Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This HAMB is a great place to meet like minded people. A big room full of Cool people. Thanks to you and everyone involved. Its great to revive and respect the past and equally excited moving forward...carrying on the flavored mix...

brad2v and onekoolkat1950 like this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I think it looks great!

tmfcracing likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ed first off a question about the chassis on the T. Is that Mercury frame grafted into a 32 frame rail or 32 frame rail caps...what did you do there? Whatever it is you sure made it interesting.

Ed
    I just had a look at your other projects. Phenomenal work you do over there. That pick-up in your avatar it would also be very fitting to this thread. Another masterpiece...just a little different and of course traditional as well. That is a beauty. I am sure you enjoy retracing the former craftsman's work and honing out areas requiring revamp and restore.

Your clients must be overwhelmed at the end result of the attention you give to their rides. So I ask you if possible to pick a nice shot or two to share with us with a little blurb on what was done and hey maybe some history (whats the story on it?). We like that. Thanks...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  4. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I have had several "different" hot rods in my life and also some pretty traditional '32 Fords. Luckily I have kept pictures of most all of them so I will share a couple here.
    The first one is of my soap box derby car my Dad made for me when I was 10 years old (1956). It didnt win anythng but it had style!
    The second picture is of a car called the "Land Shark" that I bought in 1982 out of a garage in Elkhart, Indiana from a widow whose husband hand-built the car from about 10 different old cars. It was on a Willys chassis, had a Studebaker V-8 engine and trans, old Buick hood, LaSalle front fenders, a 40 Ford hood turned around for the tail, and who knows what else. It was all steel and lead.
    The yellow "Coke truck" was a class project I did in 1976 as the auto shop instuctor at John Adams HS in South Bend, IN. I bought the body for $15 and didnt even know what it was (35 Dodge). We built a chassis from rectangular tube, used a Ford dropped axle, 57 Chevy rear end and had the wood shop build the bed. The BBC engine was a 427/435HP engine that someone GAVE us! When we stripped the old red paint off the cab it said "Coca Cola Bottleing" under the paint so that is how we themed it. We put the truck in a local car show and sold it at the show to finance the next years project and I never saw the truck again.
    The last truck is my own personal hot rod that I am working on now. I built it 12 years ago and sold it when it was about 80% completed before I ever drove it. The guy that bought it was an artist in Chicago and he never did a thing with it. Last year he got sick and took the truck to a consignment auction sale and I bought it back. It was missing the hood and the grill shell (stolen)but was basicly the same. I built the truck from a $400 '29 Plymouth 4 door sedan. It is on a Model A chassis that I zee'd in the rear. The truck is channeled 6", has a 283 Chevy with a Powerglide and a Maverick rear. Grill shell is a Whippet. I should have it ready to drive by summer! I plan on leaving the exterior just like you see it but might build a new SBC with more HP!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  5. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

It's a 47 Merc frame shortened and narrowed. The rear kick up has been kicked up further and at the rear kick up the frame has been narrowed even more. Sort of like a Monte Carlo. The original outer rails with lots of lightening holes cut into them, are sandwiched inside the '32 outer rails. This means I can retain the '47 Merc identity.
    The '32 outer rails are almost deco. Only up front they're needed to connect the Shadow Rods front A crossmember. The engine cradle is a cut down and lightened '47 Merc front crossmember. The rear crossmember is a Model-T.
    There's 102 rivets holding it together and its very light but rigid.
    The T is covered here on the HAMB. It's called the Babushka T.
    I do love building these cars and have to admit to shedding a tear of two when their owners take them away. My wife now knows to expect a cranky husband for a few weeks afterwards;-)

ratrodrodder and Stogy like this.
  6. slammed

slammed

Stogy likes this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats very ingenious and innovative...it all flows together quite nicely.
    Paste a link to your thread in your post on this thread Edward. Please do promote your build threads.
    I might have missed it and heck now I've seen your car I will definitely take a look. Already visited your albums and website.
    Can you post any pics of the pickup with links to any threads if possible and do elaborate. You are one of those masters of the craft here. Thanks for sharing.

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes slammed definitely a fine grouping of automobiles. For the most part this thread has been quite interesting. Some burps and farts along the way. I am still amazed at sourcing out some of the stuff posted that there are so few pics of certain cars (dayumm). Was it that they were left to the sidelines...Cameras were not the main focus. Don't know. Survivors are cool. I really like the driven look myself while appreciating the diverse mix. The main thing is this is really a celebration and showcasing of the standalones, slightly differents and some of all the rest and that is really what it is meant to be. Oh and learning a bit too thats always good. Great work Guys n Gals...;) Thanks for sharing in the thread again and again...

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I really like this thread, and the 1950s era perfect thread, and from your post quoted above, I can't say if you are applauding the thread, or doing the same motion with only one hand aka. Both slapping back on track.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Volvo I'm hoping to just let those that have newer non HAMB related to consider not posting that stuff. Look what happened to the policecar thread...By the way I think this thread is a great thread too...;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  12. You don't see these anymore. I would do something like this, reminds me of the guard off my parent's screen door.
    doc01215320160303141836.jpg

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like what's on the front of my house.

greendoor.jpg

Jeff Norwell, Max Gearhead and Stogy like this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There was quite a bit of that kind of stuff in the late '50s early '60s about the time custom chrome tube grills showed up in the JC Whitney catalog. A lot of guys went to the hardware store and found chrome drawer knobs, expanded metal sheets, and evidently screen door protectors.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The absolute worst discovery to steer the rod and custom world off the rails for........
    Too long.

verde742 likes this.
  17. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

What the story of this?

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still searching. Sancho's right. One pic wonder with no story. :( However the text under the name reads Road Ramblers, San Diego. There may be members on board here whom can shed some light on this hotrod and post some pics..;)

tumblr_nydo7aUmQr1qc2alio1_500.jpg
    As mentioned in Sanchos HAMB link a more radical one of these :rolleyes:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DDDenny...I keep an open mind to this stuff...like everything it can be pulled off sometimes, sometimes not.
    This stuff is generally decorative. All show and no go. So much of what we do has to do with the look.
    These knobs/pulls are more involved in the custom side of things where things are already over the top to begin with. One of the reasons they may have caught on was big effect for low dollar. Already machined adornments all shiny and ready to add drama positive or negative. So many things influence others...that is life in the fast lane. Your opinion noted.
    Links related...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ob-or-drawer-pull-grills.593920/#post-6597327
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/chrome-knob-grilles-in-60s-cars.397578/#post-4328437

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    brad2v likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some More...

019-power-struggles-nationals-slingshot-modified-roadster-static-rear-lpr.jpg

1927fordttrackrdstersr102813.jpg

002.jpg

first-streamlined-dragster.jpg

tumblr_nxgpz0HLwr1qc2alio1_500.jpg

Jack_Stewart_sm.jpg
    tumblr_o26q0ebKcr1qc2alio1_1280.jpg
    pretty cools webs and all

tumblr_nuq4ldoVYz1qc2alio1_500.jpg
    unusual beast...

tumblr_nlq6epBlsb1rsmcudo1_500.jpg

tumblr_o15rw4kwa41qc2alio1_1280.jpg
    dune buggy hotrod

tumblr_o3j9s1QodF1qc2alio1_500.jpg

tumblr_o3d6i5HWNR1qc2alio1_500.jpg

tumblr_o1av9ntIjR1qc2alio1_500.jpg

tumblr_nfwv20KJpL1u3zj9do1_500.jpg

vintage-drag-racing-vintage-drag-s-gasser-s-carzz-drag-racing-racing-and-vintage_2159711_xl.jpg

Credit to Owners/Photographers
    apologies if already posted

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi corndog...looking at the photos of your vehicles reminds me a little of my own transition to now. Growing up in HAMB friendly times with that awesome period Derby car (your Dad was good...you must have felt like a winner driving that thing) then that period custom right out of the little pages and on to the seventies lots of cars in that hotrod period were like the fashion of the times kinda not so nice. Hey I had my 39 Chevy never got it done but if I did it may not have been period inspired I can guarantee. I was proud of it but doesn't wash here. Now on to today...My Bud turned me on to this site and voila...I really am inspired by the content mechanical and otherwise represented here. My likes of Hotrod/Custom have been realized. I would say it may be the same for you by looking at your truck as in you may have been HAMBfluenced...;)

25. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I remember seeing that in the "The best of Hot Rod" book. It's a Crosley Sedan.

26. That 1933 Ford "dune rides" car is from Mac's dune rides at Silver Lake sand dunes in Michigan. They still have that car on display in their museum. They now use cut down Ford Excursions. Cool museum and a fun day trip, highly recommended!

volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Edward... my search for other pics has come up dry...few blind spots I'll betcha. Like I said everyone take more pics of your cool cars...That little hotrod has some really cool attributes from that angle...and only the one pic.
    I mean back in those days there weren't random snap away cellphones that we have now.
    Popularity of the subject may have played a part too.
    Hey Edward can you share some pics of that cool period pickup you completed? Cool website by the way...showcasing an incredible skillset...;)

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Affirmed Stogy
    Yep, I'm guilty, never caught the custom bug, ten years too young I guess (61).
    I can cruise by most radical 50's customs easy enough and find plenty to enjoy.
    But.....when a classy mild custom is presented with chromes/med. whites I really warm up.
    I just have to close my eyes when the door knobs and drawer pulls come out.
    What is really hard for me to look at is a real hot rod, near perfect, then walk around the front and it looks like a hardware store just exploded nearby. Makes me a bit ill.
    But they do have a saying "an ass for every seat".
    I'll take my seat now and be good.
    Doug

verde742 likes this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your already good Doug. You like what you like, offer opinions conversation and its what makes this place what it is. When we become the stylists of the art of hotrods/customs and all in between you can appreciate how difficult it is to be a car designer.
    Making it all work is truly a challenge and some fail some don't.
    To be quite frank I never even made the pull/knob connection till quite recently. Learn a new thing everyday.
    I still look at it more as shapes to accent things. I remain open to this concept.
    I am still amazed at how long ago some of the hotrod things we do actually originated by the past pioneers of the passion.
    Thanks for being you...;)