Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gary Essman

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Michelle Essman Carls, Mar 3, 2016.

1. GREAT SHOTS!!! Thanks Michelle.:D

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. Thanks . I checked all the pics we have now . Didn't see a picture of the engine anywhere pictures of my Dad's engine and nothing in the Hot Rod magazine that magazine i have has him racing a dragster in it. Yeah like my mom said she wasn't sure it could be in a different magazine from along time ago who knows it wasn't in any we had .

Sent from my SM-G900P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Thank You fot taking the time to share these great photos with us all!

Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  4. JimmyD3234

JimmyD3234
    from PA

cool pics thanks for that :cool:

5. Here is some more cars my dad raced . He started racing when he was 16 they use to race on the road in front of Forest Lawn Cemetery near the Hollywood Hills . [​IMG]

6. I have been trying to figure out if that is a kid or a adult on the roof in the background and trying to figure out what he is doing . I think this San Fernando track but not exactly sure. [​IMG]

7. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Michelle, Fantastic pictures of Your Father's journey! He has some Incredible History.. Thanx for taking the time , For us All to enjoy.. Cheer's

8. Michelle - thank you for seeking out the H.A.M.B. and posting the pix. Photos that mean so much to the folks here that would otherwise have never been seen. Priceless.

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

10. That's right you were the one that posted
    That is right you were the one that posted this engine that you said was the engine from that day when my Dad had that situation with the Magic Muffler . It looks like a newer motor maybe it's the one in the remake car because my husband looked at the picture of the engine you posted and zoomed in there is a date on a part which is past 1965 and my husband also said it would be very hard or even at all to put the pistons back in that engine from that day and the engine looks alumininum .

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Picture with my Dad's dragster with my Mom and I and our dog Yogi just like his racing helmet Yogi [​IMG]

12. This is one of the dragsters my Dad raced this car was owned by my Dad's really good friend my Uncle Frank ( Frank Sandoval ) and his brothers . I believe the sponser on the car is US Speed Shop . * update found out by going through drag list and a pic I found he was part owner of this dragster[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  13. Rockerhead

Rockerhead
    Member Emeritus

Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

[​IMG]
    This one? I think there was another shot of the same incident taken by Steve Reyes from behind?

15. Wow this is awesome. I can't see the helmet in this picture he wore purple helmet with a Yogi Bear on it . Do you think this is him driving it ? If I show my Mom if she was there I would think she would remember it

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  16. a big thanks to your mom for the support in your fathers passion and to you - Michelle in your effort - which should be a passion as well - in sharing the history of your father's racing.....think he has a smile on his face as we all say wow what a life....thanks for posting !

Lawrence

17. Okay I see the Jim Miles Black Magic my Dad drove the purple Magic Muffler Fiat. From what I understand he drove the Black Magic for a extremely short time may have only test run it before another driver took over. I can't see the helmet real good to see if it is him I don't think that is him not sure

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  18. Thank you . He had a lot of passion for the sport after leaving the sport .. The company he ended up working for sponsored some lower class dragsters for him in the 90's. . He wasn't driving them just sponsoring a young man

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Some dedication there.

chryslerfan55 and falcongeorge like this.
  20. Now that is a OUTSTANDING Picture! Thanks Michelle.

21. Here is a dragster my Dad raced I don't know anything about . In fact this is the first time I have seen the picture until now it was in a box of photos my Mom found . My Mom is in the background pregnant with me [​IMG]

22. Wow...You guys are right this is my Dad i even bought a magnifying glass so I could see the helmet up close my reading glasses that I have I couldn't see that close up it is his helmet !! I knew he was crazy but this has confirmed it !

chryslerfan55 and saltflats like this.
  23. chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. I don't know why he doesn't have a picture of this . He just told me one time he did a wheely in a race car before but he never went into detail. I asked him how many cars have you raced alot was my answer. I only remember bits and pieces when he was racing I remember more going to the races after he stopped and watching his friends race or helping them in the pits

chryslerfan55 and saltflats like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Michelle
    Are you saying your dad drove for Warren, Coburn and Miller, or competed against them?
    I can't articulate appropriately enough, so I won't even try, but.........the WCM car/team you show is one of the most iconic group of guys in drag racing history.
    These guys were called the "Ridge Route Terrors".
    You should Google them, quite a historic bunch.

26. I know he would of loved to seen a picture of this .

27. DDDenny . He drove this dragster my
    Mom is in the background pregnant. I have never seen the picture before that I remember it was in a box with old pictures