Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 CHEVY SOUTHEAST GASSERS BUILD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zak Hall, May 11, 2015.

1. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Looking great Zak. Cant wait to see it in April. Dont sweat the paint that can come later. Russ

Zak Hall likes this.
  2. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Well it took all weekend, but we got the engine built. Oval port 396, ready for C/Gas. My dad, crew chief, car builder, and engine builder is pictured too.

Attached Files:

3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Do you know how cool it is for you and your dad to be working together on this project. That's what is going to make the Southeast Gassers the greatest group of racers on earth.

4. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Yeah I am greatful to have a father that shares his knowledge and love for cars with me, I probably don't appreciate it enough though.

kiwijeff, AHotRod and Quain Stott like this.
  5. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Engine turned out great!

Zak Hall likes this.
  6. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Thanks Gabriel!

7. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Well your pops looks old school!!

Zak Hall likes this.
  8. Thats what Im talkin about!!!! Engine looks real good. Love those valve covers.

Zak Hall likes this.
  9. A big block...and all that fiberglass, I'm seein' A/G:D. Lookin' good, man!

Zak Hall likes this.
  10. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Still a heavy car, and small ci big block haha. Just a mild oval port 396. I'm just running for fun.

hechtspeed and AHotRod like this.
  11. Bugsy48

Bugsy48

Dam, I though you already were!

Zak Hall and Quain Stott like this.
  12. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I don't think we are the greatest (glad you think so) but we are without a doubt the most dedicated when it comes to preserving gasser history. Attention to keeping everything mid 1960s correct like Zak is showing with this build will one day make us the greatest gasser show on earth.

hechtspeed, kiwijeff, AHotRod and 5 others like this.
  13. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

The era correct rules is one of the main things that drew me to the group. I also like how hands on you are, always quick to give advice or answer any question. The group can only be as good as it's leader, and luckily the SEG has a good leader.

14. I see Ron still has trouble with them big numbers! Durn county schools.

Zak Hall and Quain Stott like this.
  15. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

You got 43jr painted yet Robert?

16. I knew that was coming. Keep the good work. Proud of what you're doing. Remind Ron that Big Dog is my brother!

17. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I believe we are going to have to line you two up together at the first race to settle this, LOL. Our first Tennessee rival.

AHotRod and Zak Hall like this.
  18. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Can you share some of the frame mods required to use the late '55 Chevy truck front axle with the original front frame? I want to do this conversion to my '56 Gasser but did not realize you can retain the original front frame with the truck axle.

20. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Were gonna try to make the first test and tune the 22-24th of April at Bristol, so I can get used to the car, and get some bugs worked out. But if we don't make that, we should still make greer atleast I hope. Might be doing the first testing the night before on highway 126 but we should make it.

21. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Cool build! Love it in blue, but what do I know!!!! HRD

Zak Hall likes this.
  22. I'm in the same boat. Wasting too much time doing un-necessary, unseen things on the car. Need to be doing stuff like windows and body work. I'll use 421 Dragway.

Zak Hall likes this.
  23. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

We're not gonna be doing any body work other than mounting the fiberglass. We've gotta do the brakes and get the driveshaft made, get a clutch and pressure plate, and set up the gear, do a little wiring, and put the lexan windows in it. It's gonna be close but we have been fighting it every night.

AHotRod, mad mikey, 62hotcat and 2 others like this.
  24. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Got the door mounting figured out, and got the passenger side door mounted. Gonna wait until we get the pedals in it and stuff before we mount the drivers door. Getting excited.

Attached Files:

25. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Got the trunk mounted, the pedals bolted in with new bushings, and got the back brakes done. Working on the front brakes now, once my master cylinder, and brake line kit comes Monday, we'll plumb the brake lines and bleed the brakes. Also, the motor is ready to be set in. Gotta finish the firewall, and then by next weekend should have the motor, trans, and clutch in the car so we can set it on the ground and build a driveshaft.

Attached Files:

26. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great progress !
    Keep going !

Zak Hall likes this.
  27. Looking REALLY good Zak, go man go!

Zak Hall likes this.
  28. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Got the front brakes on today. Still waiting on the lines and master cylinder. Got it on the ground, has a pretty good stance. Gonna roll it out and clean the front frame, finish the firewall, and paint everything before we run the lines.

Attached Files:

29. Zak Hall

Zak Hall

Dad got the aluminum firewall recess made, we got it riveted it, cleaned the front frame, firewall, axle, springs, and got everything painted black, and got the motor sitting in it. Its starting to look like a racecar. Also started running brake lines. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

hechtspeed, Chucky, GrumpyEd and 10 others like this.
  30. Looking great. One thing at a time. One day soon it's finished.

Sent from my SM-G900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Zak Hall likes this.