Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stolen? lost?1932 5 windows coupe body, keep your eyes open

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CheatersPete, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Years ago here I knew a few guys who worked for UPS (maybe 1975) and they told me that things get "lost" all the time. If they suspected something was nice in a box, it would be opened, looked at and could be redirected to an address of a 3rd party to be picked up later. That was then, before all the tracking that should be in place now.

I work with a guy, he ordered a fairly large guitar amp and it was to be delivered by the US postal service. It doesn't show. He makes all sorts of inquiries, a dead end.. no amp. Puts in a claim and he's reimbursed and buys another, had FedEx ship it. Over a year later, what shows up on his door step... the original amp.

With all the safeguards in place, stuff still falls off the radar, big and small. I have over 1000 eBay transactions under my belt, coming and going. Never had anything out and out lost, maybe a few days of delay now and then.

hipster likes this.
  2. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I had a package from Australia get lost. The address label & customs forms arrived, but the box they had been attached to wasn't with them any more. USPS couldn't find it. The shipper contacted Australia Post, who started a locate from their end. That worked, they found it, and got it returned to the owner, who then shipped it again, with much better attached labels this time. It was a very well travelled box when it finally arrived here in Chicago.

3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Really, how far away are we from a time where things can be tracked easily and inexpensively in real time, whether our jalopies or parcels, or anything else we want to keep an eye on?

4. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

That day arrived a while ago. $35 gets you real time GPS tracking of anything you can hide a box the size of a deck of cards in.

http://www.amazon.com/Coban-Real-ti...?ie=UTF8&qid=1456597729&sr=8-1&keywords=tk103

hipster and Atwater Mike like this.
  5. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Exactly, while it's not "the" answer - it's certainly a low cost addition to the tool box. It's a no brainer going forward on expensive items the way I see it. The shippers should offer it automatically even if we know who is really paying for it.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I sure hope is gets found. I just don't understand how a crate from the state of Virginia was shipped to LA only to go from LA to Europe. New Jersey has several docks and Vintage cars and parts ship in and out every day. Bob

hipster and PunkAssGearhead88 like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I hope it gets found and delivered. With that crate being pretty well sealed from prying eyes I'd think that unless it did get damaged in a wreck the crate is sitting in some warehouse missing it's shipping label or hidden behind a bunch of other crates.
    I'd still think that the insurance investigator(s) should be able to follow the paper trail until it ends and go from there.

If the crate was damaged, I'd think that someone somewhere on the net would be posting photos of the coupe body they bought at a freight salvage sale or found in a trailer at a wrecking yard.

8. I'm with you Bob. Was wondering the same thing, just don't sound right.

9. chrisp

chrisp

It's possible that shipping was cheaper despite having to do all those extra miles, it happens all the time.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I built a crate for a LOTUS 11 nose and a Bugatti GP car tail within the last 8 years drove them to a broker in New Jersey and they were in Europe in far less than month. Almost forgot the band organ for a HAMB member in Poland, that arrived just fine too. Bob

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    hipster likes this.
  11. Might make sense to paint the complete crate bright orange, green, purple so it stands out in the sea of crates. Some sort of GPS tracking chip would really make sense. This will probably be standard procedure in the very near future.

12. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

heartbreaking! Godluck with the recovery,I,d rather get the body back then the bucks. Johnny

13. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Thanks for all your support, keep you posted

14. your shipping co. depot is in my neck of the woods. lemme know if i can be of any help in the future.

15. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Thanks a lot,
    What I really want to do now, is stole all their truck keys, and give it back to them only if they found my body ;-)

hipster, kiwijeff and rexrogers like this.
  16. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i feel for you. this really sucks. hope for the best!

17. rjones35

rjones35

wow, that does suck. But I guess it is a pretty big world. Like everybody has said, there is a paper trail, it's just a matter of getting somebody that actually cares enough to follow it. Good luck!

18. greaser

greaser

Man, I feel your pain!
    I had a pair of J. W. Garage deuce rails misplaced during shipment (UPS) years ago. They were replaced, but I guess this happens more frequently than we care to admit.
    Keep on them Pete, I hope all turns out well!!

19. Keep on 'em, Pete - I am so sorry for you that this happened ....

20. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Not sure why but I have a feeling that this will turnout positive. At least that is my hope.

Years ago I recall reading that Chrysler lost one of Garlits dragsters in a wooden crate somewhere within their system. I do not believe in this case that the car was ever found. This one will be.

21. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Hello Everyone, little update
    Company don t want to pay, they said they have no insurance, and it will be difficult to get money from them.

And also another problem I have now, is to get a chance to find another 5w body like this one, so if anybody knows one body for sale, please let me know
    Thanks a lot to you all for your support, the HAMB is great

hipster likes this.
  22. The fact they have no insurance should be irrelevant depending on the language in your shipping contract. Any chance you could scan and post it?

Good luck. I have a feeling this isn't over.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

UPS in my estimation is the worst shipper you can use. Most expensive and the longest time in shipping. Pretty sad when the U.S. Postal Service is a better option.

24. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Even if the shippers say they have no insurance, contact the insurance ombudsman for the state the company are based in. I was advised to to this by a fellow hamber when the shippers lost the trunk lid for my 36 coupe and they were messing me about. Amazing how quickly things got settled when I informed the company that I contacted the insurance ombudsman and gave them a case file number....try it....it's free and the ombudsman seems to have more powers than you might think.....good luck....Bob in Scotland.

hipster, kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. One last comment. Do not accept any shipping refund from the transport company until all avenues are exhausted on recovery or reimbursement for the lost item.

slack and hipster like this.
  26. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I recommend you contact the Attorney General of the state where the shipper is a registered business. Tell them your story and document it with the help of the seller. I have had great luck getting payment back from slacker companies using this approach. Most have online forms that can be filled out which makes the process easy. Good luck.

hipster likes this.
  27. Eddy-One

Eddy-One
    from Germany

Hi Pete, is the box from treated wood?
    When it comes to Europe and the stamp is missing it will be sorted out by the customs office......
    only as an idea....

krbstr likes this.
  28. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Hi all, good news!
    I should be fully refund by the end of March

Bad news id, they have no clue where the crate is... and therefore, I do not have a body anymore, If by anychance you know one for sale, please send me a PM

Thanks to all

hipster likes this.
  29. Damn shame it had not turned up, because it's sure as shit, somewhere.

It's good that you will be reimbursed, but that don't cover your time spent, and the grief this has caused.

slack likes this.