Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Brought my '49 Business coupe home! **Update**

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Channel49, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

It looks fantastic in the sun . I figured if I sand it pretty smooth it would help with removal a bit. My thought was with the rough texture of primer, it would really grab on :( . How about where the skirts meet the body ? Do ya think it's going to stick fast and tear up if you remove them, say to fix a flat tire ? I've never really seen the stuff up close or felt the texture to draw any conclusions. I'm excited though , seeing how nice yours looks .

2. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Thanks. I really haven't done much at all this winter. First thing in the spring, I want to straighten out a few issues, then drive the hell out of it ! My car certainly looks better all one color in primer, but I think with a "real" color on it, out will look even better.

3. Channel49

Channel49

Well, my 'dip guy' (Ok, that just sounds wrong) took the skirts off to spray and let them dry for a few days before re-attachment. He says they shouldn't tack to each other during removal but I guess only time will tell.

Another thing to note here is that he did my door jambs as well as my entire trunk lid including underside. He did remove my bumpers and door handles and also my custom grille to make things a bit easier. Its not your average $500 dip job! he also did 4 layers black as a base coat and 4 layers of dark cherry. The more you spray on, the easier it is to peal off. I'm not too concerned about removal.

4. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

5. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I'm really liking that floor! Nice work!

6. TonyVan

TonyVan
    from Vancouver

Just popping on a couple hubcaps would take it up yet another level..

7. GREAT lookin' car.... As for your electrical issues, your dash lights may be just fine, but the dark blue lenses Ford put on the shoebox's darken to absolute black over time. Check out my website for the fix and how to make that dash POP ! Other electrical issues are addressed too, including making the clock work again and proper lights to use to make the dash look KILLER..
    Scroll down to the part where I addressed the lenses in this gallery.
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/Tips-and-Tricks/

Click on the little house on the upper left to go to the "home page" and there are dozens of other galleries where I posted pics and text on other issues with building my "little baby" or click here...
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/

And don't miss the videos of "first drive"...
    https://49fordcoupe.smugmug.com/First-Drive-February-15-2015/

8. Channel49

Channel49

^^ Thanks for the great tips! I read the whole thing. There was no factory clock that came with the car so its just a blank steel plate where the clock is supposed to be. Kind of cool actually as I have never seen one without.

As for the gauges, I need to take it all apart and check things closely. The signal indicators work and are nice and bright. The backlight does work but none of the gauges work at all including the speedometer. I have some work ahead of me!