Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 29 Phaeton Pick Up Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roadster1929, Dec 3, 2015.

1. My newest project ( for my wife) I've been into stock Model A's and 32 Fords for over 30 years. Then I built a traditional roadster about 6 years ago. I used a combination of Model A and 32 parts. We really enjoy driving that car and use it a lot!
    Then this past October I made a mistake according to my wife, and went to The Race of Gentlemen..........and so starts my next project...........I went into the barn and started to look what I have and figured out that I have enough parts to piece this thing together.
    I'm starting with a Model A frame, front axle and rear end. A 34 B Motor and trans. A 29 Phaeton front half from Montana, along with a Model A pick up box. I haven't seen this done too many times before, I do know that it was common years ago, turning a car into a pick up. I thought it would be kinda cool and different. It's kinda fun to work on something where I don't have to worry about chipping paint!

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, sko_ford and kiwijeff like this.
  2. badshifter

badshifter

Looks like you've got a great start to this one.

3. And a nice shop to create in.

4. bct

bct

Definitely seen more T touring cut and converted. The odd A too. Fun to watch , keep us posted.

5. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I can't possibly see how going to TROG could be a mistake :) Good luck on the build, will be watching.
    What are your plans for the 34 B Banger??

6. No big plans, I've got a duel intake with 81's that might go on it but other than that the rest will be stock. Picked up some more parts today, and pulled a large mouse nest from gas tank! Progress.

7. Making progress!!
    I've got the wood in the box a week ago. I stained the new oak with a vinegar & steel wool process, very easy to do . I think it turned out pretty good, it gave the new wood the old worn look I was after. I assembled the body and set it on the frame, for some more inspiration. I will probably take a couple of inches out of the windshield, to give it more of the hot rod look.
    They say it's winter in MI. We haven't seen it yet so I've been able to work out in the barn without heat but..........they say it may be coming this week. That means my work on this will probably slow down a bit.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, waxhead and ROCKER77 like this.
  8. ELD

ELD

Awesome build, I love Phaetons but, just a heads up they get a lot of submissions and pick-up's and sedan's have to really stand out and be special and blow them away to get selected to race. .They want more home built roadsters, belly tankers, Gow Jobs, one seaters, etc

9. brady1929

brady1929

10. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Progress is being made in the last couple of weeks! B een working on the brakes, new wheel cylinders and brake pads. I hope to finish that up this week . The next thing is wheels and tires. been leaning towards the 35 16" wire wheels with 600's on the front and 750's on the back. Might still have to adjust spring height once it's set on the ground. I'm really digging the old chrome front backing plates with way too many holes drilled in it!! But I think they fit the program. I've mocked up my head light bar with two possibilities, not sure which one to go with, looking for some opinions. I've got both doors, going to use the original inners only, and going to order up some new skins and get rid of the bondo on the drivers door.
    I've got a good friend here in town who can patina my new door skins to look like the rest of the body. Getting pretty excited about getting her on the road this spring!!
    Let me know your opinions on those headlights!

11. A little inspiration, 1940's style;
    Sailor\'s Fargo 4-port.jpg

Apenaut, mgtstumpy, bct and 4 others like this.
  12. I love that picture! Thanks for sharing, been searching for one like that. I know that this was done with old phaetons in the day, in fact mine was turned into a pickup years ago. The back of the seat was all banged up from many loads tossed in the box. Just Turning it back to what it once was but with a different purpose.

brad2v and gwhite like this.
  13. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

Looks good. I like where you are heading

Bobby

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even though I don't have them on my roadster, I can't help but like the one of the right. Those deeper buckets are very popular and used quite often today simply they look so freakin' good, and for that reason alone I could run them. I just haven't found a set to replace my baby Deuces on the roadster.

15. I'm positive I have another picture or two somewhere of an A phaeton turned pickup. This was very common with the T tourings, although most of those were for farm use...

That pic is one of my favorites because it shows a high-zoot Fargo OHV head with 3 carbs and a body that was sourced from what was available; 28 phaeton front half and an early '26 pickup bed...really typifies the early-mid 40's function over form style.

I think yours will be killer with that B motor (hope you'll do a dual downdraft setup and split manifold or header), and moderate rubber rake....you might want to consider going 6.00's on front and 6.50's or 7.00's on the rear - seems like most of the early-to-mid 40's rods used that combo...the 5.00-5.25 fronts & 7.50 rears didn't show up much 'til 47-48.

Will be following with much interest!

16. Holy crap, and you're doing this from the land of wooden shoes, windmills, and dikes! Much respect; always amazed at the zeal for true-to-form traditional hot rod builders in lands where parts are virtually unobtainable...wish our North American brethren would take note and be so inspired.

brad2v likes this.
  17. Not to be an ass but I think he is in Holland, Michigan if I am not mistaken???

Great build!

barrnone50, mgtstumpy and gwhite like this.
  18. Holy crap! I'm from Holland MI. Although we do have wooden shoes, tulips and windmills we do not have any dikes.
    When I put Holland in my avitar, I never even think of the Netherlands.......just my little ol Holland MI where there are plenty of rusty Model A parts ! Along with the ever changing weather " sun burn and a blizzard all in the same week- almost"

brad2v and gwhite like this.
  19. Hahahahahaha. I was about to compliment your English too, lol. Don't I feel like a moron now :D

mgtstumpy and brad2v like this.
  20. I took the liberty of editing your location so I don't make the same mistake twice ;)

mgtstumpy likes this.
  21. Haha! Well done sir!

mgtstumpy likes this.
  23. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Attached Files:

barrnone50, biggeorge and mgtstumpy like this.
  24. I thought this project would have been done by now......but summer happened and the wife wanted a tiny house built by the pond. I didn't want to start it with gunk in the oil pan, so I got that pulled and cleaned and then she'll be ready to be fired up"..........I hope!
    The doors are a Hershey find, looking for the back seat section of a Phaeaton. I might pull the box off and bring her back to how she was born....time and parts will tell!

25. IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2240.JPG It's been a while, but I've been busy! Summer fun!!!!
    Time to get back at it, brake lines done and actually drove it around the yard.....with no brakes, A few things to work on yet, figured out the radiator leaks like a faucet ,so I need anew one of those. I have to rebuild the generator, swap the 7.50 Firestone tires off my roadster onto some 16" wires., and some sort of seat for my ass!! I rescued some 40's pleated leather off from an old Chris craft, just not sure how it's going to work out yet. Thinking..........other than that a few odds n ends should be ready for the wife to drive. Parked it next to the stocker for some fun comparison.

26. bct

bct

Thanks for the update!!!

27. IMG_2262.JPG IMG_2264.JPG IMG_2263.JPG Made some progress this past week. Picked up a needed radiator and got it installed. Won't be long and I'll be hunting for dears!!!

brad2v, barrnone50, jerseyboy and 4 others like this.
  28. D2E789F6-2986-4573-A416-244D57885D27.jpeg 717C33FA-D87F-42FD-BB2C-5182B346D0EE.jpeg E8041753-0FD1-4197-93B1-FE2D0FFD71A1.jpeg B3ED5E45-F75F-4CE0-B5D7-1295D80228FD.jpeg So I picked up something I never thought I would find, the back half to a Phaeton. Luckily it was very complete even came with some excellent rear doors. Thanks to a fellow HAMBer who had it listed here for sale. Now the fun part of taking the little bit of wood that was left using them as patterns and making new, amazing how much wood is in the back of one of these. Also cutting out some rot and welding in some repair pieces.