Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Got laid off and decided to be productive. 1931 ford rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Mar 4, 2016.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So got laid off last week. Decided to be productive. Have been doing a little body work and decided to see what the car would look like in tinted primer. So here is a before and after. Still tons of body work to be done but this gives an eye to the future of the old girl. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457104867.819566.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457104887.661287.jpg

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sure looks familiar, ever heard of Southern Fried Choppers? I know I've seen that car at the drags at Houston Motorsports.

3. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

That sucks about your job. I've been there myself more than once. The last time I got laidoff they made all of us stay for an extra 60 days to train the guys in India how to do our jobs.
    The car looks good. Keep it up!

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a bit of color can make a big difference

5. Well I like it, of course I would like it better if you would tell me what color it is. :D Green or blue?

6. Hope they paid you well for 2 months.Hate India.

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  7. I would have trained them wrong, on purpose.

8. LOL a local machine/fabrication shop offered me a plant manager position in Guadalajara back in the late '90s. I declined and mentioned to them that as much as I like Mexico and Latinos in general they really should have considered the language barrier before them moved the operation south of the border.

@stubbsrodandcustom I got so interested in the changes to the car that I completely missed you work situation. Sorry to hear that man.

9. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Actually, we were all salary so we got paid the same as we always did. However, we were still expected to do our jobs as normal as well as participate in 4 to 6 hours of online knowledge transfer meetings a day. They also told us they could terminate us if they didn't feel we were fully cooperating with the switch, which would result in us not getting our packages. I ended up working 55 - 60 hours a week the last 2 months.

10. 410merc

410merc

cool car , my dad use to say if you can't give people hope give them something to do

pumpman likes this.
  11. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

I got my pink slip on New Year's Eve., "low oil prices" So I got a little productive too. OT 69 Judge. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457209199.940539.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457209226.051459.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457209243.943292.jpg

treb11 and stubbsrodandcustom like this.
  12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Yep beaner sucks but getting tons done around the house. Have been playing with making my own new seats that have springs and think I'm on to something. It's green primer and I'm actually growing fond of this kind of mint green color.

So to further screw my auto a.d.d. Had a friend at a local speed shop contact me on his touring sedan. Hurting for money so bought it. Haven't decided to build it or sell it but cool lil car on 32 wires and a 221 flathead in there already w 3 spd.

13. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Oh yeah and a week after I painted the 31 I got rear ended in tow pig and have been having to do physical therapy to fix some stuff that hit knocked loose.

riverbud likes this.
  14. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So over a year and not much changed but got the body working somewhat normal etc. made some changes on the car. Was a daily a month or 2 last year. Worked out well. So after a lot of debate I got a set of gear drive headers. Now I can almost hear myself think sometimes. Picked up the brush and laid some lines down etc. I guess I got bored with black wheels so did them green. This was before I sewed my new top. I got a killer deal from the local interior supply on some excess material good stuff from an Audi convertible so 50 dollars for a new and foremost waterproof top. Sewed it with the wife's machine and it struggled but worked out great. Guess I decided to color a bit more outside the lines for a bit. Here are some updated pics of the lines etc. I'm not a professional and this is my first time laying down lines on a car. So don't be too harsh. Still a noob.

Attached Files:

treb11 likes this.
  15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

In other news. Pops car has turned out beautiful as hell. And we just bought mom a 56 f-100.

Attached Files:

Chucky likes this.
  16. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Note to the wise. If you ever build a frame and say nah the trans crossmember doesn't need to be removable. Punch your self in the face. I had to pull mine out and didn't want to take motor this time. So made the trans mount removable and a week of work on the trans and car later it's perfect and rolling good again. Made a new arm rest also to seal up some holes etc that bothered me. Had a tail shaft bearing get worn out and cause the yoke to dance a bit. The torque converter seal blew also and got tired of the puddles.

Attached Files:

spurgeonforge likes this.
  17. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Here is the top I made and a good shot of the rear.

Attached Files:

spurgeonforge likes this.
  18. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

19. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Nice work! Who made those wide whites? Looking good.

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  20. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Took a set of bfg radial ta and had them shaved at a local tire shop. For 20 bucks a piece to shave I came out half the cost of cooker tires. They run out perfectly and look cool too.

Babar40 likes this.
  21. SixFourClownin

SixFourClownin

22. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's great, what shop in the Houston area is that? Thanks

23. Hey buddy, I like the changes. I would normally say that the lines are a little busy for me, but they just work well on the car.

Sooooo its green, cool really easy on my old eyes.

:Cool:

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  24. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Nicks tires off Jensen dr between Parker and little York.

25. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Green like the color of the paper it took to make it. Hehe.
    Thanks brother.

26. garychurchill

garychurchill

Looks great!!! Really like that tinted primer!

27. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that primer a custom mix? I like it.