Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 Buick build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Black Clover Custom, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Nice place man. Looking forward to this build:)

Black Clover Custom likes this.
  2. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Just ordered a 2 post lift from Greg Smith Equipment here in Eugene. Going in on the 16th!
    But i cant figure out where to put it!!!
    'Ben thinking about it and i dont know if it should be right infront of the roll up door like normal or inside the left area. I know it isnt a big deal but i dont know why its a problem to figure out.
    I would appreciate any ideas on this if anybody has any...
    Dont want it to be in the way or have to move it for some future paintbooth or...

3. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Before I got my lift I found the dimensions of the mounting pads , and overall width. I made card board pads and laid them out on the grid then stacked a couple things and walked around them for a few days, that lets you see if it works out. Mine ended up best 15' inside the door and a direct drive in. My door is 18' wide. On a different subject, the pipe on your wood stove would be better if it could be straight up, more support and less floor space . The one I had like yours burned out at the elbow , I welded up the back and cut a new hole in the top. Very nice place you have, and the weather looks nicer than this side of Oregon {eastern}

4. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Hey thanks.
    Yeah the wood stove is going to be moved to the wall on the door side. I dont like it in the middle of the room.
    I am leaning on putting the lift like you did. Seems the easiest for driving in and out, but if the car is not driving yet then i would have to open the door everytime i moved something off the lift?
    Spent time today taking things off of the walls and taking apart weird shelving. Gonna move the shower and sink inside the small sleeping room on the right so its all one area. (family hotel).
    Weather is doing good over here! You guys have tons of snow i think.

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

We had a couple feet but its shrinking and some ground shows. Freezing fog the last few days. Good luck on your endeavers

6. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

today is the anniversary of when i was shot in the chest in Somalia Africa in Mogadishu... It was a Friday the 13th that year in 1993. I was a navy Medic with the 1st Mar Div 3/9 Kilo Company Hoorah!
    It was an AK47 Russian 7.62 from about 50 feet away that got me dead center. Right upper lung through and through upper chest wound.
    That shit hurt. I have a picture of when it happened as a combat photographer was with our patrol and ran up to me to snap pics. I flipped him off cause he wasnt helping me. Hahaha. He didnt give me that pic!
    Anyway, reminds me to thank all you Vets out there for your service.

7. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

garage toys 003.JPG garage toys 002.JPG garage toys 001.JPG New toys in the garage!
    Next is Air compressor, English wheel, Power hammer, Shaping tools and a lathe.
    Tax time is gonna be good.

8. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

SCORE!
    Shop closing sale and i win! $800.
    But im wondering if a small piece may be missing on the planishing hammer lower adjustment area... seems a bit too much space even when fully tightened but i wouldnt really know. Any help would be appreciated! tool score from shop 001.JPG tool score from shop 002.JPG tool score from shop 003.JPG tool score from shop 004.JPG tool score from shop 005.JPG tool score from shop 006.JPG tool score from shop 007.JPG tool score from shop 008.JPG

9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Looks like you did well. The planishing hammer looks right. You will have to put air and metal to tell , I sometimes put an o ring between the lower anvil and shaft. If you get too tight you can thin the metal to a razor edge. When you get a lathe you can make different anvils and top pieces

10. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Cool. Kinda what i was thinking as far as the lower anvil. The rubber piece you see on the top of it just sitting around the shaft was too big to cram in between so i was looking for another already.
    Thanks for your input! Im on the right track then.
    Going to go back to the same guy for a small sheet metal brake and roller... He is giving this stuff away!

11. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Another round of tools from same cat. He even wanted to sell me his tool box with tools. He must have some really nice stuff in his shop if he sold me all his little stuff he started with! Time to build some stairs in here for storage area and get a compressor.
    Friend at wifes work wants me to weld and install a winch bumper kit he bought onto his 4runner. Cool, start to make some money back to pay for this stuff!
    yup more stuff 004.JPG yup more stuff 003.JPG yup more stuff 002.JPG yup more stuff 001.JPG

12. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Got my Southy in and a compressor. Gettin close to working on the dang car again. And started to work on a 4runner weld on winch bumper kit. Kid got in the way :)
    runner dually 002.JPG runner dually 003.JPG runner dually 004.JPG runner dually 001.JPG

13. Hoopz

Hoopz

Can I ask you a couple of quick questions:

1. Is that a symmetrical hoist (lift)?
    2. What are the measurements from center of hoist to front of car and to rear of car, I have a 55 Special and want to get a hoist but need to know size for placement in the garage.
    3. What is the height of the hoist?

Thanks very much.

Hoopz
    P.s. Glad to hear you made it through that ordeal in 93' that was a couple of years before I joined up in NZ. Always nice to hear of fellow soldiers that make it home.

14. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yes this hoist is symmetrical.
    Its 12' tall and i will measure it later and front and rear and sidewayz for ya.
    $2550 10k lb capacity from greg smith equipment . com
    Cheers.

15. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

I know its not my Buick build but it was good practice with the new welder to do this winch bumper.
    This customer is out the door and i got to see how good i am with the new better welder. Its good.
    But now i know i need a tubing notcher or just more cutting disks and grinders.
    Or a bench vice and a hack saw with good blades.
    I actually notched the tubing with the gas torch! and finished it with angle grinder. Sucks. Ran out of cutting wheels. And band saw blade was dead.
    I would start on the buick if my trucks fuel pump didnt go out!
    Gotta do the head gaskets on the wifes Rover too.
    Not ever enough time right? first customer 001.JPG first customer 002.JPG first customer 003.JPG first customer 004.JPG first customer 005.JPG first customer 006.JPG

16. BCC nice welds, good luck finding your Model A

17. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Thanks.
    See you do interiors eh?
    One day my car will need some of that! Headliner too.

18. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi BCC.Thanks for your service sir.God bless ya.Nice score on the equipment.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

19. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

I did a 401 Dual Quad swap in my 1956 Buick Wagon, I also used the motor mount brackets from Russ Martin in Grass Valley. I used Sanderson type Headers, but had to modify the second tube to clear the steering box. Good luck on your project.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Dang! Nice wagon.
    Yeah I heard about the power steering box and 401 clearance problem but i thought it wouldnt work together at all! Thats an easy fix on the header to make the combo work.
    I pulled all the power steering stuff off of the 55 to use.
    Thanks for the pics!

21. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Think im gonna have Russ go through the motor his way just to make sure she runs problem free.
    And im definitely buying the complete adapter kit hes got for the 4spd/401 with clutch and all. Cant wait for that.
    What oil pan did you put on it? Finned?

22. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

ITS OFFICIAL... I bought another project so THIS 54 BUICK IS FOR SALE!
    Yup. A bad 41 merc coupe on here proved way too cool for me to pass up so i bought it and will now sell this car to help recover the cost. I will sell this car complete or each piece on its own! SO let me know if you know anyone interested in the parts I have for this car, like the 2nd series posi Poncho 9.3!!
    Will be listing this project in the clasifieds later tonight.
    Sorry to close the build but i couldnt resist a little coupe!

23. buzzbrother

buzzbrother

Sweet score on the shop tools. Need to find me a deal like that.

24. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Ok... Coast is clear. Wife has been dooped!
    This car is not for sale!!! Just had to make it look like it was and show her so it would be cool... for awhile.
    Hahaha.
    Build will slow down a bit though with the new car in the stable.

michael knight, LONG and 56premiere like this.
  25. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

So the wife is letting me keep the 54!! She found out i wasnt going to sell it anyway. She laughed about the cover up.
    And my new car is home!!!! 1941 Mercury coupe 007.JPG 1941 Mercury coupe 006.JPG 1941 mercury coupe 5.JPG 1941 mercury coupe 8.JPG 1941 mercury coupe 10.JPG

Attached Files:

'Mo likes this.
  26. JimboSlice423

JimboSlice423
    from Ohio

That's an awesome car!

27. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Yup. I think so too. Drives good too.

28. 'Mo

'Mo

Already a driver? Wow!
    Looks like an older build. I love the shaved deck lid.
    I'm guessing original drive line?

What's next?

29. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

Really really rust free for a east coast car. Pretty much all there.
    So next is going to be to get the exhaust longer and with better mufflers then just do a brake inspection so i can drive it and see how good it does. But from what i can see its good.
    Later I will redo the trunk area and lower rust areas... oh and get a metal gas tank instead of the little plastic one underneath.
    ROAD TEST!

30. Black Clover Custom

Black Clover Custom

IMG_1027.JPG
    Found the actual picture of the day i got shot in Mogadishu Africa. Oh yeah!

hacknwhack and LONG like this.