Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Steering box dilemma Shoebox.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by captaintaytay, Feb 27, 2016.

1. Has anybody run into a frozen steering box adjustment screw?
    Lock nut loosens up but adj won't budge.
    I know their is a procedure, got it from VanPelt.
    I have about 2" of play in the steering, like sawing wood when driving.:eek:
    Got all the stuff for coil spring swap (Areostar).
    Was hoping maybe coil spring swap would do the trick.
    I might be looking at a steering box now, expensive $500.00 just for part.:(

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Penetrating oil? Little heat, more penetrating oil..

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

maybe someone will let you know of a good steering box upgrade replacement - forget about coils for now.

4. Volvo box, maybe?

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search here, if no results go online - this was a H.A.M.B. thread: '49-'51 Ford Steering Options, Experiences..... by chop32, Jul 27, 2012.

6. While I'm not one to give up, I just don't think my abilities are up to do a Volvo swap.

7. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

The Cavalier rack works great in a shoebox. Check out Fatman's web sight. This is NOT a bolt in swap, but it sure makes a shoebox into a great driver. e mail me at [email protected] if you want more info.

captaintaytay likes this.
  8. Thanks Rick, but I really don't want to install a rack set up. Just trying to keep it as original as possible.
    I'm trying to find the simplest path to go so the car is not down any longer than it's been.
    It would be nice if I could adjust it and go, but it's not looking good. I do appreciate your input.

9. Mr. Joker, thanks for the info. I read chop32's thread. Alot of options, more confusion on what to do now. I gotta figure out something though.

10. That's the first thing I'm doing, Ya never know, it might work. Thanks much

11. Some heat and penetrating oil, two weeks no budge.
    The thrust screw is brass and I'm thinking it is not suppose to be.
    I'm wondering now if is stripped. Brass is just splintering.
    Anymore suggestions?, there is gotta be a way to get this thing loose.

12. Ok stupid question here, but I have been known to ask a stupid question or two in my time.
    Why would changing the springs make the steering box tighter? :confused:

As for the stuck screw a little heat and an impact should cure that and I'll be its jammed in as far as it wants to go. they only do so much then its time to reman the box. it sounds like this is a goodtime to learn some basic mechanics to me.

13. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I think my adjustment set screw is bottomed out as well. I had to heat it with an oxy-aceteline torch to get it to move at all , then it just moved a tiny bit in, but will turn out OK. My box will be off to Chris very soon.

14. bchctybob

bchctybob

If it was mine and I had to keep the stock box, I would look around for another stock steering box to learn on and rebuild if necessary, then swap out the old one.
    Sometimes shock will help loosen a rusted bolt; Use a punch that won't irreparably damage the head and smack it once or twice straight on - not sideways. You said it looks like brass so that shock method may not work. Good luck.

15. Thanks for the advise, will do.

16. If it becomes too big a chore ship me the box. I cannot wrench right now but I got a good friend that is more than willing to let me point and grunt and he is pretty damned good with a wrench.

17. The screw on mine is no way near bottomed out.
    Looks to me like its never been adjusted.
    Confined area, maybe I didn't apply enough heat.
    Thanks for the input appreciate it.

18. Ya, it's brass. Thanks for your help.

19. tim troutman

tim troutman

there may be a star shaped washer under the jamnut that sets in a slot in the screw your trying to turn that has to be raised to turn the screw also on a 50 box it seams like there is an eccentric adjustment on the bottom of the box by loosening 4 bolts and turning

20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Doesn't that adjusting screw thread into the small 4 bolt plate on top of the box?
    (never mind removing them, you have to turn the adjusting screw 'in' in order to remove the sliding pawl out of the sector shaft groove at its top...)

21. No star washer, just a flat one.

Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

22. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, get price for rebuild, Lares Corp. Mn. Their ads are in most car magazines. Did 2 for me, reasonable, quick service.

23. Thanks for the info.
    I'm going to try one more time to free up adj screw.

wicarnut likes this.
  24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I don't remember of you said it or not, but are you using an oxy-aceteline torch to heat it up, or just a propane torch ? If the latter of the 2, I'd find a buddy with an oxy-aceteline torch with a small tip to heat up the lock nut while holding the screw and see if it works. Usually does for me.

25. I'am using oxy-aceteline, the lock nut is free and can be removed if need be.
    The screw is the culprit, I was just heating around the box just outside of the screw.
    I have also been mentioning that the screw is brass. From what I understand brass properties are different when heated and tend to expand more easily. Maybe I'll try to freeze the screw and see if it gives.

26. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Captain
    Loosen the nut about half way up, then hit the side of the nut with a hammer & punch.
    Not too hard. It might free it

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I wonder if you could remove the nut , heat the box around the stuck screw , then blow compressed air on the screw ?or maybe put an ice cube on it ? or like I saw in another thread recently , melt a candle around the threads ?

I've never seen one so stuck it couldn't be removed ... That sucks :(

28. Got the old mixture of trans fluid and acetone on it.
    If that doesn't work I'll try some freeze off on the screw.