Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 18 year old first hot Rod build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Axel de Groot, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

2. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

A couple of weeks ago i got all Pistons out and then it was time to clean the old junk ;)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457080603.511280.jpg

Since i used some strong chemicals i didn't want to clean it inside My garage so i mowed it outside! The Engine was really dirty and filled with old leaves and some sticky goo....

The camshaft and valves are still in it, i think i May have to cut them out with a blowtorch..

Yesterday i converted My old Ford to 12V instead of the original 6V. I also had My first testrun, it was alot of fun going flat out in the swedish Woods with this old car!

Cheers hot rodders! :)

3. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Off course im not going to cut the camshaft but the valves and valvesprings, since i need new anyway... :)

4. Axel,

Did you try the soaking method of freeing the motior up? How bad were the pistons when they came out? That engine doesn't look that bad to me (from what I can see in the photos), and at this point I would probably just get an old drum and fill it full of diesel (or ATF and kerosene (if you can find a cheap enough source, maybe purchase some used ATF from a transmission shops used oil tank)and soak the short block in it for a coup!e of weeks. You might be able to save yourself some money on valves if you can free those up!). Good looking Model A, makes mine look like a junkyard refugee!
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

The Pistons looked really bad when they came out, kind of "burned out".
    I filled the cylinders and the rest of the Engine with some chemicals

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  6. Axle, what chemicals did you try? You need to actually submerge it to get the best results, even a fresh engine isn't 100% liquid tight. Another thought is have you seen any of the articles on here about home made rust removal tanks? We did the electrolysis one when we were restoring my buddies '69 Olds Cutlass S, and it worked really well. I'll have to do a search to get the exact details, but the basics are a large plastic trash can (big enough to contain whatever you de-rusting), a cheap battery charger, a particular kind of laundry detergent, and some scrap steel to use as an anode. You submerge the part to be de-rusted in a water and detergent mix, hook one side of the battery charger to the part, the other to the anode, and apply current for a day or so, part comes out clean as a whistle (proverbially speaking, there is some drum where heavy rust was removed, but it pretty much just wipes away. Works pretty well for maybe $50.00 bucks investment (we bought a lightly used battery charger off Craigslist to keep costs down, and I recommend it, because if you do a whole car restoration with it, it will be junk by the time your done. It worked great for all kinds of things, we even did front fenders in it (one half at a time since that's all that would fit in the can). The anode placement is semi important, it needs to be in close proximity to the area your trying to de-rust, so you might have to get a little creative there, maybe some little fingers that extend down into the ports? You could bolt them to the block as long as you a!so insulate them from the block to prevent a short circuit (think little scrap wood blocks or something, and make sure the bolts aren't a ground path as well.

7. I can't seem to link to it from this damn Kindle, but search 'Electrolysis tubs' on here for more details.

8. Looks like a fun project!

9. khead47

khead47

10. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Hey guys! Sorry for the bad update...
    Im in need of some help. I Would like to now wich year My hydraulic brakes are from. Not Sure if they are 39-41 or 42-48...
    Could someone here help me identify My brakes?

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

12. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Petejoe, Thank you! I can now find out what i have. A bit awkward not knowing what Parts My car have ;)

13. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Very cool project. I'd keep the banger and get some speed parts for it and build it up. Doesn't take too much and I think it would be cheaper.
    As far as your English goes don't worry about it, because hot rod is the universal language spoken here.

14. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

BrandonB, yes i Will keep the banger in for at least a year! Since it takes so much work getting a flathead V8 in it.

I love banger-powered hot rods, they are the coolest.
    So maybe a Riley intake with Some hot carburetors and a Lion speed head Would be nice ;)

15. Arominus

Arominus

I'd use the vintage edelbrock intake, twin 2-bbls should make her run out real nice.

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

Very Kool Project !!! Welcome to the "Car Crazy " hobby. The passion/ obsession will last a life time, the people are great ! ENJOY !

17. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I used to work with an Emergency Room Physician named Bert De Groot, his brother Jerry was an OB-GYN Physician. His partner, when he was in private practice, was another Physician named Den Daulk (spelling ?). Anyway, he used to call Bert "klootzak", but Bert did't know the meaning; however, the Dutch nurse did, and they always laughed about it at Bert's expense. Anyway, you know far more English than I "Scandinavian". Welcome to HAMBVILLE! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

18. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Had some carburetor/fuel line problems the other day, the Engine didn't get any fuel. I thought i had fixed it so i went for a testrun.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457945580.397218.jpg

Turned out the car didn't run perfect, so i had to tow My car home...
    Man how can a 86 year old car not work properly? ;)

19. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Not Sure if anyone still follows My build thread but it's time to update it now.

I finally got hold of some 16" wires. Just the expensive Tires left...
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459536108.205651.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. The wheels look great. Remember that there are several hubcaps from 1932-35 that will fit. The ones for the 4 cylinder cars just have a ford script. They make them smooth for hot rods and the V8 caps changed style several times. Also remember that if you run wire wheels on early Ford hydraulic brake drums you need adapters. The lug nut pattern is the same but the wire wheels need to be supported at two levels or they will eventually crack around the lug nuts. See: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/40-ford-wheels-on-a-model-a.750368/#post-8330045 . These spacers are available from many suppliers such as MT Car Products: http://www.mtcarproducts.com/productsgrid.html .

Charlie Stephens

21. hasty

hasty

Looks like you found a great car to work with

22. The welding on those backing plates and spindles are a bunch of ugly but they are still functional. My recommendation is to run them while you work on other things, like the flathead, and keep your eye open for good deals on parts that you will need to upgrade. My experience is that if you need something right now you will pay more than if you can wait a bit and make a score.

The only Swedish I know is "ya eskedal." All I ever needed.

23. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Awesome project . . . jealous over here.

When I was 18 there was a guy down the street who I helped do some hot rod work since he was older and couldn't get under the dash/car/trunk anymore and I begged him to sell me the 255 flathead which he never did.

Can't wait to see some more pictures

24. Ritz Rats

Ritz Rats

Hi Axel,
    I´m living in Gothenburg. Last year I but some power into my 4banger. I´m running with a cam made in Sweden with so high cams that it´s split in to two part to be able to assembly it. The company that make this is located near Jönköping, the company name is AGAP, and Reine is the guy to talk with. During my rebuilding of the four banger I got in contact with some other guys in Sweden that have part, konwledge etc. So if you will go for a real 4banger power I have some contcat.
    BR Mikael

25. I have heard of that cam but have never seen any data on it. Do they have a web site?

Charlie Stephens

26. Ritz Rats

Ritz Rats

www.agap.se
    This guy make camshaft for your engine, you can get more or less wath you want, and he is a real good engineer. Have work as a mortor designer at Husqvaran in Sweden, an old famoues motorcycel manufature for cross and off road. Look at his web side and send him a mail with your questions.

27. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Hey Mikael! I recognize your car from both a-bombers and dustbowl blues. Will i be seeing you at the dustbowl blues this year?
    Thanks for the tip about that camshaft :)

28. You are doing it right! I love the look. Will be following.

29. Hey Axel, welcome and great satart!
    I like to see young people who get what
    we are all about!

30. Ritz Rats

Ritz Rats

Hi Axel, yes my plan is to go there again, hope for better weather..... see you