Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Need a little info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jerrybigbird, Oct 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

I'm building a t bucket and was wondering if you guys could tell me about these 20151010_160742.jpg

2. That is, what we like to call, a shock absorber

3. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

So is it appropriate for the rear end of a t bucket it's not a fluid filled shock absorber and its not a coilover. I think it has a coil spring in it I got 2 of them for free....what kind of shock absorber is it

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  4. 2racer

2racer

5. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

20160322_105938.jpg 20160322_110034.jpg 20160322_110034.jpg Ok so I know it's a shock but I still can't find any info on them ....there is nothing stamped on them I can't even tell who they are made by and I can't get them to compress at all and from what I can tell they are height adjustable and preload adjustable .... they fit my hot rod good and they look good but I dunno..... maybe I'm just holding my face wrong...lol

6. bchctybob

bchctybob

I would get some regular tube shocks or lever shocks and hang those on the wall as conversation pieces. No sense mounting those, finding out they don't work, and having to rebuild brackets for different shocks. Do it right - do it once.

Jerrybigbird likes this.
  7. They look like those short shocks that they sell for a late model bagger. Do they have an air fitting on them anywhere?

Really all a shock does is dampen your spring, it is a boinger that takes the spoing out of your ride. Try 'em if they work you're golden and if they don't you can always buy shocks that fit later.

8. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

No air fittings that I can see

9. They look to me like after market Harley Shocks for a late model bike.

Here is some that resemble them, I can't find the ones I am looking for right now.

[​IMG]

patmanta and Jerrybigbird like this.
  10. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Here's my next question..... if I use coil overs can I get away with using the transverse spring and skip the Panhard bar? Or do I need the Panhard bar for sure? I got my spring from speedway and it's only rated for a 2000 pound vehicle and I definitely missed that mark....

11. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

That them I think

12. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

You would think being for a mc they would compress easier?

13. Beaner hit it.... Those are Harley Softail shocks and they work backwards compared to 'standard' shocks. 'Relaxed', they're fully compressed and under load they're 'stretched' or pulled open. Not going to work here....

Jerrybigbird likes this.
  14. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Duh

15. Terrible80

Terrible80

Softail shocks work kinda backwards more expansion than compression.

16. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

Damn thats not what I wanted th hear but I think you just answered all my questions thanks a bunch now I can quiet banging my head off the wall lol

17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I would put those on the shelf and get some regular tube shocks. If they don't compress or move, they're either busted or need too much force to move them to be a good thing to put on your car. And the deal-killer I see is there is what, maybe an inch or two of travel there if you do get them working.

Your tensioned/preloaded transverse spring would be what eliminates the need for a panhard, not coil-overs. Coil overs won't control lateral shimmy any more than a shock does and would busy up your rear end's look without adding much more than stiffness to your ride.

IDK if the open driveline changes things as far as panhard & loaded transverse though. You should probably just run a panhard, put your shock mounts on top of the frame, not underslung like that (better angle = efficiency, more room for a shock with sufficient travel), and not find out why these were decent suggestions the hard way ;)

18. Jerrybigbird

Jerrybigbird
    from Montana

But if the coil overs carry most of the load then the transverse spring works the same as the Panhard rod? Only difference being that it's behind the axle instead of above the axle? I can build a Panhard bar no sweat but the spring and hangers are already there

19. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I tend to think transferring load to coil overs would diminish the transverse spring's effectiveness to control the rear end.

20. The shocks on my FXS will hold me and the old lady off the tire at highway speed. granted she only weighs about 145 and I weigh in at 170 or so but they will hold up a big dude and a fat girl too. LOL

21. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Harley Softail shocks with lowering kit added. Used like in the picture, the rearend would be ridged mount. They work backwards compared to a standard coil over shock.

Jerrybigbird likes this.