Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1962 ford unibody just brought home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GearSlammer, Feb 23, 2016.

1. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

So i just brought the truck home, its pretty solid truck. No major rust outs. But i am having a problem trying to identify a few things. Maybe i can get some help from the fellow hambers. The only castings i can find on the trans are "ta4040 rfc8tp" it says fomoco on the side. And the rear end the only casting i can find is a u.s. patent- 2018188.... i noticed when i drove it home it felt like i was stuck in 2nd, maybe the rear is geared wrong for this drive train?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  2. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

I still need to knock some ugly off .

Attached Files:

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

Cool! Welcome to the club!! That should be just the typical 3 speed they put on the 223 and the Y block.

4. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Its not the o.g. drive train...im thinking its a fe 390, thats another issue im having..haha..

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Read 'Unibody'...thought, "FORD truck without a FRAME???" Heavy meds...Trying to go easy, so...Go easy on me!
    Unibody truck...grumble, grumble... sounds like our president and GM...

6. slowmotion

slowmotion

That's a pretty solid looking unit. A few hours with a scuff pad and some rattle cans of your choice would be a game changer (wheels aside). Congrats.

7. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Hope you got a deal. It's been on Craigslist for almost a year....

8. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Haha did that red front end give it away?

9. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Ok, so i think im making progress on identifying this drive train, but could use some help! Im pretty sure i have an FE big block, dont know if its a 352,360 or 390. And its attached to a 68 C6...now the rear axle is stumping me..im assuming its a dana 44 but i can not find any info on this axle...ive found some info on dana 44's with 3.73 gears..wpuld this be the cause of high rpm?

10. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Dana 44 /c30294

Attached Files:

11. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

The only stamp i found on the block was under the oil filter (EI 8F19)

Attached Files:

12. Unibody Ford Truck??? Look to my avatar....

13. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Love those econolines!

14. 53 ford

53 ford

On the back of the block just below the head is a pad. Driver side. Vin number should be stamped there.

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Looks like a nice start, though the "wrong" doors on it look funny. Check out the front cab mount and really clean the muck and goop from the kick panel vents, you'd be amazed!

And yes, unibody, why do people always think it means no frame, its got a frame but a unit-ized body. dig it

16. Nice truck. You've got a heckuva start there.
    Whats up front for suspension? CV maybe....

17. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Thats the wrong doors?

18. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Ive looked into a crown vic clip, if i stumble on one for a good price ill buy it but for now im use the existing twin i beam set up.

19. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

If you're going to run it low the CV is really wide hub-hub. Factory would have been bar axle. I did one of these a few years ago that is a really low static drop and we ran a 60" hub-hub front end to get enough clearance to turn it (M2). This assumes you are using traditional wheels and tires. Modern offsets will make up for the width of the Crown Vic front.

20. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Your front is NOT a twin I beam now, that didn't come out till 65.
    Wrong doors, yes. The unibody doors don't have the swoop in the belt line, the are a straight flowing door.

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I have a CV front on mine. Its not super low, but its very driveable and for what the clip cost back when I did it there wasn't a cheaper way to get it down and driving nice

22. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Im going to have to challenge you on that twin i beam set up, you say 65 is first year was looking to buy a 64 custom cab that had twin i beam....hmmm

23. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

64 may have been the first. But your unibody still has a solid axle, not a twin

24. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Did some one set the body on a later frame / chassis??? Twin I beam, '68 C6, Coil-overs in the rear, and what looks to be a mid 70's 360/390 FE.

That certainly looks like a Dana 44 rear cover.

You won't know the exact displacement of the FE until you physically measure bore and stroke. Casting numbers won't help you much with an FE. Pull a plug and use a straw to measure stroke. 3.5" = 352 or 360, 3.75" = 390, 406, or 427, 4" = 410 or 428. Although a 2 barrel stocker is almost guaranteed to be a 360 or 390.

25. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Oh ok...yea i looked up these doors and the 63 has them, but they dont throw off the body line so im ok with it.

26. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

I could i determine if this isnt the original frame, find a vin on the chassis?

27. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

If it has a twin-I beam front suspension, it is with out a doubt, a later chassis. Ford didn't start putting FE's in pickups until '65. Don't get too hung up on casting numbers, especially with that mismatch of components you got there. Ford casting numbers can be quite deceiving.

They did offer a Dana 44 in '62. It could be had with either 3.73 or 3.92 gears. That would cause you to run pretty high RPM's with a non-OD C6.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  28. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

No twin i beam i can confirm that. Man this is a head ache . The p.o. didnt know much about the drive train.

29. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

It is always fun buying someone else's project.....

30. the-rodster

the-rodster

Those wheels !! My eyes !!!

Nice truck.

Rich