line to walk when you have those with big bucks, multiple rides, extreme talent, etc. then a completely new person that comes here with little to try and catch hold of this moving train of input and ideas. motor on

mad mikey likes this.
  10. There are many sites that cater to rods and customs so I feel certain that guys like you referred to in your article can find acceptance with his style of build which in my way of thinking is more street rod than the styles we embrace.

I am sure that as big as the HAMB has become there are people that join because of it's huge audience,possibly the biggest on the internet.

Many join without ever reading the rules and then think they need to change to fit their prospective.

Thanks for sticking to your gunsRyan,your insight and dream of a traditional hot rod site some 20 years ago is as fresh and informative today as when you flipped the switch to start the Jalopy Journal/HAMB. HRP

Texas57, LongT, mad mikey and 4 others like this.
  11. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

I'm 24, build my shit, learned "hot rodding" from my dad and grandpa and from them I also learned those old farts really know how to figure shit out, usually.
    I was drawn to traditional hot rodding by seeing cool shit and finding out what it was. Eventually I ended up here because I LOVE the strict rules and I don't want to see the same shit I see at weekend car shows in Waco Tx, I want to see shit I like.
    If your pissing someone off, your doing something right.
    And I'm also a new here, only been a few months for me, but I've been trying to explain why I like bias tires, straight axles and drum brakes for a good while. Most folks think we're insane, I think they're right.

hipster, rpm56, jethro67 and 6 others like this.
  12. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I really do appreciate the Jalopy Journal/HAMB....it's a forum I feel very comfortable in, and I love the nostalgia and other people's views, skills, and ''visions'' of their cars/trucks! I learned a long time ago, (like many have on this site), you just can't please everyone all the time....guess it's human nature and to be expected. Some may get upset, but it's the freedom to express a nostalgic view that we all appreciate, and respect .... I do appreciate the focus and direction of ''the HAMB'' for what it is & stands for. It gives me reason to dream bigger visions with my own cars & appreciate my own humble skills to a higher standard set by others better than I!!---- I truly appreciate the past, for what was learned ''before me'' and what these cars meant then, and still do. Well done with the site, and I'm an avid fan, with respect....to the HAMB;):D---- Ray

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  13. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

French novelist Stendhal (Marie-Henri Beyle) dedicated "Le Rouge et le Noir" ("The Red and The Black") in English "to the happy few", that is, to those who were fortunate enough to understand and enjoy his writing. Marcel Proust in "A la Recherche du temps perdu" ("In Search of Lost Time") begins his novel with the act of eating a Madelaine which kicks his memory into maximum overdrive. For me, the HAMB is all about fellowship with others who share an interest not everyone understands, and to revel in the nostalgia that accompanies such a (road) trip. As Tim states above, there is a certain folly to recreating or preserving a vehicle created at considerable expense which by no means could successfully complete with a contemporary ride. Regardless, as the saying goes, "If I have to explain it to you, you probably wouldn't understand it anyway." Fortunately, there are many on the HAMB who do understand.

14. roundvalley

roundvalley

Looks like there are over 280,000 registered members plus all the guests. I would say you are doing something right!

15. belair

belair

To quote DDDenny's tag line - "If ya don't like my gate, don't swing on it"--Mom Denny. You better learn to fit this place, cause it isn't gonna work too hard to fit you.

16. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Good for you and until I found this website didn't really follow any. If the fellow wanted to list his non-traditional car then put it on a streetrod web. Geez I'm also glad that there is a following of younger hot rodders, who share the love of this website and what it stands for and I sure as Hell don't think they are elitists, but for the most part damn good mechanics who build all or a good part of their cars!!!!

hipster likes this.
  17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I like the term period correct better than traditional. That makes it a lot easier to explain it to people who dont "Get it." As far as things go with HAMB friendly cars, there is a lot of restoration involved with building a traditional car. I like to use restored original parts instead of new reproduction parts or even (gasp) a piece of shiny billet. For example mohair upholstery rather than tweed and cloth wiring instead of plastic covered make a car more period correct. Even picking a color for paint can make a car look traditional. Those are choices one has to make when building a car. For some it doesn't matter to them. I feel the details make all the difference. I am biased because I came from a strong AACA background. I feel we are trying to restore cars to a particular time and materials and style should reflect that. A new build should reflect an era and should be built to that. If you have disc brakes or IFS on a full fendered car just don't talk about those parts. haha.

i.rant, 29AVEE8 and Late to the Party like this.
  18. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I dropped the term "traditional" in favour of "historically accurate".

Saves me a lot of grief when talking to pedestrians.

19. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Ryan your leadership is really what's kept this place afloat. An increase in members could really dilute our purpose. I plan to nominate you for the Republican convention in Cleveland this July.

Hollywood-East and ct1932ford like this.
  20. I used to get upset when this came up, now I'm just amused....

21. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

At one point I remember thinking something along the lines of this: Building a Traditional or Period correct car is hard. You make sacrifices in safety and comfort for the look and feel of something from an era and embrace it. You delay your build because the right taillights or intake hasn't been located yet. You stretch for the steel body because it matters to you even though you can get a glass one. You've spent years studying other builders and have developed "Taste" (the most important aspect to me). There are people that fit those last few sentences and it feels right to them, and there are people that think that's crazy when you can get it done tomorrow for cheaper, or quicker, or easier... Often they don't see the difference when it's blaring to us. This is also the crowd that then blasts us for being elitist or snobby. It's not that, it's just that that line has to be drawn somewhere. And truth be told there is something more special about the right period correct car with all the attention to detail. When everything is combined it stands out above and beyond everything else around it and it draws people in. Those other guys want to be included in that crowd, even though they won't personally put the time and effort in. At this point I just focus on my buddies and don't even try with anyone else...

22. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Years ago my boss told me that it you try to be everything to everybody, you wind up being nothing to nobody.

Keep up the good work!

23. Jungle Jalopy

Jungle Jalopy

Right on, Ryan. Thanks for staying focused. I'm sure it's painful to have to weed things out. Feelings get bruised along the way, sadly. It's kind of a weird situation with hot ridding. In general, the old guys like the modern stuff and the young(ish) guys like the old stuff. I can't quite figure that one out. In the music world, genre names are usually added after the fact -" 60's Punk" "Surf" "Garage" etc. "Traditional Hot Rods" is the same. It defines a high water mark. Thanks for sticking with it.

24. i like playing all sports, but i don't bring my cleats to the ice rink, my skates to the diamond, or a puck to the grid iron.
    time and a place.
    carry on

jerseyboy, Texas57, Squablow and 5 others like this.
  25. Ryan, I bet you had no idea so many years ago just what kind of monster you were creating.:D;)

kiwijeff and Dino64 like this.
  26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

fuckem if they can't take a joke
    I still got the guido bros on speed dial

27. I was at a big show in a little Podunk town about 6 or 7 years ago. One of the locals called us "Purist" rodders. I liked it real well and that's what I am today, a "purist."

28. slammed

slammed

Ryan, put up a new sticky at the top of the forums masts. Word it very plainly, clearly. Release the GERM>

belair and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  29. Isn't that the HAMB version of "RELEASE THE KRACKEN!!!!!!!" ?????

[​IMG]

mad mikey and falcongeorge like this.
  30. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I love cars.

It is so rad that there are dedicated places like this to all types of different styles and era's of cars, motorcycles, surfing, coffee, music etc. I wish they all had the same dedication to the little details as this one though. like here there are growing pains with all of them.

Thanks for the hard work and keep it up.

Jungle Jalopy likes this.