Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 Custom 300 rust bucket... A journey back to the road

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by SoulProprietor, Mar 1, 2016.

?
  1. Glass it for now...metal patch later

11 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Metal repair is the only way

116 vote(s)
    84.1%
  3. Glass it and forget it

11 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Interesting out of the ordinary project. Good luck with it. I recently got wind of a '59 Ford, that was owned by my friend's neighbor. He claims it has been sitting since 1965. In Floriduh, that can be a scary thing. I may try and be the middleman, for the family. Will let all of you know, after I see it.
    Subscribed.

JT

2. SoulProprietor

SoulProprietor

Thanks JJ. I'm getting up bright and early to continue working and will have some better pictures of the linkage. I snapped one a few days ago when i was trying to figure it out...not sure if it shows enough image.jpg its a pushrod type of linkage but I'm almost positive something is missing. My brother in law has a different type of linkage.... For what it's worth the choke is free and operating properly even though it needs some cleaning... On that in the morning... Again thank you all for your help and support... Also thanks for following JT... Do you know if that is a 2 or 4 dr?

3. I have my factory linkage in my trunk, I'll have to roll it outside on Saturday to be able to access the trunk, will take a picture of what I have.

It may be a good idea to get it up and running, 'glass the roof holes over for now. Keep an eye out for another car and swap your parts over to that. I've done that a few times in the past.

4. Supposedly a 4 door with continental kit. Going to try and go look at it next week.

5. SoulProprietor

SoulProprietor

im beginning to believe it may be a spring on the carb that I'm missing... Some sort of return. I don't get much feedback from the carb itself... Looking for a carb diagram

6. Got a manual? I got mine on eBay for around $34 and a great investment.

Torkwrench and SoulProprietor like this.
  7. SoulProprietor

SoulProprietor

Been looking at em... Which one did you go for? I was looking to order one

8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

You appear to be missing the throttle return spring.Any local auto parts store should have a generic return spring that will work.I am glad to hear it is a manual trans car.Old automatic transmissions can be problematic.

SoulProprietor likes this.
  9. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

This is the perfect candidate for a radical custom. Who's gonna care if you "ruin" a 4-door '59 Ford.

I say go for it!

10. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

These aren't necessarily radical, but should provide some inspiration, nonetheless.

Attached Files:

11. SoulProprietor likes this.
  12. In 1965, when I was 5, my uncle Albie had a white '59 Ranchero that he used to haul his motorcycles to the races with. I've liked them since then. You gotta do metal. One: we all need to learn to weld sometime (or learn to buy rust free cars LOL). Two: some of this metal is under a work load. Make it structurally sound. Three: Do it once, do it right. Here are photos of my favorite '59s at Goodguys. 2015 Goodguys +Guitars 032.JPG 2015 Goodguys +Guitars 029.JPG GoodGuys 2014, Fairgrounds cruise night, Nan, Dawn\'s bass 058.JPG GoodGuys 2014, Fairgrounds cruise night, Nan, Dawn\'s bass 059.JPG

lewk, Moondog13, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  13. SoulProprietor

SoulProprietor

Ya know, I like the way you think Peanut... I was wondering what a louvered hood would look like... Maybe lowered a bit... I've never done anything radical before but I really appreciate a custom job...59IMPALER, those are some lookers... even if they are 4drs. There's just something about the flow of the cars...Bob I was actually looking at the same manual on a CD. I think I'll just go ahead and buy it. I'm totally willing to put in the work to do this thing right with some guidance... That's why I'm here :) thanks for the input!

14. slv63

slv63

Let's see some more overall photos of the beast

15. I sort of went off the deep end with mine and have more than a few bucks into the build. I learned a ton along the way and had some good people on board to help. All new front end, front coils, shocks all around, gas tank, disc conversion, hydraulic clutch, aluminum radiator, 400 HP motor and so on. I'm at the 17 month mark right now.
    221-023.JPG

16. Precisely:)

17. That red '59 is KILLER. One of the best scallop jobs ever. I would definitely call that sectioned one "Radical". Not sure it was an improvement. though.

Cooon, Peanut 1959 and SoulProprietor like this.
  18. SoulProprietor

SoulProprietor

I'm going for it... With a little custom flare along the way... Stay tuned :-D

Rui, michael knight and Peanut 1959 like this.
  19. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Good for you. Subscribed!

20. SoulProprietor

SoulProprietor

Thinking about giving her a set of rear suicide doors... High gloss black paint... Maybe a few louvers in the hood... Or an offset hood scoop perhaps... Then again the dreaming part is easy. I started removing interior to get a good look at those floor pans... I've either got it bad or someone packed potato chips and newspaper under the carpet. More pics on the way

21. I was lucky, someone had stripped everything off the floor of my car decades ago. That jute padding is a big moisture trap.

22. SoulProprietor

SoulProprietor

My carpet had been replaced I would say within the last 10 years. They actually had done a decent restore job at one time... Some things were done a little cheap though. All my window felts and such are in excellent shape.

23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

24. SoulProprietor

SoulProprietor

Awesome thread Peanut, thank you. I feel you on that jute padding Bob... It never dries... I'm afraid what my toe boards look like... Haven't gotten to em yet. I spent my time today trying to start the old 223... Progress was made, but no start. My starter pinion is jamming and locking up the engine. Without the starter in, I can turn it over by hand all day long... With it in, I only get one and a half revolutions.. I also have a little wiring to take care of at the ignition switch... Looks like somebody got a little crazy with some wiring... I did find a schematic though. Not much to it... hopeully I'll get that worked out in quick fashion.

25. SoulProprietor

SoulProprietor

Back again with some photos that aren't for the squeamish....as you can see, rocker is finished. Floor pans are a real basket case... Toe boards surprisingly ok... So if you build a car from the bottom up, do you start with rockers or floor pans? image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

26. What carb is it?

27. Fish or cut bait? Hard to say since there's a lot of rust to deal with. The toe boards look pretty good though. It would be a good idea to tackle both at the same time to get it out of the way.

28. SoulProprietor

SoulProprietor

I hear that! I found em... Turns out if you specify Edsel instead of Ford for the same parts at some places, they are cheaper for the same part... Which is fine by me. I'm about to go shopping.

Rui, I don't know which model but it's a Holley 1barrel image.jpg

29. Looks like a 1904.
    Attached are the exploded views for the Holleys. I can also send you other holley stuff and manuals but you'd have to provide an email. Large files.
    Have fun and good luck.

Attached Files:

30. I have also searched Edsel parts and come up with results. Nice trick to pick up.