Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

My hometown: Ed Lilly's Shell station in the Village of Rogue River, Oregon.....it was severely damaged during the massive 001.jpg Rogue River Flood of 1964...most buildings were simply washed away just below it.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  2. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Village of Rogue River, Oregon...1944...home on leave! 002.jpg

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  3. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Village of Rogue River, Oregon....1947....hunting was a 'necessity' back-in-the-day! 003.jpg

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  4. dad-bud

dad-bud

Video of Melbourne back in 1940 (mostly).
    It pretty much details a tram ride from around Clifton Hill in the inner NE suburbs into the city past some landmarks. It's interesting to note the lack of traffic and the open tram cars (especially given that Melbourne has a reputation for raining often). If you saw the same route today, you would note how much bigger all the trees are around the place.
    Anyway, I hope you enjoy it. Cheers.

5. dad-bud

dad-bud

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (another Porsche in the background trying to kill it's owner/driver for trying to go a bit fast)
    [​IMG]

Raiman1959 likes this.
  6. dad-bud

dad-bud

[​IMG]
    Ladies of the night at a bar on Main Street in Los Angeles, Calif., circa 1949

7. dad-bud

dad-bud

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Women's Christian Temperance Union lecturing on evils of liquor in a bar in Pasadena, 1947

8. dad-bud

dad-bud

[​IMG]
    .............................. build it, and they will come.

9. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

For Gods sake don't pop the clutch!

10. My Dad's baby his Chevy Corvair with my Mom inside this was 1965 [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

flyin-t and hotrd32 like this.
  11. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Mischief - really hated seeing the cherry '55 Chevy and the '50 and '51 Studebakers getting destroyed.

Convair 240 - this one went through several owners (including windshield wiper maker Trico) after it left Western; it ended up with a bank (repoed?) and was scrapped in Miami in 1978.
    Convair 340 - around when this photo was taken ('64) it belly-landed in a field in Saugus, CA due to fuel starvation. No injuries, and it was repaired, re-engined with turboprops, and still flies today with Honeywell International as a test aircraft.

Actually it was almost head-on - look closely and you can see the '50 Ford's left turn signal bezel embedded in the Porsche's left front fender, and that's probably the white Ford's left front fender in the foreground.

old digger likes this.
  12. I'm having trouble with you're explanation of the turn signal/fender.

13. Can't make this stuff up!

Sent from my LG-LS980 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. flyboy89

flyboy89
    from So. Cal.

Looks like Anaheim Stadium, Anaheim, CA about 1965. The Los Angeles Angels moved there in 1966. I lived in Anaheim at the time. We went to ground breaking for the stadium in '64. I was 11 years old. Also went to opening day 1966. The first game played at the new stadium. Its been remodeled a few times over the years. BTW, there is almost no open land around the stadium now. Only the stadium and the RR tracks on the right are the same.

dad-bud likes this.
  15. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

And State College Boulevard beyond the stadium. I used to practice driving in the stadium lots before I got my license...

16. dad-bud

dad-bud

Yeah, I drove through the intersection where it happened in August last year.
    My understanding is that the driver of the Ford didn't see Dean's car because he had the sun in his eyes late in the afternoon. Unfortunately, James Dean is just as dead whether it was an accident, carelessness or whatever.
    I'd never seen those photos of the Porsche after the crash and was just remarking on the extent of the damage to the occupant compartment which the pics revealed.
    Like Notgettingrich, I can't really see the turn signal embedded in the LF fender, but thanks a lot for your input.
    Cheers.

17. swi66

swi66

18. swi66

swi66

19. Unbelievable that James Dean 'survived' the impact.

"James Dean had been extricated from the Spyder's mangled cockpit, his left foot having been crushed between the clutch and brake pedal. Dean was severely injured as he took the brunt of the crash, with a broken neck and several internal and external injuries. Nelson witnessed an unconscious and dying Dean being placed into an ambulance, and a barely conscious Wütherich, who had been thrown from the Spyder, lying on the shoulder of the road next to the wrecked Porsche. Dean and Wütherich were taken in the same ambulance to the Paso Robles War Memorial Hospital, 28 miles (45 km) away. Dean was pronounced dead on arrival at 6:20pm"

Bowtie Coupe and dad-bud like this.
  20. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

21. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

22. Deepwater

Deepwater
    from Tennessee

Smoking cigarette while refueling - prepare for flaming fireball of death in 5..4..3..2..1..

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Chrisbcritter and chevy57dude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.