Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical quality low cost paint?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Terry davis, Mar 6, 2016.

1. LOL I am using old Lacquer that I bought cheap.

But the Nason paint that DuPont has in its lower price line of paints is good stuff. One thong to remember on the Nason paint is that it takes more coats for a colored paint than the chromabase. I don't know about the black I have just heard people say that the color does not cover as well, but it is durable as hell.

Another thought id black is not what one is after is tractor paint, the paint on the Raven's roadster is Ford gray and it is as nice a paint job as one could ask for. This paint has been on here for about 8 years and countless miles, never waxed just kept clean.

[​IMG]

2. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

I paint semi's daily at work, we use Nason, covers well ( 2 coats), at home I usually use Limco, same thing, covers well and half the price of the "A" brand stuff

3. Check out my paint job on my build page. I bought PPG single stage paint and used a summit brand epoxie primer and there high build primer. Tons of primer on sand off during blocking.
    Turned out great I think. Not a show car, but a great looking drive paint job all for right at a grand.

4. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

LIMCO single stage Black is also a good / reasonably priced product that nets good results.

VR&C.

da34guy likes this.
  5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I remember this one thong in Hawaii and it was outstanding.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

There is a store nearby called Bridgeport Equipment. They sell work clothes, guns and tractors. They sell tractor paint......There is often times close out or whatever on sale. If it will paint and hold up on a tractor it will work for a driver.....

russellmn likes this.
  7. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

This is what I used on my chassis and suspension parts. Looks nice and would consider on the body if in a pinch.

8. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

I am reading some of the post on here the OP said he only wants to paint his T once, but most of the products mentioned epically black will not last 3 years tops before it starts the fading process. If I was a product basher I would show panels of paint sprayed by a lot of brands mentioned on this post.
    Terry do not get tractor paint it is a long oil enamel, has a shine but the way the structure of the film is, it is not resistant to UV light, And starts breaking down after 6 months. I make long oil enamels and I sell a shit ton of new cat yellow massey red etc etc but never use that on your car. Not only will it not last, its hard to respray because enamel will wrinkle when solvent from another paint is applied on top of it.
    I am not going to bash product lines but I will give you a list of newer paint companies that we have tested and performed well (even though they are my competitors)

Matrix
    Metalux
    ProSpray
    GenRock
    AutoBahn
    Kapci
    Wanda (just the color)
    Color By Design
    Automotive Art

Now some of you will give other small companies that I didn't mention. But if they don't disperse pigment they are not a full line coatings manufacture. And the op wants to know about the quality of the color. Hope this helps.

9. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Paint Guru: Excellent info. Everyone wants affordable , but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for! The local suppliers in my area have gotten rid of their top lines because of cost and replaced it with thier companies lower cost 3 in 1 product line. So I have to drive to Madison [ 40 miles away} when I want the good stuff. But the final result is worth it Larry

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Paint Guru: Just read through your whole website. Holy smokes! All I can say is next time I need paint, I'm ordering from you!

keywestjack and crminal like this.
  11. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

TCP Global X3

12. ONEBADMK8

ONEBADMK8
    from NJ

I shot my 2003 Expedition in Rustolem 7777 Satin Black. Came out good, year old now and looks awesome. blkexpy-1.jpg blkexpy-2.jpg

Attached Files:

13. waldo53

waldo53
    from ID

What about Valspar enamel? I've never used it but I've seen pictures of cars painted with it and they all looked good, and supposed to be very durable.

14. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

That's actually my wifes retail store!

15. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Enamel just cant hold up to what urethanes and polyurethane products can. Also there are different types of enamel- you have short oil, medium oil and long oil, you also have water based enamel, then different activators do certain things to the film to give the end user certain things they require. It really cost about the same amount of money for enamel resin vs urethane resin. And the pigment plays a huge role in the longevity of the product. Automotive pigment (non fading) is very expensive. A fading red pigment is about$2-$5 lbs and about 2-4 lbs goes into a gallon. Non fading pigment can be as high as $24/lbs and require the same pigment load. So consider what you are getting if it cost in the $20-$45 range. There are so many factors with enamel to, so even though they require a activator, its actually less confusing to stay with the urethanes and polyurethane plus you get a chemical resistant uv resistant film that will last 10+ years with little to no care or effort in maintaining it.

whtbaron likes this.
  16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I don't care who runs it....The info contained there is a must-read for anyone who is going to attempt a paint job. Wish I had it when I did my '50 Ford.

snopeks garage and slack like this.
  17. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Well if any of you are local to Georgia, I am putting on a free paint clinic around the Macon GA area April 12th. I will go over all the stuff thats on the site.

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

Odd then that it holds up on tractors for decades. Farmers aren't painting their tractors every couple years. Would I use it on a show car? No.....on a driver? Absolutely, it's relatively inexpensive and it indeed does hold up.

19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used Summit and Restoration Shop both did the job. Good Luck

20. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Yes tractors are repainted every couple of years its the tractors that cost over $100k. a $3,000 tractor is not going to get a $3,000 paint job. Also I don't sell any tractor manufacture directly, however I sell about 600 gallons of cat yellow a month, 400 of massey red, over 800 gallons combined of john deere yellow, green and jd industrial yellow. The paint has to be doing something for me to be selling that much every month.
    Go to Richie Brothers auction and see any of their paint departments and you will see tractors as far as you can see, getting paint jobs. Or call any respectable body shop and ask them if tractor enamel would hold up on a daily driver.

21. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Where about near Macon Guru

22. slammed

slammed

The blackest black paint. 'Blue black'. Not the brownish or grey but black-black. Who or what is the mix for such a finish?

23. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

Ft Valley we are putting it on at McLeod Automotive.

Gary Collins likes this.
  24. wvenfield

wvenfield

Others here have said it does.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/painting-a-truck-with-tractor-paint.508280/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tractor-paint-pics.365824/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tractor-supply-paint.209606/

Will you get the low upkeep paint job that $1000 will get you? No.

If you park it in the corner of your garage and not touch it for 20 years will it look as good as the expensive paint job? No.

Will you get a cheap long lasting paint job if you maintain it (like people had to do for years to keep their cars looking good)? yes.

Are you lazy and have the money to pay $3000-$5000 for a paint job that will look good without any maintenance? Don't do it.

Do you only have $100, are willing to put in the prep work and maintain it over the years? It works. I see where I had commented in the one post in 2009.....(hard to believe it's been that long). The engine I painted still looks good. It's aged to a darker green but that was always the case in the past.

Do you want an orange engine block that will still be nearly the same orange in 10 years? Don't do it. Do you care that it ages to a darker orange over time? If not, go for it. I'll be painting my frame soon. I'll be doing it with paint from the tractor supply store. I'm not doing a show restoration.....I'm building a car I can take to the track and run hard........do I care if in 10 years it's aged along with the car? No.

crminal likes this.
  25. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

There is no mix, its a certain black pigment that has to be processed a certain way for that effect. I have some but only available in basecoat right now its around $140 gallon its high but there is a lot of time put in for the blue undertone blacks. Other paint companies make as well, but I am not sure what their cost are. We outsource it ourselves because it takes a certain mill to do the pigment grind. But a reddish undertone black next to a blue black will make the blue black look milky. It takes that appearance under human eye and a spectrometer (color eye) the camera wants you to add white to the red undertone black to match the blue undertone black. Confused?? lol

26. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Painted my last 32 truck with Krylon satin black. No runs, no streaks, no dry spots. Looked good enough to get in R&C. My finger did get a little tired, I'll use a handle next time. Trucks now cruising in England.

mkebaird likes this.
  27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

For what its worth, I've talked with Guru a LOT about painting my project. I've asked him about many different lines and brands and feel that he has shot me straight on it all.
    Enough so that he's whipping up the single stage for my truck and shipping it to me. His prices and knowledge have been hard to beat.
    Check out the poly black car shown on his website, thatd be a finish id be proud of

28. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. g bagwell

g bagwell
    from ct usa

I sprayed my 36 hot rod flatz. Not bad, paint is kinda watery. I think it was like $60. for a gallon

30. Paint Guru

Paint Guru
    from Bowdon, GA

I know there is no convincing you with your tractor paint, and I manufacture coatings and can see first hand what coatings do over a range of time, but I sell high quality urethanes with hardener for $145 so for $50 difference and you get from someone who supports the industry, not corporate crap and takes pride in the quality of their products they produce and will not recommend junk just to get a sale, that to me is worth the difference.
    But here is my question if it was your money and you were to pay a warranty claim for a paint losing its luster, would you still recommend a long oil tractor enamel? I put my money on the line everyday with my paint, and feel confident doing it. I wouldn't with a enamel and I dont.