Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Old 1930 Channeled model A hot rod roadster gets a new lease on life.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Hitchhiker, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Could always modify the earlier cross member too.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  2. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Or just run it channeled over whatever frame ya can find cheap! And save money on Brookville floors. And drop the rad down to match. Easy peazy!

volvobrynk and Hitchhiker like this.
  3. I could and I may. I've barely had the roadster for over a week, so I'm in a huge rush... I'd like to get started and I could have a roller pretty quick with a frame. But I don't need to rush myself. honesly I've got 2 28-29 pickups I need to sell. plus my pickup to play with....I've got plenty to do.

Old-Soul likes this.
  4. I'm not saying I won't mock it up like that in the future. We'll see what happens. but I'm for sure just gonna buy a 30-31 frame just in case, The only frames I have found is a $500 dollar AR and a rough 28-29 in southern Oregon for $100. I'm still looking about. I think I'd rather buy something nicer than the 3 frames I sold a week before I got this or else I will feel like a dumbass

brad2v and Old-Soul like this.
  5. Crossmember could be changed also

oliver westlund and Hitchhiker like this.
  6. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Haha that's how it always goes. Best not to sell anything at all.

RICH B likes this.
  7. That just seems like more work than I need to do. I just need to be patient and work on other things I can do.... If I buy one of the two frames I know of now, what I want will become available next week locally. haha.

I'm usually that way. but these ones were pretty rough. I'm not sad about looking for a better one.

8. That's how it always works for me also:rolleyes:.
    If you run across a frame that's good from the motor mounts forward on the super cheap let me know. I want to build a test stand out of a frame but don't want to ruin a good frame. I missed out of a AA frame that was cut just behind the motor mounts at Turlock by like 30 seconds to a Rat Rodder:(

9. oliver westlund and kiwijeff like this.
  10. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

In the grand scheme of building a car, the frame is just peanuts of the overall cost. Spend a few more hundred, get some 32 rails (repro), and build the car you really want now. If you're anything like me, once you get it running, you're not going to want to tear it apart later to redo it.

11. scoggman

scoggman

Super rad! When the top goes down the kick @$$ goes up!

12. Tires all mounted up today. Going with the doing a thing a day philosophy. I did go look at a few frames this weekend. Met some cool older hot rod building gentleman thru the grapevine and one of them has a chassis, that I might pull the trigger on. It's a restored rolling frame on 16's wires, more than i want to spend as i only need the frame, but I figure I can offset the cost with selling what I don't need off it. We'll see if i get it..

1456794273897.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. Did you mount your tires yourself, or have a shop do it? I can't seem to mount tires without scratching the edge of the lip.

14. I did it myself at a local tire shop I used to work for. I used a "euro" machine which has fancy nylon covers for everything the wheel touches.

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Ha that is not very trad! Ya need to use dish soap and old rusty pry bars and make big gouges in everything ......just kidding. I like the wheel and tire combo.

16. JJK

JJK

Hitchhiker likes this.
  17. So, today I got a PM from @31Apickup about a 32 ford frame for sale on Craigslist for $450 dollars.

I click on the link. Sure enough. Posted 4 hours ago a 32 ford frame for $450. No pictures. I email the guy, and thus begins the a long afternoon.

I get a call about 8 and I get in the truck and head out that way.

[​IMG]

And here it is....

1456902865598.jpg

Obviously not a 32.... I get there. He shows it to me, from 40 feet off I say it's not a 32. Guy doesn't know anything about. So I was about to pull out of the driveway when he asks if I want it for free. He's getting a divorce and needs it gone. So I hauled it home... not really sure why... haha

18. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Because you want to gut it for the X-members and trans mounts.

Well, if you don't, I would...

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

So what is it? 40?

Hitchhiker likes this.
  20. All things considered, nice score on the frame! What size tires are you running?

Hitchhiker likes this.
  21. Well its movin right along. I knew that it fell into good hands.

Ok so I got nuthin to say, I'm just checkin in here. ;)

Hitchhiker likes this.
  22. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

My guess is 1937-41
    Or when did they change the transmission mount?

And its cool for crossmembers!!!!

brad2v likes this.
  23. I figured someone out there wants it. Either I find them or I'll cut it up and use what I want

heavydumper likes this.
  24. 1937-1940 car frame

25. Thanks!

Tires are 5.5x16 and 7.50x16

26. Yep 1937-1940 they changed in 1941 ( had one of those awhile back too)

Definitely cool for crossmembers. It's already had the rear flattened as well. Kinda cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  27. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Ever since I was a kid, and read it in one of those old 1950's "how to build a hot rod" books, I've always figured the best way to an AV8 was to cut the center crossmember out of one those 'late model' frames and plop it into yours. And you can graft the front crossmember, with the engine mounts, into the model a one.

I'm sure there's more work in that than the old '32 K-member or F1 crossmember tricks, but ever since I was in junior high, thats the way I wanted to do it. Wish I could find that book...

volvobrynk, brad2v and Hitchhiker like this.
  28. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It didn't turn out to be a 32, but you probably saved it from being scrapped.

volvobrynk and Hitchhiker like this.
  29. totally and that is probably what will happen. I don't see myself building a 37-40. I'd just buy a complete one.

I bet I did. I still appreciate you looking out. If that was a 32 frame it would have been a hell of a deal.