Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Just looked it up in "The best of Hot Rod". The Crosley was featured on the cover in Jan '53. It was jointly owned and built by Dick Hubbard and Al Palamides. The Crosley ran three different Ford flathead V8s in different classes. It hit a top speed of 106.26 mph in the 1/4 mile at Kingdon airstrip.
    This would be a fabulous car to re-create. A Crosley body wouldn't be expensive either!
    Ed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    brad2v, Stogy, Sancho and 1 other person like this.
  3. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Here's a more radical version. Built by Howard Johansen and appeared in Hot Rod October 1951.

Attached Files:

4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Here's another picture.

Attached Files:

Stogy, Sancho and volvobrynk like this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ed those Crosleys are all cool but The Black Widow is one we really want to see. Quite frankly they are all diverse in their own way. I've re-upped the Black Widow thread Austinrod started...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443487849.865420.jpg

RoadRamblers_SanDiego-2.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and patmanta like this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Still tired? Then reclaim it.

Blues4U, patmanta and Stogy like this.
  7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Passion doesn't die. Dreams NEVER die. Ideas live for freakin' EVER! All you have to do is put down the gawd damn remote or step away from the key board.......... and stop whining! Tired? Then reclaim what got you into this shit!

ratrodrodder and billybones like this.
  8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Still bitchin'? Bring it back.

OLLIN and volvobrynk like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suppose the Title of the thread is implying a negative situation when in fact it is about a celebration of the wide array of types of hotrods/customs in betweens and showing them all together in a virtual cruise or show. Kinda like the ones everyone likes but don't take a picture of it. No bashing just period fun. There is really not a lot of whining actually quite the opposite.
    Hey I saw that film before...it is an awesome one...Thanks. Beautiful resolution on it too.
    You are right I should get my ass out to the garage and get going on some of the things that need doing.
    The HAMB is a fun place what can I say.

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

;) Look in the last entry in my album. After I do my T Bucket, I'm going head first into "Traditional".

When some snotty nosed kid asks you what a Hot Rod WAS. Show 'em what it IS.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tfever what are you looking at for your next project base. Traditional is good...lots of potential candidates.
    Snotty nosed...hope not to meet to many of them. So far things have been pretty positive.
    Many say why don't you do this and do that but I just say this is the way I like it...most are in awe or its a big thumbs up.
    Hey I'm still doing the walk myself.
    If the interest is there they or I will ask or look...Thanks for posting the vids...;)

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm considering a pre-war roadster. Maybe banger motivated. It's going to be long term project.

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

tfever that would be a great transition from the T_bucket. Definitely a cabin change. They are very narrow however...plenty of room in the average parking spot for these. Lots of stuff to inspire in threads here and I know I don't have to tell you that.
    JB posted (page 14 post # 399) a real nice one in this thread Long term is kinda my style too.
    Good luck on your future project.
    I am very happy with my 29. I had never been in or driven a car of this vintage. It was well...different but good different.
    I have my plate full for a good long time with this hotrod and am having fun with all the challenges.

14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These are really cool Ed makem bigger. They're sorta like a Willys...Strip bound is where they belong...

16. Another Crosley that was posted in the altered thread:
    [​IMG]

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe....... just maybe. This topic is being "over thought". All it is, is people enjoying working, playing and building Hot Rods. No two are EVER alike. Each person has a vision and a platform to execute it. How the hell is it homogenized? How the hell could it be? Really?

wicarnut likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your right tfever no two are ever alike but many are pretty darn close. I do believe this thread is a virtual cruise across the spectrum of creative genius from primitive to outlandish to pretty much perfectly executed keeping within the guidelines of the HAMB itself.
    Again not a negative criticism against the similar...but just to have a balanced showcasing of all.
    All have influenced where we are today.
    Many have attributes that are unpopular with the masses. But this thread is a place to present all once again for conversation and observation.
    There is only so much that has been done but there is a lot to been seen, discussed and rediscovered. There is a mass of individuals here who were there and saw these vehicles being posted back in the day. Many have shared. Many cannot as they are no longer. Many vehicles are being newly created. Most are enjoying the thread some are not. You are entitled to your opinion.
    I have felt my ride alone in the masses of vehicles. Isolated in a sea of the others. That in itself is a reality which varies depending on many factors.
    Whether you hate the thread or not I hope you find some or all of the vehicles and stories relevant. No over thought here...just a celebration of the history.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I don't think it's that simple. It has to do with the limited scope of this site, period correct, traditional, and "in the spirit of" …… It has to do with what there was the most of then. It has to do with what there is the most of now. It has to do with what you have. It has to do with what you can afford. There is no denying that anyone building a hot rod today will have a lot easier time finding parts and support for a Ford late T early A or Duce. Anyone buying after market parts will have a tougher time building a Dodge, Chevy, or ….. unless they make it look like a Ford. Ford Bangers and Flathead V8s compete today in protected events and classes while other brands are thrown together or banned out right. So if the protected is the standard and is the only thing the average guy can find parts for what do you expect most cars will look like? That said, if every Duce roadster in existence is a black highboy with a flathead, '40 dash, 3 on the tree, big and littles, painted wheels with baby moons & beauty rings they are still right. Just because they are all the same may support their correctness. Homogenized? But it doesn't mean the others are wrong. Different just to be different is another topic all together.

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Six Ball...Back in the day and believe me I wasn't there but it seemed that there was a mix of all brands of vehicles competing (all were welcome) at the historic venues we showcase here.
    There may of course have been exclusive events such as there is today ie all Ford this and that.
    I am surprised that as you say they won't let say a Dodge or Whippit in the show...Hey if its all Ford I won't even go as theres a Chevy drivetrain in mine. I respect that.
    Yes material for Hotrods/Customs is limited today but many original cars are still available in many brands.
    I happen to like variety, some don't and it was there back then and if its within the guidelines it has a place here...and a lot of it is darned interesting and as inspirational as the others.
    I think different to be different could be debated...the theme of most of these rides here it was just shear mechanical minds running wild and having a good time.
    We if mechanically inclined are capable of many things.
    Personally I have tried to choose material with some level of taste and like everyone it is based on an opinion but I feel many here are on similar pages, really enjoying topics and vehicles discussed and shared.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  22. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

23. verde742

verde742

Have you got a line on where to find Crosley tudor bodies?

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A new addition to this Black Widow...I found an old HAMB thread with a project car quite reminiscent of the Widow. Did it get completed and was it inspired by The Black Widow.

010108LarryWoodsGarageTour367-vi.jpg
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/steve-davis.206652/ uite

ratrodrodder, volvobrynk and verde742 like this.
  25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Stogy, Please don't get me wrong I really am enjoying this thread. I like the premise of looking at something a little different yet still in the ball park. My Duce comment was just like if all women looked like Marilyn Monroe they would not be less beautiful just ordinary. You would be hard pressed to make changes that would be an improvement. Anything changed just to be different might spoil it all. Enter Sophia Loren a little different but still within the rules. When my '26 Chevy roadster is done there will be nothing Ford/Marilyn about it and very few after market pieces. Heavy early Spurgin-Givanine influence but not clone.
    [​IMG]

bigheadbaxter, Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Six Ball...that puts things a little more in perspective.
    Please do share your roadster with us when you feel it is warranted.
    I do consider that type of hotrod to be equal to the finest. Shiny does not mean above all and it rivals the others in the looks department.
    Another thing many unknowns are equal in beauty to Marilyn. That adds the interest to the situation. Its in the eye of the beholder.
    Hey I see Dad near Givanine on the post are you related? Another thing I never noticed...the front wheels on that Chevy have one a wire and the other a solid. Learn a new thing everyday.

27. I think it has wires on both sides. You can see the spinner on it and near the top you can see the highlight from the top of the frame rail through the spokes.

Stogy likes this.
  28. I think Sancho is right, here's a pic probably taken the same day showing the wire wheel on the front. Hard to see the wires because of the dark car and ground shadows.

Mick
    spurgingiovanine4.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. Both front wheels were wire wheels, not sure if they are Budd or Buffalo. The Axle was a mid to late 20s Chrysler axle near identical in appearance to a Franklin axle.

better scans of the photos
    SCAN0095.jpg SCAN0096.jpg