Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrome Shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Feb 17, 2016.

1. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To do this on any scale you need permits, both to operate, and to handle and dispose of the chemicals.

And there is no EPA "crap". That is a mis-characterization, unless you consider it "crap" to disallow poisoning the drinking water supply and soil, causing untold health ramifications, for generations, due to genetic damage, and collapsing local ecosystems.

5window likes this.
  2. 5window

5window

To say nothing of the talent and time needed to get a piece ready for chroming. Really good chrome is not really expensive because of price gauging, but because of the time/skill level and setup involved. Of course, if you want chrome that looks like a car club did it, you can always find it at swap meets. Bumper **** comes to mind.

3. Yep, google 'PG&E and hexavalent chrome'....

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  4. Thanks, Crazy Steve.
    For those interested, the link to Caswell is : How To Triple Chrome Plate - YouTube
    The first 3 minutes is about shipping and safety. It was very informative and sounds like such a kit is very doable, especially for $1k for small parts, but things like bumpers, etc. would still have to be done at a real shop. I would suspect the guy in prison was selling his services and or not obeying EPA guidelines.

5. Excuse me, gimpyshotrods, San Francisco, CA.. I should have used the word "regulations" instead of "crap".

6. The killer on these home-plate kits is the power supply; when you're talking about 1 amp per square inch of applied plate, power needed can climb quickly. Theses are really designed for model makers doing fairly small parts; 24 square inches would be a emblem about 3.5" square, and that would need one car battery. Something like a headlight ring for a 7" headlight could be up to 80 square inches. If you need more, batteries can deliver it but you'll need multiples or a rectifier. Large rectifiers get very pricey very quickly....

Nickel plating can be done for much less.

7. tnich123

tnich123

Have you considered powder coating. A fraction of the cost and some shops offer powder that could get you close maybe not true chrome but nice looking.

8. 5window

5window

Good chrome isn't cheap and cheap chrome isn't good. Really good chrome is really expensive. You are going to have to decide.

tommyd likes this.
  9. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Sent email to1chrome; any others?

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  11. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I don't want to export my parts for chroming- but thanks

12. I've used them several times and have been more than pleased. The quality of the finish has been great, held up well and I think the prices were more than fair. As a matter of fact, sending good out another pile of parts to them this week. I'm told Josh doesn't work there any longer but it's still a family business.

13. Old TFFdriver

Old TFFdriver
    from California

These threads tend to get ugly but here is my opinion. Again just my opinion.

Quality Chrome is expensive no matter who does it. If possible check out the shop of your choice in person. Ask people who have used them what the out come was. If am going to invest thousands of dollars( and in most cases for large pieces it is above 1000.00 and then some) I want to be sure I get what I am paying for.
    Some say go to Mexico etc. I say if you can keep it in the US. I would recommend a plater but do not want to bashed for my choice. If you want some info on my preference for plating please ask. Like I said quality plating is NOT cheap no matter who you choose to do it.

Hope it works out for you.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, and those regulations are keeping people from killing and poisoning other people, for short-term profit.

Keep in mind, when you off-shore this work, you are likely moving that penalty to innocent people elsewhere.

5window and Old TFFdriver like this.