Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A Woody Inspiration and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Scott Mannion, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

I think I am probably opening an old can of worms, but does anyone on the HAMB have any pictures/build threads/advice on building a Model A Woody? I am still considering what to build as a family friendly but unusual traditional rod and I've been thinking about sedans/vans/sedan deliverys (dreaming), but they don't quite fire up my imagination enough to pursue further and start planning, saving, sourcing and buying parts. I realise that it is unlikely that I will be able to find an original Woody within budget (when I am finally ready to buy/build), so a 'phantom' woody is probably the way I will go on a standard 'A' frame. I would like it to look as 'factory' as possible (curved roof, correct timber profiles) and definitely not looking like I've reversed into a shed! I don't think there's any harm in testing the waters and picking the knowledgeable HAMB members collective brains, so bear with me and be gentle! Thanks

2. dana barlow likes this.
  3. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpg image.jpg Don't give up dreaming.....Build it like this one. Stock Model A from the grill back to the doors. From behind doors back it is fabricated sheet metal on a thin gauge square and rectangular tube framework, to look like a panel delivery. The top has a Model A type fabric covering. Looked to me like a very useful, fun hot rod. Pic's are from Iola 2015.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Outback and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

nothing like a challenge

Scott Mannion likes this.

5. slv63

slv63

6. slv63

slv63

If you can build a woody, then it's not that far of a stretch to make it a hot rod...

7. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

For me, the straight vertical, hard lined cabins are a big turn off. So I'd say spend some time with a profile gauge on some stock panels at least to get the general curvatures of the body to incorporate in the wood. Cut your timbers and hang them on a box tube frame. I'd suggest a 28/29 cowl for the project since the A pillars give a clear break in the body.

jerseyboy and Scott Mannion like this.
  8. hbwoody

hbwoody

The National Woodie Club has plans.

9. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Yup, join the National Woodie Club and you can purchase a set of plans from them. Model A woodies are pretty straight forward, no compound curves. The arches over the wheel wells have "finger joints" but you don't have to get that exact. Most Model A cowls can be adapted to woodie sides. Good luck and post pictures.

10. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks for the links. I am ok with woodwork, but we live between two boating marinas and seem to be surrounded by loads of woodworkers! I am not ready to dive in yet but, thanks to yours and everyone elses' responses I am starting to get really fired up with this idea.

11. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks for that.

12. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

13. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks for your reply. I agree with your comment about the totally straight lines. I quite like them on the 'factory' woodys but you would have to copy them exactly and even then it's a bit of a gamble. I'm up for a slightly different take on it, the aim being to create something that might have been and get's people scratching their heads (for the right reasons!).

14. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks!

15. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks. I am not sure about joining the National Woodie Club - I am in Scotland (bit of a trek to attend club meets!). I'll have a look though.

16. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Scott, you don't have to attend any meetings. By joining you get a magazine called the "Woodie Times", every month. We have members all over the world, not only in the US.

Outback likes this.
  17. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I had a plan to build one on the backburner and probably will at some point. I was going for a cutdown tudor tub layout. I concluded that to get away from the huckster look of a woody, I'd need to follow the major body lines and contours of a steel body.

This shouldn't be terribly difficult with patience, paperboard, something to pull profiles from, and a contour gauge. Once you've got templates made, it's a matter of rough-cutting, fitting the wood structure and shaving it until it's perfect. You can lay plywood inside either flat or you can cut profiles inside the structure to parallel the structure too if you feel like it.

That Volvo Street Rod Modified roadster that got lots of attention a couple years back has a woody version apparently. http://konradjanicki.blogspot.com/2015/10/hot-rod-caresto-jakob-woody-dla.html

Hot Rod Works did a RPU that was pretty cool:
    [​IMG]

There's a bunch out there. Point is, the more a car and less a crate it looks like, the better, at least IMO.

18. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a homemade one that we sent to Fla. a few years ago. HPIM0679.JPG

19. Although based on a fibre 32 3w cowl, I have always liked the simplicity and clean lines of this one. JW
    [​IMG]

20. Manager

Manager

I reckon the ugly factor of model A woodys is in the lower part of the doors. Instead of the front of the cowl having a bit of timber so the front of the door can be straight up and down you need to curve the door at the bottom to suit the cowl.Sort of like the orange one except continue the curve through further.. Maybe get someone to draw something first before you start making firewood.:)

jerseyboy, patmanta and Scott Mannion like this.
  21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

166744_10200835466195304_1740930653_n.jpg DSC_0326.JPG DSC_0331.JPG DSC_0448.JPG I'm kinda partial to this Bugatti that sleeps at the Mullin Museum.The cowl is straight at the door just like the Model A Ford.

Outback, catdad49, GuyW and 2 others like this.
  22. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I owned this one twice 178.JPG 191.JPG 149.JPG 146.JPG 192.JPG 137.JPG 193.JPG

brEad, Gasser 57, Outback and 12 others like this.
  23. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks for that - every photo is giving me ideas.

24. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks for this.

25. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

26. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

This is gorgeous. I am surprised that you ever sold it. It's very close to what I had originally imagined - nice and simple but well built. I had only had a vague idea of what colour should I paint it, but your(ex?) car has opened up new colour thoughts! Thanks for posting.

PONTNAK123 likes this.
  27. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

Thanks for your comment. I see what you mean. One thing about posting this question is that it has really got me carefully considering what works and what doesn't. I am pretty handy with drawing/photoshop/drafting so I'll certainly be doing a LOT of sketches and mock-ups before I get anywhere near the woodpile! It may even be an excuse to re-purchase the old Revell Model A Woody kit I built as a kid!

28. Scott Mannion

Scott Mannion
    from Scotland

A huge thank you to everyone who has taken the trouble to reply to my very vague question! HAMB is the best. :)So far, all I know for sure is that it will be based on an 'A' frame, traditional suspension and powered by a flathead or something quirky that catches my imagination (and fits the budget). Although not ready to start buying, I noticed a pile of very rough parts (rolling frame, fenders, cowl, hood and floor) at a good price, so it's all do-able. (Note to self - must stop looking at the classifieds until I can afford to buy!).;)

29. i co-built a 37 studebaker woody hot rod with a cabinet maker. he prebuilt all the wood using pine, sheet rock screws and hot glue. it was rough but it allowed him to change the shape easily. once he got it to where he liked it he then made the pieces out of good wood. i will have to find some photos.

Outback, GuyW and Scott Mannion like this.