Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 51 Shoebox build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Cool idea and very nice work! I am starting to wire my shoebox since it did not have one inch of wiring in it.

2. jamrodder

jamrodder
    from ALABAMA
    1. shoe box hambers

another great job man!

3. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks guys!
    Well,this fusebox was a sort of redo post.It just needed to be done again,i also modified the latch.Its a bit more compact than it was on version vol.1.
    I've noticed thats its a real pain in the ass to find oval shaped grommets for the fusebox.Dont know yet how to get them,i guess i'll hire a some nerd to 3D printing them for me at some point.

4. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I never would have thought of that! I would likely have found some round grommets and cut and shaped them and super glued the ends.There used to be a commercial "O" ring making kit that worked that way.We had one at work years back and it worked OK.Your method sounds a lot easier!

5. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Here in my hometown,lives a guy who is a talented pinstriper,i hired him few yrs ago to brush few stripes on my shovelheads tanks.
    But i guess he is even more talented model builder.He has built really amazing models and he uses 3d printed pieces in his models.I think i'll ask him about the printing at some point.

6. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Antti check your PMs.

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

PM's checked and answered!

8. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I mocked up the dashboard,that will help me to figure out how to modify the steering column.The assembly/disassembly game is on again,i guess i have to mock up the dashboard few times before the final assembly..
    Anyway,i noticed that i havent chopped the windshield garnish mouldings yet:

[​IMG]

So i cut them up and tig welded them back together:

[​IMG]

I guess those were the most easiest ones of the garnish mouldings to chop.
    I bought all the garnish mouldings few yrs ago and i dont remember were the center clips included in the deal,i didnt find them so they are not in the pic.
    Well,maybe they are in somewhere of my stash.

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm missing my center clips as well ... Hard as hell to find also . Noone send to have them :(

10. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

"center clips" ?

11. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yeah,there are supposed to be a clips on the center like these:

s-l1600.jpg

12. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

And apparently they're as rare as hen's teeth , LOL

13. vwdave30

vwdave30

I seen some on ebay the other day think i typed in 1950 ford

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,maybe not.I have to admit that i scored a pair of them from ebay at last night.
    I guess your best shot could be calling for Shoebox-central and ask if Chris has them.

15. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,not much progress with the build.I've been messing with the steering column.I shortened it and made a bearing chamber for the bottom of the column,but it looks like it doesnt work like i planned.So i guess its easier just to make an another chamber from plastic and make a king pin-style bushing from brass.I searched the swivel style column floor mounts,but i couldnt find a correct size mounts anywhere.Most of them were for 2" or 2 1/2 columns and Shoebox automatic columns are 2 1/8"...
    So i made my own floor mount from stainless 2" ball valves ball.It needs some finishing,polishing etc.But it looks like this at the moment:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  16. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

WOW! Thats nice! I had never thought of anything that elaborate.I am definitely going to rethink my mount.

17. Good Lord! Military aircraft quality!

18. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thanks fellas!
    Well,i guess there must been somekind of quality of that ball at some point.Its from worn out valve,that i dig out of trashcan:D
    But its not done yet,more like a project mount than ready project.

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Nice work, as usual.

20. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

21. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

22. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our coupe has never had the screen garnish clips. Always keeping an eye out for some. At least now I know more what to look for.

23. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I guess its shiny enough now:

[​IMG]

The bearing chamber idea didnt work at all,so i made the new steering column bushing from plastic and inner bushing from brass.A kind of amateur crap,but it'll work:

[​IMG]

I secured the bushing with few screws on the column and put a grease zerk on it too:

[​IMG]

And mocked it up on the car:

[​IMG]

Looks like the dual u-joint i bought,doesnt work with this setup.So i have to buy an another one.Too bad that Borgeson is moving their business to South-Carolina at the moment,so i havent seen their products available now.Hell no i am not going to buy any Chinese crap,so i guess i have to wait for awhile..

24. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Antti I made a steering box U joint once .I bought a 1\2" drive square\square snap-on universal socket and replaced the roll pins with pins made from 0-1 drill rod.It worked for years.You guys feel free to make fun of me now,but I reckon that was stronger than a lot of the ones you can buy.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  25. RMONTY

RMONTY

Steinauge,

When I was a kid, my next door neighbor was building dune buggies....or what he and his buddies called "brush buggies".....and I remember he put a rack and pinion off a Morris Minor on a Volkswagen front end and he "sacrificed" a Craftsman 1/2" drive swivel u-joint to get his steering column lined up....it lasted until he sold the thing....;)

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Those homebrewed u-joints sounds pretty wild.I am pretty sure that one of my bro's would love it,if he ever sees one.He's a vehicle inspector in here and slightly narrow-minded:D
    I guess i'll stick my plan to get the u-joint from Borgeson.I always buy US made products,if its possible.
    My way to support your economy.
    I guess that will take some time,but i am sure i'll figure out something else to do while waiting it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    mikhett likes this.
  27. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

He should see some of the stuff I have seen done on dirt track cars,likely have heart failure.

28. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

Having run sprint cars most of my life, the best I can say to that is AMEN !

29. joeoldsrocket

joeoldsrocket

Good looking project your post have teach me kool things. I just have a question.? I have a 51 vicky i put jamco a arms and disc . And fat man steering linkage. But my car didnt came with swaybar i wondering if i need one . I look on your pics havent seen one . Thanks .

30. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,my bro has told me stories how people have fixed their cars in here.I guess some cars have been close of your dirt track cars and its always inspectors fault,if their shitboxes doesnt pass the inspection..

Thanks!
    Well,my car didnt came with the sway bar neither,but i think its been there.At somepoint it was a parts car,so its not a big surprise that some of the parts are missing.But the plan is to get one.
    Is it necessary on shoeboxes?
    I dont know,but i am sure that it will make the handling better.
    Those Jamco A-arms are tubular,i am not sure does the factory sway bar work with them.
    My wild guess is that it wont work,but i think they know better at Jamco's what works with their products.