Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Lakes pictures. P.R.C.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by woodiemike, Sep 19, 2014.

1. That's a neat plaque I haven't seen one with the scta on it. Was Larry a member or just a lucky guy to find it somewhere here's my grampas plaque this is from 1947. This will soon be on the back of my roadster injoying the wind once again. image.jpg

2. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to hear from ya Bruce. Sounds like you are making some good progress on your car. Glad to hear it. Wouldn't mind if you post some pictures to see what you have going on. The Trog coming to the West Coast sounds really great. Defiantly going to see if I can make it. Since it's going to be in your area, do you know where they would be setting up? By the pier, down by Pier Ave, or where? Keep in touch.

3. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting plaque. The two I have and the one Bruce has from his Grandfather do not have the SCTA. Somebody out there has to know why? Different years, etc., etc. So come on guys, school me. Thank you in advance.

Stogy likes this.
  4. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

Woodiemike
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting the great pictures from your families involvement from the early days of hotrodding. This pictorial documentation of this slice of American life is very special. I have a Model A that belonged to a member of the RPM club in San Francisco. The club was pre WWII and pictures and information seem to be all but lost and forgotten. We are very lucky to have you and the others who share what they have.

Stogy likes this.
  5. Brujo29

Brujo29

Being a Bay Area native,I would LOVE to see some shots of the piece of SF history!

Stogy likes this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see the old photos and read about the old stories. My dad was in charge of the Glendale Western Auto Store auto repair from '37 to the war. Had a Craeger 29 roadster, chop top, etc. I have a few photos from Muroc. The roadster in my avitar put my son and I in the 200 mph club using a 12 Port GMC and a lot of nitro. Still running it at El Mirage with a stock head. Thanks for the photos.....JD

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  7. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I can't say for sure, but I have seen other images of our PRC plaque artwork with SCTA on but in a different font-the ones on that plaque appear to be casting letters that a foundry can purchase at a pattern supply, so that's my take on that one. Mike, Bruce's, Mine and our PRC club plaques look all similar w/o any SCTA designation. The PRC though was a SCTA Club as of Oct 45 into the early 50's.

Stogy likes this.
  8. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello V8RPU;
    You and jimmy six are very welcome. Hopefully you have enjoyed, and maybe even found some inspiration! It has been my pleasure to post and share what I have been left. I can only hope that it will continue to help and inspire all that enjoy it. And I hope that by doing so, it has, and will inspire others to do the same. Enjoy and thank you for the comment.

Stogy likes this.
  9. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey how's it going Kevin? Good to hear from you. Sounds like as good an explanation as any. Maybe someone else can give us some info??

Stogy likes this.
  10. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

All is well Mike, I should be at the GNRS, but I was working on my 34. Will see if I feel like making out a lil later.
    It's also nice to see a new add to your thread.
    Let me know if you're at the show over the weekend and we'll meet up. It was quite something seeing another version of the plaque.

11. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be there Saturday. Would really like to meet up. I sent you my number on PM.

12. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hey mike just wanted to share a sneak peak picture gonna put motor and trans in this weekend. Also found the other picture on the 40s period correct hot rods thread posted by jimmy b. I sent it to my grandpa and he said it is him and a guy named ray morisette. I have p.m. Jimmy b to see if he had anymore pictures of him but have had no response. Fingers crossed he has other ones. This is the greatest treasure hunt ever. Please p.m. With you number again I would like to call you if you don't mind. Thanks again

Stogy and Jimmy B like this.
  13. Hey mike do you have hotrod mag dec. 1949. If so can you send me pictures of the write up on how to narrow 32 brake and clutch pedal box. Iv been told they did an article about it in the dec.1949 hotrod mag I can find it on internet. Thanks for all your help. This thread should live on the front page of hamb forever.

Jet96 likes this.
  14. @paintslinger805 I just sent a PM with a link to the article you mentioned above.

Stogy likes this.
  15. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the help Jimmy! I have two from 1949, but not December. As always...you are a wealth of information!

Stogy and Stovebolt like this.
  16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I've loved every second reading this post. On the subject of Little Cogs I was thinking that maybe the lower the number of the gear ratio is the higher the gear, thus the name. Thanks to everyone that posted on here.

Stogy likes this.
  17. Great thread. It took a minute to read it all and take in all the cool photos! Thank you to all who shared history. I got a little smarter.

Stogy likes this.
  18. Hendee

Hendee

Just spent some of my day going through this incredible thread. Thank Mike for sharing all those incredible photos. Inspirational? There's only about a dozen cars I'd love to recreate and enjoy. Seemed appropriate to start off 2017 by bring in this thread back to the top. I agree with many comments here that this thread is required reading for all.

Tom

Stogy and oj like this.
  19. KKrod

KKrod

X2 this is a great thread.

Stogy likes this.
  20. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love revisiting this outstanding thread, thanks again Mike!
    And love this gaggle of ladies checking out the cool T (or maybe they were checking out Wilmer and his camera!)
    upload_2017-1-2_9-59-16.png

Lil'Alb, Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just want to say thank you to Hendee, KKrod, and BrerHair for the shout out. It's very satisfying to see that my post is still around, and especially satisfying that people still get inspiration from it. As you know this is just what I was hoping for in doing the thread. If it helps, or inspires anyone, I feel it has served it's purpose. And as I have said, a lot of other people have made this thread what it is today. I thank all who have contributed in any way!! This is why it is so important for all of us to share whatever we have no matter how small we feel it is. This is what will carry on this great hobby. That being said; at my Brothers for Christmas and he had found a couple more pictures, and a newspaper article that I will share with you all. This is "NOT" how you want to get your picture in the newspaper.
    Everybody be safe and have a great New Year.

IMG_1481.JPG IMG_1482.JPG Scan0002.jpg Scan0001.jpg

63fdsnr, Lil'Alb, woodz and 5 others like this.
  22. Hey mike,
    Awesome pictures do you know the owners of the model a and the car out at the lakes. I'm going to see my grandpa and take him the the gnrs and I am going to show him the newspaper clip about the racers to see if he can remember that day. It would be awesome if he does and if he can remember them being alright and if they went back to a souped up hotrod. Thanks for sharing. Bruce

23. image.jpg I see an auburn dash and a 39 style shift knob transmission. Also looks like a bob lee hard/soft canvas top that lifts off and don't fold back. What a bitchin model a. Mike is that also at your dad's house in Pasadena?? Maybe your dad's or his brothers car? I know your dad had a model t, did he have an A too?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  24. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Thanks to all who contributed your photos. knowledge and memories, I've really enjoyed all 24 pages of this !

Stogy likes this.
  25. such a great bundle of our rodding history, appreciate the effort on all who have participated and contributed
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

Stogy likes this.
  26. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey good to hear from ya Bruce! Looks like you are doing great progress on HyperSonic!! I will also be going to the GNRS so will be sure to look you up. Hope you will have Gramps in tow? The Model A in question apparently belong to a guy named George LaRue. This was identified by Dom Montgomery [rockerhead]. And yes the picture was taken at my Dad's house in Pasadena. The car at El Mirage was my Dad's. He also had a Model A that was his driver.

scan0011.jpg
    Bruce...can you ask your Grandpa if this is him standing by the car talking to my Dad? Seems I've seen him wear a similar hat in other pictures.

scan0083.jpg

We think this may be George LaRue. Same car in back of my Dad's house.

scan0085.jpg

Same car. Notice the Sidewinders plaque.

scan0117.jpg

Dad's Model A with my Sister.

scan0084.jpg

Another view of that Auburn dash for ya Bruce. Anyway hope to see you soon, give Gramps my regards.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    63fdsnr, Lil'Alb, Ranchero59 and 4 others like this.
  27. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

No disrespect Mike cause your a hero here but that's, HyperSonic.
    I think that's Elmer in my opinion and the hat is also what made me think this before I even read that is what you thought.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  28. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are ABSOLUTLY right Shine! I stand corrected! Make the Hypersonic!!! I better go in and change it before the HAMB police catch on. Thanks Shine!

Stogy and Runnin shine like this.
  29. Lol. Hypersoniccccccccccc
    I will show him and see what he says mike. That's funny Wyatt. Grandpa wanted to go faster than supersonic and that's why he wrote hypersonic on his car. I wish I knew what it was like to hear about the air/space race on the old A.m. Radio back in the late forties.

volvobrynk and Stogy like this.
  30. KKrod

KKrod

That Bob Lee top is awesome. I think I have a new favorite roadster.

Stogy and Jet96 like this.