Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Ford truck hot rod roadster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Todd M., May 26, 2014.

1. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

I like the white firewall, wheels and grille idea. Grille right now looks very monochromatic. I think black wheels will take away from the look and make the wheels, hubs and tired look like black blobs. White wheels with the black hubs more define the wide five. I like the wheel trim rings for a good contrast. You could maybe break up the grille/shell with some contrasting white or chrome trim around the insert. Or you could do all the contrasting parts outside to match your gauge face color. Depends on how many colors you want to deal with. Nice truck.

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And here it is with the white wheels and grille to match the firewall. Thanks to Moose on the Photoshop thread.
    white grill.jpg white grill2.jpg

Larry.

kidcampbell71 and exterminator like this.
  3. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks for the help and ideas! I've got next week set aside to take it to the next level and was drawing blanks on ideas.

4. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks. I agree it needs something to make the grille flow with the rest of it. I do have the stainless insert for the grille shell I may use.

5. exterminator

exterminator

Todd M, I have a question for you.If you built your truck today- would you do anything different in building it?

6. Todd M.

Todd M.

A real good question. When ever I do a build and nearing completion, I always think of how I could do it better. In all reality their are a 1,000+ different ways to build this truck and some times close to the end I get that feeling it may need something. So that is why I ask for some ideas that I may not of thought of to improve on.

7. Todd M.

Todd M.

Well, tomorrow I will tear into it to do some cosmetic enhancements. If their other ideas please chime in. Leave it alone? change the grille inner color, wheels?............

8. Todd M.

Todd M.

I was thinking maybe just paint the wheels body color (maroon) to tie it all in. Not sure the white grille and wheels for this one.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You mean like this ?
    Once again thanks to Moose in the Photoshop thread. :)

maroon wheels.jpg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. Todd M.

Todd M.

Man, Now I'm not sure what to do. the maroon wheels look good and, so does the white.

11. Always fun to spend someone else's money ..... but if my wish list mattered/it doesn't ..... what's up with chroming everything ? Other then the large hole in the wallet .... those wheels and grille would scream in chrome .... but I've been a fan of the original and now the photo peeks too. So yeah ..... what the heck do ya' do ? :) It's a great quiz anyway. Love your truck Todd.

12. i think a little pin stripe would finish this off perfect.

13. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Personally I like the clean look without any pin striping.
    If you choose pin striping , it's better when it is restricted to accent lines.
    It can get out of hand over the top to the point of being garish and cheesy when the pin striper is given free reign and starts in with the big complex pattern thing.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  14. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Well there goes another morning of discovery! I have bypassed your build thread until today thinking it was not something i would be interested in..... I was wrong! I couldn't stop reading until I made it through all 18 pages. You built a great looking Hot Rod! The the removable top was well executed and looks great. Thanks for sharing the build with us.

15. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

And I was just thinking how cool those looked. Different from everybody else. W. White will also look nice.

16. Todd M.

Todd M.

I thought about it and have the know how to execute it. If I stripe it would be very subtle.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  17. Todd M.

Todd M.

Thanks.

18. Todd M.

Todd M.

I totally agree.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  19. yes, i was thinking just a pin stripe along the body reveal........maybe hub color?

20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

About that top... Do you have any detail photos of how you locate and secure the top? have you decided to install the windows and seals yet?

21. Todd M.

Todd M.

I'll take a couple this week. I used house door/window brass locks to secure the top. works great!

22. Todd M.

Todd M.

the original Hub color?

23. it looks gray/silver /light charcoal color on my screen.

24. Todd M.

Todd M.

the hub is stainless steel and the wheels right now are a 1930 model A cream/yellow.

25. the silver/stainless stripe would be nice with that last photoshop i quoted, the shot with the maroon wheels and white grill.

26. Todd M.

Todd M.

I think I've decided for now leave the grille Maroon and go with black wide five wheels. I may do a subtle pin stripe if time permits this week.
    [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. kasselyn29

kasselyn29

Can you post pictures of front shocks they look well hidden.

28. Todd M.

Todd M.

The black wheels look much better!
    [​IMG]

29. A.A.Additude

A.A.Additude
    from NE Kansas

cool build,, What was the decision to cut across the back where you did and not at the body line? have a small angle cut at the door and would be barely noticeable with some maroon beading. Just wondering,,,

Cool concept man and great execution. thumbs up

30. Todd M.

Todd M.

At the body line would have been way too low, and would have looked funny with the top off.