Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods SBC Offenhauser Valve Covers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodmeister, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Hotrodmeister

Hotrodmeister
    from Virginia

I am trying to build a period correct late 1950s Small Block Chevrolet engine and wanted to know if Offenhauser made valve covers with oil fill holes/breather holes in the 1950s or are the reproductions I see that have these holes merely modern creations and not period correct? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

2. swifty

swifty

In my Weiand 1965 catalog it shows valve covers for 55-58 Chev(265-283) and 58-65 (283-327) and pics of both covers do not have any holes for oil fill or breather.

3. badshifter

badshifter

Chevy did not have the oil filler cap in the valve cover until the mid to late 60s so I doubt the aftermarket would've done it in the 50s.

4. Hotrodmeister

Hotrodmeister
    from Virginia

Thank you so much for your input! I really appreciate it. Sounds like I am better off going without the holes on the valve covers to play it safe!

5. I'm not sure, these are an old crusty pair I polished. No idea how old. Weiand V C 1.JPG Weiand V C 2.JPG

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

55- to mid 59 valve covers had staggered bolts so these would be '60 or later valve covers.

7. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Pretty sure those Weiand ones above are late 60's at the earliest.

I have some staggered hole Offy covers from around '56, no breathers.

Since the early engines had their fillers on the intake they just had a breather cap as well as road-draft tubes on the rear.

8. Hotrodmeister

Hotrodmeister
    from Virginia

Does anyone have any Offenhauser valve covers without the holes they are willing to part with? I need the ones with straight across bolt holes.

9. Jokester

Jokester

Good luck in your search for these. I looked for 2 years before I found mine. Semi rough and still had to pay 200 plus the ride.

swade41 likes this.
  10. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

12. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Are you dead set on Offy? If not Weiand and Cal Custom would be period as well. and probably much easier to come by. Weiand may re-pop the early versions still.

13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Weiand can be quite spendy as well, but are way-cool. I've not heard of modern repops of the original covers.

Cal Custom are cool too, although many back-in-the-day looked down on them as cheap, and can be a very "cost effective" alternative now. There's a nice set of 9 fin Cal Custom covers on eBay as we speak.

14. Speedway sells them brand new - if you want to look like an early motor I believe they make an adapter for the staggered to straight across bolt application- run the early covers with no holes- not cheap but you will achieve your goal

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

On eBay, someone is selling new no hole covers that appear to be copies of the old Cal Customs in the $70 range a pair.

Gary

16. Hotrodmeister

Hotrodmeister
    from Virginia

I really appreciate everyone of you guys taking the time to help out!