Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Here we go again. Vintage pics ONLY PLEASE! This thread WILL be closed soon if this continues.

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  2. Keep it trad, dudes. So Gary doesn't pop a vein.

Guiseppe, loudbang and Gabe Fernando like this.
  3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  4. rooman

rooman

Doug, he was not paying attention and responded positively when I sent him a PM informing him about the error of his ways. Typical of people jumping into Facebook threads and looking stupid because of not scrolling up and seeing earlier posts, I think that some people (RustyL for instance) are just not taking the time to see what this thread is really all about and jivin jer has just been a bit too casual about checking his stuff before posting. I don't think that the moderators will close the thread if we keep making the effort to set these guys straight and keep the thread as pure as possible.

Roo

Mazooma1 likes this.
  5. Not too swift there.
    It isn't about me, it's about keeping the thread alive.
    But ya know, it isn't worth it.
    So GOODBYE, it was fun while it lasted, but it isn't anymore.

6. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Gary, your input is much too important for you to quit now. You are after all under contract to provide photos on a regular hourly basis. Really don't get upset about this just carry on your involvement is too important and I for one appreciate the efforts.

Bowtie Coupe and hendelec like this.
  7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

8. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Affirmed
    Gary, If I said purdy please would you stay and play.
    We will get this, a bump in the road every now and then is going to happen, like Roo said, it's just the nature of the beast.
    People arrive here in various forms of transportation. Some, a flash in the pan, others become well established and hopefully "get it".
    I won't believe this is something the staff finds grounds to close such a popular thread, but we still need to "police our own".

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Bowtie Coupe and Mazooma1 like this.
  10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Gary....we need you here and we appreciate your hard work.
    Don't let my bitching bug you.
    Stick around, I know I will. This is a great thread and a great group. Let's stick together and keep it alive.
    I'm not going away, that's for sure. I love this stuff and like Roo said, there wasn't anything deliberate.
    I make mistakes every day but Life's still fun and so is old time drag racing.
    I'm sure as hell not going to watch the "evening news". Nobody wants to see that crap.
    :)

11. No dice kids! I'll be at the Days Gone By thread. I'll save my drag pics for myself, this is just not worth the effort. Douchebag posters just will not stop, they know the deal, they just don't care. I'm very sick of being cast as some bad guy because I wanted to keep the thread real, not surrender to kids that weren't there and don't get it or care.
    thanks for the kind words, but it really has gotten to be a huge bore. Carry on guys!

12. thehazguy

thehazguy

13. thehazguy

thehazguy

14. thehazguy

thehazguy

15. thehazguy

thehazguy

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We will keep an eye out for your pictures in days gone by
    I have a bunch that I need to scan and put in that one.

17. thehazguy

thehazguy

18. loudbang

loudbang

Trying again :confused:

Chris “The Greek” Karamesines is strapped into his fuel dragster, which is sitting atop the in-ground rollers. US 30 strip.

:(curses foiled again snidley who knew that rollers were still in use in the 70's

Here, a single-engine dragster is facing off against Norbert Locke’s twin-flathead– powered dragster at Oswego.

twin flatty dragster.jpg

Lyons, one is Chris “The Greek” Karamesines

lions dragsters.jpg

Pat Bilbow made a big impact on the regional drag racing scene by developing a “store bought” dragster chassis, built in his shop, Lyndwood Welding, in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. These new dragster frames, known as the Eliminator, were a huge hit in the Northeast, giving racers an alternative to the homemade dragsters of the era. (Photo by Dick Donofrio, Courtesy www.doverdragstrip.com)

Pat Bilbow.jpg

Al Maynard (1957 Chevy) and Harry Luzader (1932 Ford) staged this classic battle for Nationals E/Gas class honors. Despite Maynard's holeshot, Luzader took the win. Both cars featured a Hilborn-injected small-block and a four-speed transmission.

sportsman-racers-al-maynard-harry-luzader.jpg

Local run-offs for class trophies were always hotly contested. Here Dave Boyd (right) faces Larry Crawford (far lane) for B/Gas trophy at Miami's Masters Field in 1964. Boyd's 1934 Ford five-window had a Chevy, while Crawford's 1934 three-window used a 389 Pontiac.

sportsman-racers-dave-boyd-larry-crawford.jpg

Toledo, Ohio's Dick Titsworth ran this clean 1948 Anglia in the 1960s, first as a Gasser and sometimes as an Altered. His Seaport Automotive was a northern Ohio force for race engines and machine work. He later ran alcohol Funny Cars with equal success.

sportsman-racers-dick-titsworth-1948-anglia.jpg

Burkholder brothers Pete and Hairy

Burkholder Pete and Hairy.jpg

South Jersey-based Seabrook Farms is a major frozen foods supplier. Owner Charlie Seabrook's weekend hobby was this E/A powered by an Aston-Martin DOHC DB-6 engine. Since the car was originally motivated by a GMC 6, Charlie kept the Jersey Jimmy name. Seabrook won class at the Nationals and set E/A records. He's seen here at Maple Grove, Pennsylvania, in 1975.

sportsman-racers-charlie-seabrook.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    thehazguy, enloe, Offset and 2 others like this.
  19. Some of the guys on my thread were hinting this was my dad in Jim Miles the Magic Muffler car[​IMG] on my thread. I wasn't to sure about that My dad told me he did a wheely in a race car one time with no details so I thought he was kidding around because I never seen a pic of it. Well I zoomed in and saw the purple helmet and showed my mom the pic tonight she said oh yeah thats him and confirmed it.. That is crazy what a pic is all I can say !,

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  20. loudbang

loudbang

The Coleman-Taylor Automatic Transmissions dragster is seen here blazing the tires at Lake Land Dragway. The blown and injected small-block Chevy motivated the short-wheelbase dragster during the early 1960's.

Anybody know if just the name was automatic transmission or did it have an auto trans?

coleman dragster.jpg

thehazguy, Bowtie Coupe and wingnutz like this.
  21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Date check The Greek RED.

22. Here is a mystery dragster . This is the only car my dad raced in Indy in 1965 . I thought it was 68 I was wrong . My mom doesn't remember why he was wearing white helmet that day and not his purple one . Does anyone have and history on this dragster? As you can tell my dad didn't write information on the back of photos.[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  23. Michelle:
    It could be the "Hippo & Poindexter", owned by Hippo Brammer & Tom Poindexter based on the cowl lettering and a Goggle search.

24. rooman

rooman

Eddie Buck is currently restoring a Hippo and Poindexter fueller. Check his Facebook page.

Roo

Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  25. Roo you must be friends with him . I cant see any pictures unless I didn't scroll down far enough. It depends how he has his security settings. Does he have a business page? If he is in the line of business of restoring cars .

26. A ways back, 296ardun posted this. Maybe he has some info.

Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  27. I have another mystery photo. I sure wish my dad wrote on the back of photos. Can anybody tell me history on this dragster? [​IMG]

28. ttwomotor

ttwomotor
    from Illinois

The "Golden Greek" at Cordova, Illinois
    9-9-2-7o.jpg

29. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Looks like your Dad never liked to miss a great photo opportunity.

30. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy