Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Identify this wire wheel?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rem, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Rem

Rem

Hi, tried a search but came up with nothing of help with this, so can anyone tell me the original manufacturer/application of this 16" wire wheel, please? It looks '35 Ford-ish, and came with some Ford ones but it is definitely not a regular Ford or Kelsey Hayes one. It fits the 5-on-5 1/2" Ford hubs. The centre hole is distinctive so may help with identification?
    DSCN3801s.JPG DSCN3806s.JPG DSCN3802s.JPG

2. vintage_mpg

vintage_mpg

No idea what that fits, but it's cool. Unique, for sure.

3. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Probably Chrysler product they had same bolt pattern but larger hub cap.

4. Chrysler product wire wheels had adjustable spokes....not welded.

5. Didn't one like that show up here about 7-10 weeks ago with a what is it question.Don't remember the outcome.

6. the-rodster

the-rodster

7. Never seen any wheels with the odd-shaped center hole like that. Anybody know of vehicles other than Fords and Chryslers with the 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern.

8. Rem

Rem

Thanks guys, it is the same as the one lodaddyo found - I'll have to see if he wants another one :)

I guess my search didn't work as I used 'Ford' in it . . .

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  9. Rem

Rem

Different day, different crowd - anyone else able to help?

10. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

It's a model A wheel with the nose cut off, the top of the hub of another wheel welded on, and put into a smaller rim.

11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

1935 ford wheel if its 16"

12. Looks like a mid 30s Studebaker wheel made by Budd. They had a funky center opening in them. 35 stude wheels should be 16 x 4 1/2. If that's what they are they are stupid rare.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  13. Rem

Rem

Ha, I have a hack-job a bit like that, but this is a nicely made production part, exactly the same as the one lodaddyo has in this thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/wire-wheel-id.997911/#post-11396459

Not Ford or Kelsey-Hayes

Found a discussion on them, but the pics I saw were slightly different to these.

Thanks guys, but still not identified!

14. Rem

Rem

I take back my previous reply as I now have some Model A wheels here so had a look, and can see what you mean when looking at the back of them. So was this a professional manufacturer who bought up new or used Model A wheels and fitted their own centres, spokes and rim to them? Doesn't sound like a route to making a fortune?

15. Shay replicas had wheels similar to those I think. They may have been 15" though?

16. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. 73RR

73RR

Hey Rem, have you asked the question over on the AACA forum? A tremendous amount of obscure info there.

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

The plot thickens. That 'pentastar' in the middle may have been the start of Chrysler's recent trademark! :p
    On a more serious note, I HAVE seen that star shaped hole before. Didn't recall lug pattern being 5-1/2", though.

19. That's good to know! I have a set of A wheels that are cut down to 16" and I was afraid they were Shay wheels. Thanks.

20. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

I've seen a few of these wheels in my area, they aren't too rare but are easy to miss because they look like ford wires. What I've heard is that there was a jig made and sold by a company that would help make these wheels. My dad says that my grandpa, who had a small welding business, had one. The only reason I can see for doing the extra work of cutting the nose off instead of just using the original Model A spokes is being able to use a larger hubcap.

21. Rem

Rem

Thanks Jimmy, that's shed more light on them. I guess they're another example of 'make do and mend', from a time when people didn't just run down to the mall and buy new Chinese replacements when something got a bit worn, and someone saw a way to use available resources to supply a demand!