Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A rebuild......In over my head.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Appletree, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455765126.624893.jpg
    Try for a color scheme like this. I don't have the 32' pinched rail or have it chipped that much , this it kinda what I want it to look like. Oh , and no chrome . Definitely white walls though.

AHotRod, sonic03bluegt and Jet96 like this.
  2. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just curious....some of the tubing on your bench looks like sprinkler pipe....figured you did like me....use here I can cause I get it free....great start cant wait to see more.....oh, yeah most my friends call me shithead so you dont have to call me sir, but its obvious your parents raised you well...kudos to them as well.

3. zkilla396

zkilla396
    from Peoria, IL

Kinda digging the mod motor choice. Not OG, but they are great motors. I have an 02 mustang gt (blown), and a 41 Plymouth. I love old and new(er)

4. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

It doesn't look like you are in over your head to me. Lots of very helpful people on the HAMB, so ask away if you need advice.

5. Nice looking shop....only wished I had that much room and light! Project is looking great and you are moving right along. Is it the picture or does the shifter seem to be waaaaay back there with regard to where you will sit?

6. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Well, I wouldn't consider myself a Ford guy. The first vehicle I can remember was a 85' Ford Ranger, Which was my families first brand new vehicle. That thing lasted forever. First vehicle I ever bought brand new was also a Ranger and it lasted me forever too. Well of course I took care of it. I don't think it really has to do with brands now a days. I think it has to do with the kind of person you are. Some people don't give a shit about what they have and don't take care of it . Some people do. Everything now is made by some country we've been at war with at least once in the past. I just love vintage cars. The simplicity of it all and how people felt about the world and each other is fascinating to me. I put the mod motor in there because it was what I had and just wanted the car to be efficient and safe. I want to be able to drive it to California or Maine .Thanks for the support.

7. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thanks Shithead.

Tim, ClayMart and mike bowling like this.
  8. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thanks. I've been blessed with a great job that allows me to keep my chassis there and work on it. Yes it definitely is. Hoping it will work though . If not, I'll make some to make it work. Thanks again.

9. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thank you! It's been a long road of wins and loses, but I think I'am getting it. Yeah, definitely a plethora of knowledge on here.

10. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455852696.046515.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455852738.516852.jpg
    Just bought a Eastwood Vera Cut 60. Man this tool is great! Cuts with ease. Can't wait to learn more with it and get a steadier hand with it.Why did I wait so long to buy a plasma cutter before...... Can cut from 18 gag to 7/8. Wasn't the most expensive, but definitely not the cheapest.

keywestjack likes this.
  11. mike bowling

mike bowling

Aren't new tools fun? Kind of beats the "get a bigger hammer" approach!
    Imagine what DaVinci could have done with a Plasma??

Project is looking GOOD- I love "A"s.

12. Nice project. Just take your time and when you feel overwhelmed, cover it up and come back a few weeks later. You will be revitalized and dig right in again. My daughter gave me that advice and it allowed me to finish my project after 5 years! Mine is the gray truck. image.jpeg

13. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Yes sir, they sure are. All those cool designs he drew could come to life. Maybe we would be lucky enough fo him to like model A's....

Jet96 likes this.
  14. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Great advice!Thanks. Wow , nice looking ride. I love that look. I think I found my next project. Thanks

15. 29 2 home.JPG 20160105_163550.jpg
    I'm about 3-4 years into this. Patch panels, suspension, two forward, one back, etc. My avatar was a running driving '35 that I disassembled down to parade rest, then rebuilt with some upgrades and safety stuff-6 yrs , all of this part time, but now retired, so can devote more time to the coupster. Yours is looking good with lots of potential, so keep at it, stand back when it overwhelms and you'll get there. Keep up the good work.

16. chopt top kid

chopt top kid

Looks good from this angle...

17. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Hey appletree, don't sweat it.

I did the same thing, one day I was building a 400hp 4 cylinder and then a flathead powered model A, back to my roots and first vehicle.

My .02 cents worth, read all you can find on your build plan, how you want it to look, ride, suspension setup and so on. Make you plan and go, change it as you go and need to.

Enjoy the car, I love mine and how it came out, finally.

Cliff Ramsdell

18. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thanks! Iam glad your enjoying your retirement. Patience is the key. It's like eating a elephant.

19. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Oh, and love the "coupster" ! I love different.

20. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thank you sir.

21. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I dream every day what mines going to look like .

22. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Been really busy the last few weeks. Decides to change the rack a bit and go with a different tire size.... Hopefully for the better. Bought a dry erase broad to have my project plan on hand and visible at all times. I tend to get more done with a good list and some direction. IMG_2140[1].JPG

Attached Files:

Kool49 likes this.
  23. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Also started blocking the engine and rear end so I can start fabbing front and rear shock mounts. Bought the engine mounts from Welder Series. They make some pretty good stuff and have a ton of tech and "how to" vids. IMG_2158[1].JPG IMG_2160[1].JPG IMG_2159[1].JPG IMG_2164[1].JPG IMG_2159[1].JPG IMG_2161[1].JPG

Also , A good magnetic digital level should be a must. Not saying it cant be done with a nice angle finder, because that fancy digital level is only as good as the surface you calibrate it on....

24. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

IMG_2130[1].JPG IMG_2111[1].JPG IMG_2119[1].JPG IMG_2117[1].JPG

Few more pics of the braces before I tacked everything in.

Texas57 likes this.
  25. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Having a few issue on engine placement. Not sure how much room I'll have for the w/p, fan, dressing etc... I have the engine tacked in , but nothing permanent. I'am ordering a mazirere electric w/p, electric fan and shroud for mock up. Using the OEM harmonic balancer and the alternator is set back on top of the intake, so don't foresee a problem with those components. The only other thing I might need is a idler pulley for the belt. Not runner power steering or A/C. Any advice for me????? IMG_2142[1].JPG IMG_2112[1].JPG

26. What vintage is the 4.6? ....if it has coil packs up front, they're the closest thing to your radiator/elec. fan, but it can be converted to COP's eliminating those bulky coil packs and of course spark plug wires as well. This is getting OT, so if you need info on that, PM me.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project, the neat uncluttered garage is something i

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice project, the neat uncluttered garage is something I've never had. Bob

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  29. Appletree

Appletree
    from Houston

Thanks! Of course it doesn't always look like that....

30. Enjoying this build, thanks for the great pics.