Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nance Super/Sprint Car. Spirit of 76

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meengrinch, May 11, 2015.

1. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Primed.......waiting for gloss black to be applied,maybe tomorrow image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

2. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

all clean and ready to go!

3. AmishMike

AmishMike

Love this stuff & great pictures - PLEASE keep posting.... More, More, More.
    AND THANK YOU MUCH FOR THE TIME & EFFORT PUT INTO POSTING.

4. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

Back in the 80s at Stafford Springs swap meet, there was a CocaCola car there for sale for $600. My buddy Dick, drove supers for Stu Sadler (Dr. Pepper car among them) went crazy and we almost bought it. Is that the same car?

5. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

I'm really not sure this is the same car.....this one was bought and restored but ended up being sold to someone in the Washington state area I think. I wish I had found it and bought it 'twas a nice car.

6. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

More pics.....

Attached Files:

7. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Here go the first things to get hung on the chassis...I wasn't happy with the chassis paint did not adhere as I wanted but will do.....

Attached Files:

8. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Attended the ground breaking ceremony for the New England museum of Racing yesterday. A great event well run attended by lots of early drivers,fans, and friends. This museum will be built on the grounds of New Hampshire International Speedway. Opening set for 1 year from now......can't wait......hope to see a couple of restro's in there someday......

Attached Files:

9. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I like your image board on the garage door!

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Coming along nicely.

11. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Well here's the next bunch of pics.......lot of fitting ...lot of spacing

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  12. the car is looking good It must be hard to try rebuild it as it was back in 1975. I can't wait to see it when you have it done.DLBsr

13. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Well it's starting to come together. Down on all 4wheels .....check out the brake pedal it's a beauty gotta keep.........one big problem we were facing is repairing the Fiberglas body and a real good friend of ours extended his vacation to repair it all.....Big thanks to Scott Heil....last picture is what we are shooting for

Attached Files:

grumpy32 likes this.
  14. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Looks great. I love the brake pedal, i bet it has some good stories to tell.

15. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Funny but that was the same thing I thought too......I'd love to hear some those stories.

16. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

Please keep posting, this is very interesting and nostalgic for me. As a pre-teen kid I used to wander into Jim Culberts original shop on Market St. in San Diego and watch him and his helper build his racecars. Like most young boys I asked a zillion questions and Jim would patiently answer them for a short time before very gently asking me to go home and let him get some work done. He was a great guy and life long friend of our family, miss him and my dad a lot.

17. very pleased to see the progress that has been made on the "Spirit of 76" Nance Super. I am sure it will be as good as new when you are done . DLB sr

18. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Here's a few pics of the newly installed engine.........

Attached Files:

19. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Well here is our first fitting of the body parts. After some hard work from Scott Heil Restoring the body parts from the grave..........My Scott fitted them to the car......not a easy job......Next step looks like fitting the injection tubes and making the exhaust headers ......still looking for a chevy magneto.....does not have to work .......

Attached Files:

20. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

This is what we are shooting for......

Attached Files:

21. Well I got a soft spot for old race cars and those that back in are my absolute favorites. I'll follow along for sure.

Looks like fun to me.

22. Steve call

Steve call

Jim you really make it look easy.I know you have alot of time in it but you have.
    The talent and sight to make it look beter than it looked in 1973. All our family says thanks merry christmas!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
  23. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Well it's back to work now..........WANTED. DEAD OR ALIVE. ,!! A old style magneto for a chevy. Hard to believe that guys don't have any stuffed under your benches. This is for non running restro so mag doesn't have to work. Appreciate your asking around for me.....I've been looking for quite awhile now with no luck. You can post on here or call me @ 1-978-973-6422.....will post some progress pictures this week. T/Y. Jim

24. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

25. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

image.jpg Couple of updates...

Attached Files:

grumpy32 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

How did I miss this? Who knew?

Very nice Jim. Great workmanship as always.

27. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Its getting there! Looks great!

28. got rust2

got rust2

good job, looks like some of the parts cleaned up real nice.

29. Jim; The new photos look nice.Dr. Dick was going to get in touch with me last fall so I could come down and meet with both of you but his schedule did not allow it now he is down south for a while. I'm glad Skip told you about Wally.I see you now have the Mag. If there is any thing you need call me and I will see what I can find up here. I am going to start on the original wing that Doug Gore made for us , It needs a lot of work to straighten the ribs and new skin but I would like a time frame as to when you want it. You also have to decide if you want the rear air cylinders to mount on the chassis or on the rear bird cages I had it for either way depending on where we were going to run it. Please let me know. DLB sr

30. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

As far as a time table goes I'd like to have it done in 2-3 months from now. I am thinking of having the clys. mount to the birdcages......depends on wing mount measurements...