Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wrong Trend on the Right Car?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Wrong Trend on the Right Car?

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    302GMC likes this.
  2. williebill

williebill

Uh oh, did you have to start with quads?
    I haven't read a quad lights suck post in several weeks, guess it's time for another one.
    Is there a social group for people who like quads, but are afraid to say it?
    Sign me up.
    I'm thinking about putting 6 headlights on my next car.
    If an Impala can have 6 taillights, why not 6 headlights?

3. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I hear ya! great examples, the shoebox ford would look way better with bumpers than nerfs. And that poor 56 chevy with the floating bumper.... oh my!

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I think the expression of the statues overlooking that overdone Victoria sums it up.

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

upload_2016-2-18_10-58-23.png

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.....

Jet96, SR100, Texas57 and 1 other person like this.
  6. There were/are a lot of customizing trends that have not/will not stand the test of time with good results. Many times the most successful custom work and vehicles are the ones with restraint. A lesson that should be learned by all.

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

X2

8. Kinky6

Kinky6

Williebill, I have to confess that I am mostly in the "quads suck" camp, but not in all cases. I think its one of those style trends that doesn't work on everything, just because you found a way to stick them on the front of your ride. OTOH, when they work, they're cool. Last time I saw this sort of topic up, someone posted a F-100, about a '56, canted quads, on the same "tilt" as the sides of the grille opening. Not too over the top, just carefully laid out, and they worked! I guess that's the thing about quads, they're just too easy to do wrong.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Jive-Bomber likes this.
  9. flamingokid

flamingokid

Exactly what I was going to say.99 times out of 100 it doesn't work,the one time it does,was it worth it?

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  10. 'Mo

'Mo

Curiously enough, three of the five cars pictured were by the same (famous) builder.

leadfootloon likes this.
  11. Quad headlights don't always work but I have to admit, I LIKE THEM.
    I could post examples but you either like them or you don't.

12. I agree, Ryan. And some of the best builders of their day could drop some real steamers.

13. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the late fifties, a couple of young guys working in the Newman Bodyshop in Lyman, Iowa customized another "Lymanite" persons 53 Chevy with canted quad headlights, custom grille and to be honest a lot of other nice bodywork that I can't remember, I am not a big custom fan but I have fond memories of it, wish I had a picture (other than in my mind) of it and wonder what ever happened to it.

14. Torchie

Torchie

I like quads when they are used at an angle or horizontal. Not so much when used straight up and down. Also. How many of the cars that were pictured were built strictly for shows. More Mods = More Points.
    Like most art forms sooner or later the artist runs out of things to say/do/play that are new. So they either start to repeat themselves or they go overboard.
    I still wouldn't kick any of them out of my garage except for that Valiant pimp mobile that was posted..... :)
    Torchie

15. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS PHOTOSHOPPED!!!
    PLEASE

16. indyjps

indyjps

I wasn't there for it, did the points per modification judging system drive a lot of this?

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

upload_2016-2-18_13-21-28.png upload_2016-2-18_13-21-56.png upload_2016-2-18_13-22-11.png upload_2016-2-18_13-22-41.png

These were promotional advertising cars build by Gene Winfield and then George Barris for Manufacturers Hanover Trust. Predated photoshop by about 35 years.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Jet96 and indyjps like this.
  18. I don't know why but the quads never did it for me. Even factory just not doing it for me. Can't explain it.

19. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

I have to say I like most of what you mentioned when done in good taste on the right car. Some awesome builds came from that era but a lot of people saw what was done and executed it very poorly. Like today, lambo doors work on a Lamborghini and Bently grills look good on Bentlys but neither work on a 2009 chrysler 300.
    It was a golden era for over the top show cars but an akward phase for the rest of the guys who saw what they liked but didnt actualy understand why it looked good. More of just "4 head lights, yep put these right here.. Nailed it"

We have had decades to analyze the past and cherry pick each perfect detail for our projects. They were in the moment with not internet, just vague how to articles in rod and custom.

20. Actually of the cars posted while the paint is a little busy for my taste and the lakes pipes could go easy enough as a whole I kind of like the '58 Chevy.

The problem with customs by the later '50s and earlier and I believe what killed customs for a long time was excess for the sake of excess. A good clean custom is subtle, but when it came to building show cars and the points system things got out of hand. Hell you even got points for a pin stripped gas can in the trunk. I don't know who's idea the points system was but it was a bad idea.

Fingers, BORRACHO13 and Gabe Fernando like this.
  21. All this merely proves (yet again) that not everyone had clarity of design when building these cars... and that can go for the big names too...

22. Citroen did something similar to the Hanover ads:

[​IMG]

23. blackanblue likes this.
  24. I think the idea here is not that "quads suck" or a that wild paint job can't be done tastefully, but that too often people do stuff to their cars that doesn't necessarily improve the general vibe of the car.
    You usually do not see people doing things to their hotrod that decrease performance or handling, because a hotrod is a purpose built performance machine. When building a custom though, often its owner does not keep the the car's purpose in mind. A custom's job is to look good, damn good. Style is king. Proportions and flow are key, nothing should be added or removed without paying attention to how it flows with the rest of the car. I think of customizing more as beautification than modification.
    Other than that it just comes down to personal preference.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  25. blackanblue

blackanblue

Yuk,I had a paisley shirt once.

26. HockeyAssLauren

HockeyAssLauren

Nice ad - Blast from the past while showing us recoloring will never go out of style

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sorry guy's lots of 50's-60's Customs were flat out Fugly. The sad part is it takes just as much time and money to build an ugly car as it does to build something good looking.

28. 'Mo

'Mo

The late fifties were a monument to excess throughout the American auto industry. It is only natural that customs succumbed to the same "aesthetics".

[​IMG]

Gabe Fernando, Jet96, czuch and 4 others like this.
  29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

"Custom Royal Lancer" ... reminiscent of "His Imperial Excellence", and "Grand Exalted Wizard"
    Love the descriptive adjectivery...
    Supreme handles like this, and some wore hoods to remain...anonymous... :rolleyes:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  30. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Things haven't changed that much. An alarming majority of people customizing cars & trucks today still subscribe to the "lookie how many things I changed" idea ...