Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage FUNNIEST THING OVERHEARD AT CRUISE OR SHOW?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Mar 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. How about; Once more for old times sake? ;)

volvobrynk, whtbaron, hipster and 3 others like this.
  2. cfmvw

cfmvw

I run EFI on my VW motor, but I'm often told by the uninformed that it HAS to be a Porche motor because you can't put fuel injection on a Volkswagen.
    Was checking out a '32 Ford that had Moon discs on it, and some loudmouth was arguing with the owner that you can't put those on there because you'll cook the brakes.
    Met a guy with a Mercer, and he was more than happy to talk to me about it because I knew what it was, although I admitted that I didn't know much about them. While we were discussing it, somebody came up to him and asked him what kind of a kit car it was.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Hitchhiker likes this.
  3. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I took a " non" hotrod friend on a day-cruise in my 1914 Olds bucket "roadster" (I've NEVER had a canvas top on it), ... when we got parked for lunch and in line with the other cars on the street, he asked me with a very straight face climbing out of the car: "So, ...How do you lock the doors on this thing???"....We both just looked at each other for 3 seconds, and then both bust out laughing, at such a really dumb question! I still rib him about that one every chance I get:D

volvobrynk, hipster and wraymen like this.
  4. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My favorite recent one is the guy who looked over my f100 unibody and told me how his dad has one JUST LIKE IT. An then in the next breath asked if I just unbolted the box, slid it forward and welded it solid.
    Yup, did it just like your dad did.

volvobrynk and hipster like this.
  5. That is a nice Studebaker. How much work was it putting the Ford front sheetmetal on it?

Jet96 and belair like this.
  6. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I parked my '55 F100 just inside the entrance to Billetproof the last time I went, and some older (probably younger!) derelict in bib overalls and a singed beard shouts out (from 6 feet away!) "Hey, the door locks on that old truck still work?" (I was locking the drivers door)
    I answered, "Nah...Just checking to see if I drove the right truck..."

I found my son (with his identical truck, only his has Torq Thrusts) and he drove me up to mine.
    The 'farmer' was standing next to my drivers door, looking at my Stewart-Warners. He looked shocked..."How many of these have ya got?"
    Then he asked, "This thing really do 160?" My son answered, "Yeah, but only on the freeway..."

volvobrynk, hipster, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

My dad did the same thing, but I dont do this with my kid. The way I figure it, I'd rather she know I'm an idiot now than have her be disillusioned later in life...:D

8. I heard at a car show show "Man how did you ever paint that car?"
    I said, "It was real hard, it took 85 years!" 10700275_10202717126465745_7191687916352057701_o.jpg

9. On the good side of what folks say at cruises and car shows ......
    I have two '51's, one is a "close to stock" Mayland Black, Styleline Deluxe 2 door sedan.
    Back in 2002 or 2003, an elderly couple, certainly in their 80's, holding hands, shuffled to my car.
    They looked into the right side, then shuffled around, looking into the drivers side, speaking softly to one another, as they pointed to this and that.
    I got up from my folding chair, introduced myself as the owner.
    They told me my black '51 was the same car, color and model, that they bought new, for their honeymoon, back in 1951.
    Holding hands, and their old camera, I asked if I could take their picture, with the car.
    They were excited to do so.
    I then suggested they sit in the car, for the pics.
    Even more big smiles from them.
    He walked her around to the passenger side, opened the door for her, assisted her into the car.
    He then worked his way into the drivers seat, grabbing the wheel.
    She scooted close to him, probably just as they did, back in 1951.
    They spent so much time in the car, looking and touching the dash, their "1951 car conversation" went on and on, with one another.
    Meanwhile, I was snapping pics, with their old camera, I truly hoped they got good pics.
    By now, they both have probably passed, but have to tell you guys, there has not been a day, at any car show, that was more meaningful to me.

10. That was an awesome story @bobg1951chevy.

Seriously, thanks for posting.

11. ken bogren

ken bogren

Here's a coupe, there's a coupe, every cars a coupe.....

Don't be too hard on younger guys making that mistake.

When they're hearing NEW4 door cars being called coupes by manufacturers what are they supposed to think?

They other day I heard an ad referring to "coupe like handling", what the heck is that? Sports car handling, maybe, but "coupe like" .... maybe I just need to get out more.

T.L., volvobrynk, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.
  12. stimpy

stimpy

must be hard buying gas for that thing as it needs that ultra high premium stuff ....o_O:confused: hmm late model Pontiac v-8 455 with 9:1 compression ( not stock ) and hardened seats , my FIL s silverstreak powered 49 loves cheap gas , cheaper the better ( probably would run it on kerosene if it wasn't so expensive now) , just add a bottle of valve seat saver ..

13. stimpy

stimpy

hmmm my 1970 type 3 was a porsche according to him, LOL uglyist Porsche I ever saw then , kick but running car till the rubber mounts fail .

14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was at one of the very first Power Tours that rolled through the Midwest. Afterwards, an impromptu burnout contest fired up near one of the parking lot exits as folks were dumping their coolers to motivate the participants. There were a few badass burnouts and tons of spectators gathered around. Then a couple of guys in a not so clean, jacked up 74 GTO rolled up for their turn. The driver pulled completely through the wet area (which was noticed by the passenger hanging out the window). The passenger says wait a minute back up some. The driver did and the passenger kept saying a little more, a little more...then it was perfect. They both turned their attention to the front and to the job at hand. A big thumbs up out the window from the passenger as driver revs the engine. Then he popped the clutch and the car just about through both of them through the windshield as it took off hard in reverse and sat itself right in the middle of the hood of a really nice 64 Riviera!

15. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I've had a few occasions where I needed to educate the know-it-alls that have called my Y-block a Small Block Chevy that yes, Ford really did put a distributor in the rear of a V8. I'm sure some left thinking I was either an idiot or I was pulling their leg. But I knew who the idiot was!

16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

That reminds meow when Toad backs up into the old fellow's card in American Graffiti and tells him he'll let it go but be more careful next time.

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

How about a BBC powered 65' Ford Galaxy doing a burn out? He thought he was doing good till someone told him to stop..It was his clutch making the smoke!

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

:eek::p:p
    ocean park 2013 082.jpg

19. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thats just wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But funny

Oldmics - Owner of many real "Y" Blocks

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    Chrisbcritter and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

When I saw Cornfeds post, I knew I just HAD TO post that...:D

hipster and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. You sir went above and beyond in showing class,I know you made their day by giving them a gimps of a earlier time in their lives with a car that held fond memories.

Good man. HRP

volvobrynk, hipster, Saxman and 3 others like this.
  22. You're welcome. It was a day and time that I will never forget.

volvobrynk and Bubba1955 like this.
  23. I have this NOS octane booster bottle for a radiator catch can and invariably some kid will come up and tell his buddy, He's got "NAWS" on it!

I just grin and don't tell him any different... :D

IMG_4205 - Copy - Copy.JPG

moparornocar1966 likes this.
  24. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Wife and I took her 65 Mustang junkmobile, my cross to bear at the time, to go up into British Columbia, Canada for a Nostalgia race at the Eagle Motorplex. We got as far as Bridal Veil Falls, stopped for gas, and I see a few wisps of steam coming from under the hood. Opened the hood, and the top tank of the radiator split.; this was on a Sunday, with nothing open, other than the gas station/store we stopped at. I bought a gallon of milk, just for the container, as they had no water at the pumps. Filled the radiator, beat the radiator back as much as I could with a tire iron, left the cap off, and headed back home. Kept having to stop, let it cool down, add water, and drive some more. Finally get to the border, and the US Border Agent asks me if I had anything to "declare". JUST THAT THIS CAR IS A PIECE OF JUNK!!!!! P.O.'d the wife off big time. We did't quite make it home, we're having to get off the freeway to let the car cool down and add water again, but it was a long, uphill, off-ramp, and the car died. Could't get the car started again, even after letting it cool. Hitch a ride home, took a radiator out of a Ranchero we had, went back, and swapped out the radiator. Pulled the plugs, most had aluminum particles on them (???). Put new ones in, fired the car up, and drove it the rest of the way home. Do you have anything to declare? You bet I do! There was more to that story, that's the short version, but a few weeks later I managed to convince her to let me trade the Junkstang in on a brand new, 90 Mustang LX 5.0 for her. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

volvobrynk, hipster and falcongeorge like this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Man, IIRC that Loafers deal was in August, you are lucky it died in Bridal Falls, and not further up in the Fraser Canyon, you do NOT want the be stuck in the Canyon in August. A few decades ago, we were just outside Spences Bridge heading east towards Merritt to go camping, my GF at the time was driving. All of a sudden I get this big idea and yell "Stop the car, theres something I gotta try!!". I start hauling crap out of the back of the car, and she is looking at me like I am crazy and asking me what the hell I am doing. I get the cooler dug out, open it up and take an egg out and crack it and empty it out on the road. Shes like "Have you lost your mind? what the hell are you doing??!!" I'm yelling "WATCH THIS!! WATCH THIS!!" Sure enough, after a couple minutes it starts to change from clear to white around the edges, I'm all excited, "LOOK! LOOK! ITS COOKING! I'M FRYIN' AN EGG ON THE ROAD!!" She just rolls her eyes and says "You made me stop for THIS??!! Yer a mental case..."

26. Mengestwinspeedshop

Mengestwinspeedshop
    from Santa Rosa

"Hey they are starting something new, a shiny rat rod!"
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458621273.789939.jpg

Montana1 likes this.
  27. HRP, thanks. That couple certainly left me with a lasting impression.

28. clem

clem

Reminds me of a few years back at a deuce day, an about 8 year old boy was trying to look through the window of my car, careful not to touch it. I happened to walk past just then so opened the door and told him to sit in it..
    Big smile, gratitude from parents and a potential future hot rodder......
    ( made his day and mine)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  29. YUP, Danny there are some good B.S.ers up here in Pigeon Forge and they show up every year. They usally are the loud talking ones on their cell phones like they are real important. lol.Bruce..

30. REALLY.LOL.Bruce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.