Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1950 Ford Shoebox Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sevenevez, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Looking good! Has the lettering in the custom trim always been body color, or is that recent? I'd never noticed before, but I like it!

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Always sensational pics !

3. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks man. was actually such an easy shot to do.
    thanks big creep!
    ahh, good eye. when i got my car that "custom" word was actually red. i immediately changed it to white. then after years i finally got a custom paint code enamel pen and painted it to match a couple weeks ago.
    Much abliged Buddy

4. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Also, just want to thank all you guys that chime in and help to give me the confidence and the information i need to get through a lot of these issues and projects. Your help is always appreciated!

5. dvsdrummer

dvsdrummer

Welp gotta give prob to cars done well

6. I was wondering how you'd pulled that off, masking that to get it to look that good would have been a real pain. I might have to copy that on mine.

7. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Yeah, i use either PaintScratch.com and also AutomotiveTouchup.com to order my custom colors and paint codes and they both offer things like aerosol spray paint cans and touch up pens in any color you can think of

8. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Calling all my helpful OG's
    I need help. So, i have a Muncie 4-speed and my shift gate has just been terrible over the last couple years. It used to go into the H shape nice and solid. But it's more like a stick in mashed potatoes now. Mainly 1st and 2nd are very hard to find.
    I finally jacked it up on stands and tightened all the linkage and it got about 10% better. But then i got up in the tunnel with a flashlight and see some clean silver threads with a hole where it seems a there should be a bolt!? am i missing a bolt there? Right where the lever connects. If i am missing one, how do i find out exactly which size bolt and threads it might need. Or is that normal? (please excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge)
    Pic

[​IMG]

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It's been a while since I looked at a Muncie , but it sure as hell looks like a bolt is missing to me . At least this will get you a bump, if nothing else :)

10. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

yeah, looks like they all have 2. and my top one is gone. if i look on the web, the blowapart and this other image show two.

i don't even know if my actual shifter is a hurst or what.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

now IF i have a Hurst shifter. i might be on to something with these 2 images i found

[​IMG]

12. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Sorry for wasting time. I think i just answered all my questions. It was wrapped in electrical tape, once i removed that, it said Hurst. And yes i am missing the top bolt that holds the stiffening plate. But to access it i hope i dont have to drop the tranny. I would rather cut a bigger whole in my floorboard to get at it. It's right there at the floor.

13. Pete - does it wiggle at that point when you shift? If the bottom bolt is tight enough, you might only get a small deflection there, you might have other issues going on.

14. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

yeah, when i wiggle and move it i can see the stiffener plate and the handle has a good amount of play Right where that bolt should be. It would surely be an easy fix. I think when i had my suspension done they forgot to put that back in. Seems that was right around the time it started having the issue.

15. Well hope it is that easy! I would consider it lucky if it is! When I had my muncie, I was able to unbolt the transmission mount and pick up on the back half of the transmission just enough to get to that bolt from the top.

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The bolt probably just fell out. They would've had no reason whatsoever to get into your shifter to do the suspension. Probably just a coincidence.
    I AM jealous of the fact that you've got a "man pedal" in your Shoebox (working right or not) . I put mine together with a slushbox (cause it's what I had) , and now it's gonna be tougher for me to tear it all apart again to add a stick tranny back in :(

17. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

yeah, i called Hurst just to verify it is a 3/8in 16thread 2inch bolt that i can pick up at a Local Hardware store. It is VERY tight in there. I might be able to get it in, but getting a wrench in there is a different story. Hope to tackle it this weekend. I'm not saying it will cure my problem. I would be happy as heck if it does. There's a good amount of sloppy play in there without the top bolt on the stiffener plate though. Who knows. I appreciate your comments

haha, are you saying you have an automatic transmission, Buddy? Nothing wrong with that :)
    well, they did make a new tunnel so they could have. regardless, I am not blaming anyone. My buddy did a great job with everything they did on suspension. Very clean and professional work and i would trust him again and again. It could just be wear tear and vibrations that ran the bolt out. The sad part is how long i let it go without even getting in there to inspect. Hope to get at it this weekend. Got a couple more ideas on small things to change on it too

49Flatty likes this.
  18. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Yea, my ride is rockin' the slushbox :( . It will eventually get a man pedal though. I have a T-5 tranny and I'm looking to gather the remaining bits to eventually install it in the Penny Pincher . Then I'll be a happy camper.

I didn't realize they made a new tunnel for ya. Maybe they had the shifter loose after all ... ;) . Stuff happens . At least it's a pretty normal bolt , should be able to get that at Lowe's or whatever. Might be tight getting it in there, but I bet that'll fix it .

19. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Thanks guys for chiming in. Today i finally got that dayum bolt in. .65 cent bolt! fixed my issue. I'm shifting great again. Fixed my door sag and my window regulator and threw in a new clock to match my VHX gauges

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ron Funkhouser and Icufltrn like this.
  20. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm glad the issue was resolved easily and cheaply.

Thanks for the additional drool-inducing pics. You sure know how to take 'em .

21. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Man that's gotta be the cheapest fix for a big issue i have ever had. and thank you

22. Great build thread.... great looking car...

23. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

thanks man, you too! Love your Shoebox

24. JimmyH

JimmyH
    from Australia

Figure after 8 years this is a good enough reason to make a first post. LOVE your car man. I have a Toyota Crown (love the VIP scene) but ultimately would love to own a Shoebox. Pity I live in Australia and cars are so damn expensive! One day! Keep up the great work man!

sevenevez likes this.
  25. I gave my son-in-law a nice 50 coupe. We are going to follow your thread for the build. Thanks so much for your help. And you have one of the best shoeboxes ever. Great Talent and Car! Thanks again Ron...

26. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

ahh, yes i know what a Crown is. my other (daily driver) car is a GS400, so i know that style very well too. thanks for the kind words. This is probably blasphemy for me to post here :) , but here is my Lexus
    [​IMG]

Wow! i really appreciate that. There are a lot of shoeboxes out there so it means a lot. That was very cool for you to buy one for your son-in-law. My true blood Dad never bought me anything like that! haha

27. harry sticht

harry sticht

nice!!! wheels/tires look great!

28. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Thanks, Harry!

29. sevenevez

sevenevez
    from Yuma, AZ

Hope everybody has been doing well. Sorry i have been so busy this year i haven't been in the Forum for quite awhile

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Icufltrn and RebelAlliance like this.
  30. I really like the color in the second and next-to-the-last pictures, that darker green looks really nice. I'd noticed you haven't been on here much lately, but it's all good as long you make up for it with pictures! How's it driving?