Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gary Essman

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Michelle Essman Carls, Mar 3, 2016.

1. My mom in Indy at the raceway where my dad raced [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  2. Hi Michelle,

Thanks for sharing your Dad's history with us. As someone else mentioned, you should take in a few nostalgia races there. The Nostalgia scene is growing rapidly in Texas....
    Check out the Texas Blown Fuel Association: http://www.texasblownfuel.com/
    and the Texas Timing Association: http://texastiming.com/
    and lastly (not nearly as close, but definitely the biggest of the bunch), the NHRA Holley National Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green, Kentucky: https://www.holley.com/events/

Kurt (Blownfuel)

3. Thank you I checked out the Texas blowen fuel it wasn't up to date . I was hoping to go to the Texas Roundup. I will be out of town but my oldest son will be going . He is the one that would like to start racing

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. My oldest son Derek the one in uniform is only 20 who is in the reserves has been looking for a old truck that is not to much money so he could fix it up and race . I don't know if he should be looking for a truck or a car what is more popular for street race tracks ? We found out about Little River he plans on going there and checking it out soon one weekend .

5. abone1930

abone1930

Awesome picks, thanks for sharing

Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  6. I have another mystery car . I know my Mom is pretty but I need more information on the pretty altered with the number 88 on it my Dad drove sitting in the driveway which I have no idea why at our old place in Burbank the pic is a little worn . My Mom said she can't remember but for some reason the owner Hartwell comes to mind . I have a black and white pic of this car with my Dad driving it. I would love to have more info on it and now that we know what color it is maybe somebody could find more pics for me with my Dad driving he may have a white helmet on or a purple Yogi Bear helmet he had the white helmet customized later as the purple Yogi Bear helmet or just stand alone pics of the car is great also My Mom said my Dad drove for Hartwell often that he may have other cars he owned and my Dad drove [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  7. Fine looking dog as well.:)

8. I forgot to mention Yogi loved her so much she was my first dog my parents had bought her just before i was born she would protect me she lived to be 15 no kidding.

9. That is a great pic, dog with your mom and the car. LOVE THIS THREAD!

10. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Totally cool thread....pics are simply outstanding;):D

lothiandon1940 and Hamtown Al like this.
  11. saltracer219

saltracer219

Michelle, thank you so much for sharing. This is an outstanding thread. We here on the H.A.M.B. all love vintage hot rod and race car history. We just can't get enough. Your Dad was an outstanding racer and your contribution here is much appreciated. Thanks again, Gary Vail

12. I have a request that I have shared on other sites .That would mean so much to me and my oldest son I'm looking for my Dad's purple Yogi Bear helmet it was once white until he was able to get it money to have it customized to the purple Yogi Bear helmet. It was the only helmet he owened he use to borrow helmets before that . It was in a black racing bag with his fire suit and gloves in it my Mom doesn't remember if had his name on the back of it .I have lived in Tx for 22 years so I don't know exactly where he kept it except I knew where when I was a kid. My oldest son asked him where it was the answer he gave him was I don't know it may have been misplaced during a move or I got rid of it and he didn't want to talk anymore about it anymore I know it didn't come to Tx when they moved here 8 yrs ago so it would of be anytime in the last 20 yrs in Northern California or Las Vegas area I don't know. The picture below is the best picture I have of it from a Hot Rod Magazine in 1970 The Yogi Bear was on the forehead of the helmet only and the painting was of metal flakes any help would be appreciated. Please look at the picture below.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  13. [​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  15. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Put him in a fuel altered!!!

16. It sure does look like that

17. You may want to modify the title of this thread??? Just an opinion. The power of the HAMB has worked in the past. Hope you find that helmet.

18. Thanks Chucky . I will in the next week I'm almost done with my writing about my Dad and I will change it over . I probably should of waited to talk about that .

19. Glad you found us, Michelle. You have brought a whole lot to the site. Hope the helmet surfaces.
    The ''wanted'' section in the HAMB classifieds might be the place for a new thread. Even folks who aren't members here seem to find the board through that section. A couple of good photos of the helmet, maybe..
    Many thanks to your son for his service. My eldest just finished her 6 years in the Army. Makes a parent proud.

20. That what be a lot
    Very proud and thank you for the advice I will do that . I also thought about going to some out of state Craigslist like Vegas and posting it in the wanted section .

21. One of the H.A.M.B members alerted me of the NHRA top fuel license numbers that he found on the Internet my Dad's number was 756 I see a lot of his friends on here too. I wonder if they ever replace these numbers or will his number always will always remain the same ? He had some friends that had great careers for along time in NHRA [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Michelle
    Please understand that I'm sure you are aware of this, but thought I would put it out there anyway. One thing about posting in "items wanted" classifieds, regardless of venue, and especially C/L, be mindful of those with less than honorable intentions. The criminally inclined will use any opportunity they can to play on any emotional input they read in these type of requests. I really want you to find the helmet, but I don't want to see you get taken advantage of.
    Doug

23. Thank you Doug for your concern. I will definitely be careful

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  24. Michelle, we have a site that covers several states in the midsouth, I can give you the info, or post a wanted ad for you. I know its a long shot, but I know of several west coast cars that have shown up in this area in past years. www midsouthracers.com Pm me if I can be of any help

25. That would be great thank you if you could post it for me

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  26. I just watched part 3 DVD Lions The Greatest Drag Strip I just received it the mail today . I saw my Dad four times but they didn't mention his name twice the first still pic was in Hartwell car then the wheely in the black Magic Muffler car still pic and video of him being backed up in his own car which I posted a screen shot of the beginning of the video. I haven't seen anybody post video on here unless I would show you the video the last video I saw was him doing the wheely and going down the raceway all over the place .One of the H.A.M.B members alerted me to watch this DVD I'm so thankful to see him it was great . I have told you guys I only remember bits and pieces but one thing has that has puzzled me along time . I remember sitting in the stands waiting for my Dad to go soon my Mom and I were sitting with her friend we were sitting down track farther than normal and then thats when I dont remember but I remember some kind of explosion and remember my Mom's reaction was of fear and she ran away to some lady I'm sure she knew it wasn't him right away but I was only 4 I didn't understand and I was up with her friend I remember screaming Daddy that I remember well her friend was trying to hide my face from looking and I kept crying and she kept telling me my Dad was okay he didn't get in a accident and she took me away from the bleachers . I asked my Mom when I was much older about the memory I had of being in the bleachers crying for dad and I remember some kind of explosion and something real bad happen she wasn't sure and that I have seen wrecks when I was little well I remember now after watching the video it was Big Daddy Gartlis crash I was about 4 his dragster was black just like my Dad's and he had redish moroon colored helmet if my Dad's helmet was just right in the sun light with the pink reddish strip would look redish since we were down aways when Gartlis broke in half. I thought it was my Dad on the track now I can remember it from over 40 yrs ago what happen if you look at the video on the DVD he was in the shade and his helmet looked redish plum color That is so wild and sad and glad he was able to race again putting it all together today. The pic below is my Dad being backed up in his dragster [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing...Your Dad had some pretty cool rides to say the least!

30. I was going to ask if you had pics of your Dad's "Drivers", but THESE pics are a hard act to follow. Still, I imagine your Dad drove some cool cars on the street, being as he couldn't drive his "company car".